A great course for learning about diabetes.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
FUTURELEARN are running a free online course "The Diabetes Epidemic". It commences on 28th November and runs for two weeks. I participated last time it ran and found that I learned quite a lot about the condition.
For anyone recently diagnosed it would be a good source of background knowledge, or for that matter anyone wanting to learn a bit more on the subject.
A quote from the course descriptor :

This course aims to provide accessible material that emphasises the human element and self-care aspects of living with this chronic condition. It will facilitate learning through interactive media and peer discussion to enhancing knowledge around how diabetes develops, potential treatments, associated disease complications, global challenges, quality care and self-management practices.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/diabetes-epidemic

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Epidemic is a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time.

Diabetes is not infectious. Let's keep things factual.
In defence of the original post epidemic can be used as an adjective, meaning widespread. extensive etc.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Epidemic is a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time.

Diabetes is not infectious. Let's keep things factual.
You are correct in the strict medical interpretation of "epidemic", but within the context of the course descriptor as would be interpreted by the vast majority of the population "epidemic" is likely to be interpreted as a widespread occurence, particularly given the very welcome increase in public awareness about the rise in the condition.
Επιδηιος - to get back to basics :)

Reactions: Salvia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FUTURELEARN are running a free online course "The Diabetes Epidemic". It commences on 28th November and runs for two weeks. I participated last time it ran and found that I learned quite a lot about the condition.
For anyone recently diagnosed it would be a good source of background knowledge, or for that matter anyone wanting to learn a bit more on the subject.
A quote from the course descriptor :

This course aims to provide accessible material that emphasises the human element and self-care aspects of living with this chronic condition. It will facilitate learning through interactive media and peer discussion to enhancing knowledge around how diabetes develops, potential treatments, associated disease complications, global challenges, quality care and self-management practices.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/diabetes-epidemic
Can you give us a flavour of their stance? i.e. what do they teach?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you give us a flavour of their stance? i.e. what do they teach?
It's pretty much what is stated in the course descriptor bulkbiker. How diabetes develops and how to handle it. There's also sections about broader global issues. You don't have to do all the modules - can skip any that don't interest you.
I found that it drew together stuff that I'd stuggled to find from other sources into one fairly well organised and presented form. There's no specific, detailed diets though one can gain an understanding about how what you eat impacts on your condition.
I suggest it's worth a look - if you don't find it useful you can just back out and it doesn't cost a penny. It's given me far better insight into the condition than any health professionals I've seen so far.
I'm thinking about doing the course again as 'revision' !!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's pretty much what is stated in the course descriptor bulkbiker. How diabetes develops and how to handle it. There's also sections about broader global issues. You don't have to do all the modules - can skip any that don't interest you.
I found that it drew together stuff that I'd stuggled to find from other sources into one fairly well organised and presented form. There's no specific, detailed diets though one can gain an understanding about how what you eat impacts on your condition.
I suggest it's worth a look - if you don't find it useful you can just back out and it doesn't cost a penny. It's given me far better insight into the condition than any health professionals I've seen so far.
I'm thinking about doing the course again as 'revision' !!
Sorry if I'm a bit cynical of much of the training around, but does it clarify that carbs are the single most important food factor and doesn't trot out the usual 'avoid fats and salt and have carbs with every meal' mantra. I hope I'm wrong and that it presents up-to-date and researched info and not establishment Group-Think?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can spare the time start the course and make up your own mind. I'm maybe just a simpleton.

I posted the link to the course with the intention of providing what I hoped would be useful, but so far my post has drawn two fairly negative comments in the space of a couple of hours. Doesn't really fill me with confidence for posting on here.
I'm an underweight diebetic desperately trying to come to terms with my condition. Trying to reduce blood sugar, trying to reduce cholesterol intake and blood pressure and at the same time to maintain or increase energy intake. Any and all info I can find is useful, though an often contradictory conundrum.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see this type of course as a potential opportunity to spread the word beyond the immediacy of this forum, via their on-line discussion forums, which are an integral part of their courses. That is where a lot of the learning and sharing of information & experiences is achieved. The FutureLearn "community" (if that's the right description) comprises a bunch of universities from around the world who collaborate together to offer a myriad of free courses to any and all; I think it's something worth supporting.

Admittedly, I have only been around the diabetes community for about 6 months, but as far as I can tell to date, there are few other places where, potentially, points of view other than 'carbs are great and fats are bad' can be aired (except Twitter,Facebook, maybe). I've done several of their courses and always found them to be open-minded, non-prescriptive, guiding not directional and encouraging of a wide variety of opinions from course participants. I'm doing their course Food as Medicine at the moment, and finding it very informative.

I will take a look at the diabetes course and if I find their approach has changed suddenly, or that I am unable to express an opinion, then I have the option to pack my bags & leave.

Reactions: miahara

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can spare the time start the course and make up your own mind. I'm maybe just a simpleton.

I posted the link to the course with the intention of providing what I hoped would be useful, but so far my post has drawn two fairly negative comments in the space of a couple of hours. Doesn't really fill me with confidence for posting on here.
I'm an underweight diebetic desperately trying to come to terms with my condition. Trying to reduce blood sugar, trying to reduce cholesterol intake and blood pressure and at the same time to maintain or increase energy intake. Any and all info I can find is useful, though an often contradictory conundrum.

Please don't feel despondent, miahara, I'm sure there was no intention to be negative, nor to cause you upset. I hope my post helps; sorry but you beat me to it - you posted whilst I was still composing my comments above. :)

I for one am grateful for your post. As it happens, I am booked on the diabetes course as I'm interested to see what their approach will be and also what other course participants have to say. I thought this would be a good way of finding out what people beyond this forum think about food/diet, their condition and how they manage it - or if they manage it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miahara - sorry if we didn't receive your information with enthusiasm, it's just that this forum has become a magnet for people trying to sell all sorts of cures and potions and gawd knows what else. I seem to spend half my time here reporting "spam" posts. It's probably responsible for a fair amount of cynicism amongst members, especially when our health care professionals are also treating us like mushrooms and in many cases giving us advice we know is damaging. Links from relatively new and unknown members can be a red flag for these kinds of activites. Once bitten, twice shy as they say :)

Reactions: BeccyB

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Salvia!
I just get a bit depressed at times due to all the conflicting opinions and advice I read.
BTW 'miahara' is greenglish Greek-English for 'I'm fine' :) Was the first user name I could think of when I signed up. :)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
@miahara - sorry if we didn't receive your information with enthusiasm, it's just that this forum has become a magnet for people trying to sell all sorts of cures and potions and gawd knows what else. I seem to spend half my time here reporting "spam" posts. It's probably responsible for a fair amount of cynicism amongst members, especially when our health care professionals are also treating us like mushrooms and in many cases giving us advice we know is damaging. Links from relatively new and unknown members can be a red flag for these kinds of activites. Once bitten, twice shy as they say :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Signed up for the course and had a look at the previous run.
Week 1 seems OK apart from the dietitian spouting **** about nutrition, but what can you expect? Educated lecturers!
also a question about what foods to avoid correctly identified "diabetic" foods but missed the possible dangers of fruit & starchy carbs!

Last edited: