8 year old daughters sugar level was 8.1about 10 minutes after tea - should I be concerned

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything about diabetes
hi everyone - brief background

My 8 year old daughter - is very fit and active and certainly not overweight

I am a type 1 mother so I check her blood every now and then say if she cuts her finger or starts drinking a lot of fluid all of a sudden . She has had a few quite high readings but then fasting readings the following day have been perfect so I havnt done anything about it.

Anyway she was playing in back garden straight after tea and she was only out there for 5 minutes before she came in with a cut on her foot so after I cleaned her foot I decided I would test her blood and it was 8.2! Is this high and would this be classed as pre diabetes? I doubt her food that she had eaten for tea would have been digested yet so I don’t think that was the reason for it to be high. I am really worried a fear I have passed down my illness please can you give me help on the sugar ranges as I am a bit unsure for children or if that even makes any difference - what do you think the best course of action is

Thank you for reading

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
She may have had an adrenaline boost if she was upset or scared. This can raise blood glucose levels almost immediately.

My daughter turned in a high blood glucose test and her mom and I didn't hesitate, we took her straight to the hospital because with diabetes, the sooner diagnosed the better. Her mom and I are both diabetic so the doctors think its genetic. My advice to any parent that thinks they're child might be predeitbtic or diabetic, do not hesitate and seek professional help ASAP.

Reactions: 1spuds

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My daughter turned in a high blood glucose test and her mom and I didn't hesitate, we took her straight to the hospital because with diabetes, the sooner diagnosed the better. Her mom and I are both diabetic so the doctors think its genetic. My advice to any parent that thinks they're child might be predeitbtic or diabetic, do not hesitate and seek professional help ASAP.
How high was that high reading, just out of interest?

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have concerns for your childs health I say trust your gut and get her in for a physical.There is no downside to getting her a check up.