Accidental overdose of fiasp

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just accidentally injected 50 units of my fast acting insuli fiasp, thinking it was my long acting.

Anything lose to do other than overload with sugar? I need to go to bed but my libre tends to lose connection at night so I’m a tad concerned

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just accidentally injected 50 units of my fast acting insuli fiasp, thinking it was my long acting.

Anything lose to do other than overload with sugar? I need to go to bed but my libre tends to lose connection at night so I’m a tad concerned
Do you know what your insulin to carbs ratio is? How much insulin do you usually take for a 50 grams of carbs meal?

Are you alone?

What amount of Fiasp do you usually take before meals?
I need to go to bed but my libre tends to lose connection at night so I’m a tad concerned
Nope, no bed for now.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been getting treated for type 2 for the last 5 years, and testing has revealed I’m type one. I don’t know what my insulin to carb ratio is, I believe my diabetic nurse said the general rule is 1 unit per 10g carb.

I generally take about 25 units as my levels are always high.

I’m currently sat at 11mmol. I’ve had some sweets and then some porridge for something more longer lasting.

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been getting treated for type 2 for the last 5 years, and testing has revealed I’m type one. I don’t know what my insulin to carb ratio is, I believe my diabetic nurse said the general rule is 1 unit per 10g carb.

I’m currently sat at 11mmol. I’ve had some sweets and then some porridge for something more longer lasting.
If you are in the UK is there an NHS number you can call for advice?
I think everyone has a different insulin to carb ratio and it can change…have no idea how they figure it out, mine has gone from 25 to 40… was a bit horrified to see what dose you had given yourself! For me that would be… not good at all!
think this comes into the realms of medical advice and that is not allowed on here.
do you share your libre data with anyone? Or have a friend or relative you can call to either come to you or check up on you later?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I think you're doing all the right things with the information you have.

I would stay awake for the next couple of hours (it's what I did when I made the exact same mistake) to be on the safe side.
It's very likely you can manage this yourself if you usually take 25 units per meal.
But should you find you keep dropping, don't hesitate to call 999 to help you out.

When it happened to me, not long after diagnosis, I called the Dutch equivalent of 111, and they wanted me to check in with them every hour, and seek company if I could. So I went to the neighbours and we played board games until the early morning. I'm very lucky with my neighbours.
Worth starting a thread on this tomorrow or so, there's lots of useful advice for newly rediagnosed T1's, you're not the only one!
But let's deal with the insulin mix up first.
I'm tagging @EllieM , who's often around at night on the forum because she's in New Zealand, and she's a very experienced T1.

Reactions: Marikev and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi @clarebear like @Antje77 (thanks for the tag BTW) I've done this one too. (It wasn't helped by the fact that we were on holiday at the time and staying in a caravan park. It was past shop opening hours so had to scrape up every bit of sugar we had with us and keep eating and testing.)

Logically, you've had the equivalent insulin to two typical meals? So that gives you an idea of how many carbs you'll need to counteract it. Having said that, if your levels started out high you may find that that will soak up some of the insulin.

In your position I'd stay up for at least a couple of hours and keep an eye on those bgs. Calling 111 might be a good idea just for reassurance, and to clarify whether you should wait till the fiasp is out of your system before taking your long acting... You could consider setting an alarm to wake you during the night so that you don't have to rely on your libre

Good luck.

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, thank you for all your help last night. I kept an eye on it for several hours and didn’t allow it to drop too much, it was a great excuse to eat chocolate. But lesson learnt.

From here I’m interested in learning how to work out my insulin to carb ratio as when I inject 1 unit for 10g carbs my levels shoot up.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for getting back with us to let us know you did well!
From here I’m interested in learning how to work out my insulin to carb ratio as when I inject 1 unit for 10g carbs my levels shoot up.
I would post about this in a new thread with a fitting title for visibilty if I were you.

Most of working out your ratio is trial and error, and log keeping.
You already started doing this without realising: "when I inject 1 unit for 10g carbs my levels shoot up" tells you you need more than one unit for 10 grams of carbs. If you know that, it makes sense to have your dose slightly increased and see what happens.

Being only recently diagnosed, you'll likely want to contact your diabetes nurse to ask if you can start some careful experimenting to work out your ratios.
Once you're in a bit longer, you'll be changing your doses as you see fit.
as my levels are always high.
If your levels are always high, you'll want to look at your basal dose as well. If the basal dose is off, it's almost impossible to get the bolus right.
Again, something to discuss with your DN.

It's also worth looking at timing. If you shoot up after eating, but come down again in a few hours, the dose was likely right but the food worked before the insulin. Many of us found we need to dose a while before eating.

Do you use a CGM like Freestyle Libre or Dexcom or only fingerpricks?
A CGM makes it much easier to spot patterns. The Libre also lets you log food and insulin, which makes it even more easier to see what's happening.

Good luck!

Reactions: EllieM

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Clarebear
Just to let you know I have done the same, it took me about 3 hours to get my levels to the point where I felt safe to go to bed. During that time I phoned 111, I had a phone call from a paramedic 2 calls from a Dr and someone from ambulance control