35 weeks & read too much. I’m a worrier!

ems2297

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello lovely people.

Sorry this is probably such a pointless post for a lot of people but will go such a long way if I can have some answers and hopefully reassurance from real diabetics.

All through my pregnancy I’ve had doctors etc telling me about the risks. I have a Dexcom and fairly well controlled (although insulin resistance is making it extremely hard at the mo!!) I’ve been told to aim for 70% in target at the moment I average around 65%.

I’ve been googling and reading stories and seen a lot of type ones losing their babies around my gestation now 35-36 weeks.

I don’t track babies movements as such but am aware when he does move. I see that this is often a sign?

What can I do to try and prevent this. Is there anything I can do to stop worrying even
I have a growth scan next Tuesday and seeing the team then.
But I am the type who worries about worrying!!!

I can’t imagine not having this bubba. His nursery is ready, he has a name it’s terrifying.
How do I enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy without being paranoid
Or do I not?
Is this normal?!?

Love to all that’s read this lengthy post. I’m grateful x

• Hug
Reactions: MrsA2 and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @ems2297 and welcome.
Not sure I can help, or who you regard as ‘real diabetics’. I am answering as someone with T2, old enough to be your granny, with grown up children following difficult pregnancies, which did cause a lot of anxiety. So I am not without empathy, and a little understanding.
I would hope that as well as telling you of risks the doctors , midwifery team, diabetes team etc are all giving you the opportunity to discuss your anxieties? Also that you have supportive people around you. You need to tell them your fears.
It is probably not a good idea to read up on negative outcomes. These last weeks of pregnancy need to have you feeling relaxed and calm. For you and the baby.
Although I can’t advise from personal experience, as mine was gestational diabetes, I gave birth to full term, healthy, big baby, after spending 3 months in hospital. This was many years ago, and several other mothers in the ward with me has T1 diabetes. Carefully monitored and induced early if there were perceived problems.
Please speak to your teams of health professionals about your concerns. They ought to take those concerns seriously.
I guess the main purpose of my post is to bump it up the recent post list in the hope that somebody will have more relevant, up to date, experience to reassure you.
Best wishes to you, and please do let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I, too, was hoping someone more knowledge and experienced would have come along by now

All I can add, as a T2 whose baby is now 28 (eek!) , is that all mum's worry, and I can only imagine how much more that worry must be with other conditions too.
Do voice your concerns to your team, worrying inside silently will only make it worse.
35 weeks is very nearly there. The vast vast majority of babies and mothers make it safely through and I'm sure you will to.

I echo every word Pipp said.
And no one enjoys the last few weeks thats just an over expectation -they are so uncomfortable . You can't reach your toes, or eat without indigestion, or sleep comfortably. Bubba will be kicking in all the wrong places...
Do I need to carry on? ;)
Just be ready to raise any concerns, trust your instincts and not be meek. You are already a mum and will fight for your baby, now and for the rest of your lives

Reactions: Pipp and Antje77