800 calories a day

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I can't really comment on Douglas as I'm sure he is aware of the facts but the rest is spot on. Education is key here.

You'll find unfortunately some on here can only ever advocate LCHF, and are very anti any other diet, to the point where they jump into every low calorie thread on here.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll find unfortunately some on here can only ever advocate LCHF, and are very anti any other diet, to the point where they jump into every low calorie thread on here.
I seem to remember you jumping into every thread of mine and many others with such vigour too in order to do exactly the same against LCHF.

If the cap fits.....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me a calorie IS NOT a calorie. I could eat a stick of butter a day ( along with my other food) and probably lose weight. If I eat a piece of bread a day I'd gain 10#s. Everytime I've ramped up carbs ( still being low carb) I lack the pounds on. Not to mention fatigue and brain fog. Weight watchers allows you a certain number of points. Do you think someone's weight would stay the same eating all those points in desert and sweets rather than protein and veggies? I think not...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For me a calorie IS NOT a calorie. I could eat a stick of butter a day ( along with my other food) and probably lose weight. If I eat a piece of bread a day I'd gain 10#s. Everytime I've ramped up carbs ( still being low carb) I lack the pounds on. Not to mention fatigue and brain fog. Weight watchers allows you a certain number of points. Do you think someone's weight would stay the same eating all those points in desert and sweets rather than protein and veggies? I think not...

My point exactly, what I eat doesn't really matter, for me if I expend more energy than I eat, I'm fine.
I do agree many on here can't seem to understand some of us are different to them though.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
However, possibly the thread should go back on track to be fair to the op, so maybe those who have reversed diabetes by an 800 calorie diet should answer the op's question?
Especially those that did it by a high carb shake primarily?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I did 800 cals a day, using shakes years ago. I lost a negligible amount of weight and it was all part of the yo-yo dieting that helped me on the way to T2. If you have never dieted before I would say go for it, the 800 cals a day could work for you. Be aware though that there is a limit to how many times you can afford regain some weight (for example over Christmas and holidays) and then reduce calories to lose it again. It gradually slows your metabolism. It may work for perhaps 8 or 9 weight gains, but then it gets harder. It's much better to lose the weight, then find out the correct maintenance diet and stay there.

Reactions: douglas99

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I did 800 cals a day, using shakes years ago. I lost a negligible amount of weight and it was all part of the yo-yo dieting that helped me on the way to T2. If you have never dieted before I would say go for it, the 800 cals a day could work for you. Be aware though that there is a limit to how many times you can afford regain some weight (for example over Christmas and holidays) and then reduce calories to lose it again. It gradually slows your metabolism. It may work for perhaps 8 or 9 weight gains, but then it gets harder. It's much better to lose the weight, then find out the correct maintenance diet and stay there.

Hopefully this is something the new study of the Newcastle Diet may address.
I never dieted previously, ate badly, and ate to being overweight, and Type 2.
So, for me, the first real diet I did was to reverse type 2.

Reactions: Jamesuk9 and zand

tanulalbalpal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
My 2pence on diet for diabetes well under 1000 calories a month. (specifically for Indians)

Early morning (7am)
1 cup of tea + 2 Marie biscuits

Breakfast (8-8:30 am)
Oats/Muesli/Wheat flakes + ½ cup non-fat milk
OR
2 Phulka (no oil) + subji/ 2 Methi paratha (no oil) + 1 bowl of low-fat yogurt
OR
1 bowl of poha/ upma
OR
2 Egg whites + 2 slices of multigrain bread

Mid-morning snack (11 am)
1 Orange/ 1 cucumber/ 1 apple/ 1 pear/ 1 bowl of papaya/ 1 bowl of watermelon
OR
½ bowl of roasted chana/ 1 bowl of sprouts

Lunch (1 pm)
1 bowl of salad + 2 phulkas (no oil) + 1 bowl of subji + 1 bowl of dal
OR
1 bowl of salad + 1 bowl of brown rice + 1bowl of dal + 1 bowl of subji
OR
Dalia khichadi + subji + 1 bowl of non-fat curd

Evening (4pm)
1 cup of Green tea + 2 biscuits
OR
1 glass of butter milk
OR
1 bowl of sprouts/ murmura (puffed rice)

Dinner (7 pm)
1 phulka (no oil) + 1 bowl of subji + 1 bowl of dal
OR
1 bowl of salad + 1bowl of vegetable soup
OR
Grilled paneer/chicken /fish + 1 bowl of salad

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 2pence on diet for diabetes well under 1000 calories a month. (specifically for Indians)

Early morning (7am)
1 cup of tea + 2 Marie biscuits

Breakfast (8-8:30 am)
Oats/Muesli/Wheat flakes + ½ cup non-fat milk
OR
2 Phulka (no oil) + subji/ 2 Methi paratha (no oil) + 1 bowl of low-fat yogurt
OR
1 bowl of poha/ upma
OR
2 Egg whites + 2 slices of multigrain bread

Mid-morning snack (11 am)
1 Orange/ 1 cucumber/ 1 apple/ 1 pear/ 1 bowl of papaya/ 1 bowl of watermelon
OR
½ bowl of roasted chana/ 1 bowl of sprouts

Lunch (1 pm)
1 bowl of salad + 2 phulkas (no oil) + 1 bowl of subji + 1 bowl of dal
OR
1 bowl of salad + 1 bowl of brown rice + 1bowl of dal + 1 bowl of subji
OR
Dalia khichadi + subji + 1 bowl of non-fat curd

Evening (4pm)
1 cup of Green tea + 2 biscuits
OR
1 glass of butter milk
OR
1 bowl of sprouts/ murmura (puffed rice)

Dinner (7 pm)
1 phulka (no oil) + 1 bowl of subji + 1 bowl of dal
OR
1 bowl of salad + 1bowl of vegetable soup
OR
Grilled paneer/chicken /fish + 1 bowl of salad

I think you eat far too many bisquits and too much wheat---

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Last year I cut my cals down to around 800 and I didn't know about a newcastle diet or anything. I simply saw the odd article that reducing the amount of cals in would mean that I would burn body fat.

Now, I did lose 5kg in 6 months. Which was nice. However, my BG was still as hard to control as ever and I was hungry. All. The. Time.

I'm convinced it's no way to live. Constantly counting cals and feeling hungry all the time and no impact on BG levels. It was pretty naff.

I stopped counting cals and the weight piled back on.

(I know this isn't the forum but.. I now cut carbs - LCHF. Weight loss, never hungry, BG the best it's ever been. Fabulous)

Reactions: ringi

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.

Early morning (7am)
1 cup of tea + 2 Marie biscuits ... etc

I'm with @Freema, this is a lot of Carbs. It would be interesting to know how you BG is on this diet (it sounds healthy (according to govt guidelines) but is it good for you).

Reactions: Freema

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last year I cut my cals down to around 800 and I didn't know about a newcastle diet or anything. I simply saw the odd article that reducing the amount of cals in would mean that I would burn body fat.

Now, I did lose 5kg in 6 months. Which was nice. However, my BG was still as hard to control as ever and I was hungry. All. The. Time.

I'm convinced it's no way to live. Constantly counting cals and feeling hungry all the time and no impact on BG levels. It was pretty naff.

I stopped counting cals and the weight piled back on.

(I know this isn't the forum but.. I now cut carbs - LCHF. Weight loss, never hungry, BG the best it's ever been. Fabulous)

You're right, it's a low calorie forum, and to be fair, the Newcastle Diet isn't going to work if you're type 1.
More research!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I'm with @Freema, this is a lot of Carbs. It would be interesting to know how you BG is on this diet (it sounds healthy (according to govt guidelines) but is it good for you).

Looks low calorie to me.
What have you worked the days carbs/proteins/fats out at?
Especially compared to the original Newcastle Diet?
Or is this just a knee jerk response?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks low calorie to me.
Yes me too, and this is the low cal forum not the low carb forum. I'm not au fait with some of the things on the list, but it looks like this diet could be HCLF. If the fat content is low enough there is no reason why this shouldn't work for some folks. I, like many others here prefer LCHF, but I have read a little about HCLF - enough to be convinced that it can have its place in T2 management. The problem with HCLF is that meat eaters are nearly always too high fat for this to work, so normally it's best for vegans. But whatever works for the individual is what's right for the individual. :)

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Looks low calorie to me.
I get that this is a low cal forum. In my post up above I said that I was on a low cal diet for about 6 months, and that it did indeed work in that I lost weight. But it wasn't very fun. I was always hungry and just became a chore counting cals all the time.
My second post... well, that was a carb post. Very sorry :(