Advice please-High Blood Glucose and no clue why?

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I started this thread for @irish-colt. I will start off by tagging @daisy1 for you with some advice we give new comers and then I will quote your first post in My fasting glucose this morning:
Hi folks. Started my diet after New Year's Day. Down 6kg from 102kg Got my monitor last week and started taking my fasting blood sugars, normally before 9:00am with nothing to eat from 7:00pm. First reading was 13.4 mmol. Over the week it has averaged 12 mmol's. Am I doing something wrong ? I know it's only been a week but thought with dieting (14 days) I thought it might be around the 8 - 9 level. Any advice would be much appreciated.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbohydrates are the main source of high blood sugar in most of our diets. Use your meter to find out how you react to carbohydrate containing foods by testing your blood glucose before you eat them and then at 1 hour and two hours after you eat them. Eat a measured amount so you know how you reacted to that amount of carbohydrate. Cereals, porridge,potatoes, pasta and rice are all high carbohydrate foods. Armed with the knowledge of how these foods affect your blood glucose eat only the amount that gives you the blood glucose numbers you are looking for.

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everyone is different but fasting bloods for many are probably the
last to stabilise. I would start increasing testing and record you levels prior to eating and then 2 hours afterwards, you need to learn what foods your body can tolerate. It's also a good idea to keep a food diary to give you a better idea what is causing any spikes. Carbs are likely to be one of the main causes for high readings, try limiting you carb intake and see how it affects your readings.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey @irish-colt welcome here , hope you´l enjoy this forum, maybe your carbs are not reduced as much as you need to reduce them to get lower more normal blood glucose, many type 2 diabetics can only manage about under 80 grams of carbs a day otherwise their blood glucose keeps raising to high

there is also the possibillity that you maybe do not produce as much insuline any longer as you used to do, and then you need to have further excaminations at your GP..
some people have a progressing diabetes type 2 , especially if one has neclected ones diabetes somewhat for longer periods, or hasn´t managed to get ones blood glucose really low like almost normal as an average..
when progressing type 2 diabetes it is sometimes a lack of insuline later in the the devellopment where to start with a type 2 has far too much insuline that isn´t taken in by the cell as something isn´t working right because of insuline resistance

Last edited:

irish-colt

Dislikes
Ignorance being passed as expertise
Thanks for all the replies. Firstly, I'm on a low carb diet. No bread, white or otherwise, for the last 10 days. Since Xmas I had been cutting down on my bread intake. No potatoes since New Years Day. Trying to stick to small amounts of Pasta, but haven't had any in the last 5 days and very infrequently before then. Haven't had a rice dish (curries included) for more than 10 days. Mostly I have been eating fresh vegetables normally cooked in a light oil or steamed. Salad veg, eggs, cheese, chicken, beef and pork. Keeping varying day by day but have really cut down on my carbs. And I've been off the alcohol for 9 days (could kill for a nice glass of red right now).

Other than coffee and water that's basically it. Not feeling hungry now that I've adjusted to what I'm eating. I'll start monitoring more during the day than I intended too. Basically I seem to be doing things right....apart from monitoring after meals. Can't really think of much more I can do regards food intake, except try including some, as suggested, and monitoring the results. I take on board the comment about progressive T2 and if things don't improve (reading etc.) I'll get back to my doctors.

My bloods this morning was 13.2
I'll post my bloods again in the morning. Thanks once again for all your advice and I'll continue to watch this forum on a daily basis.

Colum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. Started my diet after New Year's Day. Down 6kg from 102kg Got my monitor last week and started taking my fasting blood sugars, normally before 9:00am with nothing to eat from 7:00pm. First reading was 13.4 mmol. Over the week it has averaged 12 mmol's. Am I doing something wrong ? I know it's only been a week but thought with dieting (14 days) I thought it might be around the 8 - 9 level. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Are you only testing your fasting levels? These won't help you that much, at least not at the beginning. Fasting levels are notoriously unpredictable and subject to various issues we have little control over, sleepless nights, stress, what you do between leaving your bed and testing, and your liver. Our livers like to look after us and when they think we need extra energy to help us start the day they push glucose in our blood stream. They can do this at other times as well as mornings.

If I were you I would test before and 2 hours after eating to sort out a suitable and sustainable way of eating, and pay more attention to your pre-evening meal level as that is the best indicator of how well you are doing. You could also test at bedtime so you can see how much you rise over night.

Reactions: Liam1955

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Colum,
It sounds like you've made a good start. You definitely need to try testing your BS at other times during the day. My BS is always much higher in the morning before breakfast than later. I tend to test any time from 2hrs after lunch up to just before my evening meal and the average of these seems to fit with what I get from the regular blood tests at the GP. My diabetic nurse said not to test in the morning when I know my BS will be at the highest (since I'm only meant to test every other day according to the strips allowed by the GP).

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies. Firstly, I'm on a low carb diet. No bread, white or otherwise, for the last 10 days. Since Xmas I had been cutting down on my bread intake. No potatoes since New Years Day. Trying to stick to small amounts of Pasta, but haven't had any in the last 5 days and very infrequently before then. Haven't had a rice dish (curries included) for more than 10 days. Mostly I have been eating fresh vegetables normally cooked in a light oil or steamed. Salad veg, eggs, cheese, chicken, beef and pork. Keeping varying day by day but have really cut down on my carbs. And I've been off the alcohol for 9 days (could kill for a nice glass of red right now).

Other than coffee and water that's basically it. Not feeling hungry now that I've adjusted to what I'm eating. I'll start monitoring more during the day than I intended too. Basically I seem to be doing things right....apart from monitoring after meals. Can't really think of much more I can do regards food intake, except try including some, as suggested, and monitoring the results. I take on board the comment about progressive T2 and if things don't improve (reading etc.) I'll get back to my doctors.

I'll post my bloods again in the morning. Thanks once again for all your advice and I'll continue to watch this forum on a daily basis.

Colum
hey Colum , well I would worry too, it seem you are doing all the right things and after a fortnight it seem worrying that the numbers hasn´t come futher down... ,but maybe you are stressed as well, and your body could be stressed from a sudden change too... and if you have gained a lot of weight maybe it takes longer time to empthy the liver from sugar reserves as it would have earlier in your diabetes disease.. .. hope your numbers will get much lower... try only to eat 3 times a day, and measure right before your evening meal, where most peoples blood glucose is at its lowest...

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Colum

Hi @irish-colt,

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you've made all the right changes in your diet. Well done.

You might consider replacing the pasta with spiralized zucchini or courgette (or just cut them in strips). I found that when going lchf, having a larger variety of food helped me to stay on track. Most of the pasta sauces like pesto, bolognese, carbonara are actually quite low carb. I've just needed something to have with the sauces.

I am sure your glucose levels will come down, it may take a couple of weeks though. Even as your levels during the day will be lower, fasting levels are often the last to come down (as others have already pointed out). Mine took half a year to be truly normal (below 100 or 5.6).

Last edited:

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just checked back to when I first started low carbing and from where my BS was, in the 13 & 14s, it took me 20 days to reach a 5.9, and 26 to get a 5.5, so keep on with it and I'm sure you'll get there. I tried to keep track of my carbs using My Fitness Pal, and I ditched the pasta along with the bread, potatoes and rice.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@irish-colt

Hello Colum and welcome to the forum :) As mentioned above, here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It contains advice on carbs and levels etc. and contains a link to the Low Carb Program which you could join. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps you could add more fat to your diet for example butter on your veg cream in your coffee this helps you to feel full for longer I have no problem with a glass of red wine with my meal ,quite a few others on this forum also enjoy an occasional glass of wine
CAROL

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi! @irish-colt I should have asked your permission before starting this thread for you-sorry about that. I had to post and run yesterday. I hope you are finding the advice helpful. I notice that you are eating mostly vegetables now-some vegetables and fruits also contain carbohydrates-it may be helpful for you to look up the carbohydrate amount in the vegetables you are eating. Also breading on meats and vegetables and sauces can add a lot of carbohydrates-more than you would think in most cases.

I use chron-o-meter which is a free app but there are many other carb counting tools online. You can also just google the food you eating and get nutrition information on each one. After reading your replies I should have titled this thread-"Have started low carbing but need some fine tuning!"

We all have occasional highs despite doing our best to control our blood glucose. You are absolutely doing the right thing by trying to figure out why yours is high right now.

Also, if you have been drinking regularly and just stopped 10 days ago your liver may be adjusting. I would not panic but would make an appointment to see my doctor to help get it sorted out-liver enzymes can wreck havoc with blood sugars.

Last edited:

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask what medication you're on? You sound exactly like I was last year, even with the low carbs I could barely get my blood sugars out of double figures. My type 2 2 has been getting worse and I was on metformin, gliclaside and Victoza but still had high sugars. I've been on insulin since October and I started low carbs this month and my levels are averaging at 8. Still need to get it lower but it's a start. You might need to speak to DSN about your meds. Good luck

irish-colt

Dislikes
Hi! @irish-colt I should have asked your permission before starting this thread for you-sorry about that. I had to post and run yesterday. I hope you are finding the advice helpful. I notice that you are eating mostly vegetables now-some vegetables and fruits also contain carbohydrates-it may be helpful for you to look up the carbohydrate amount in the vegetables you are eating. Also breading on meats and vegetables and sauces can add a lot of carbohydrates-more than you would think in most cases.

I use chron-o-meter which is a free app but there are many other carb counting tools online. You can also just google the food you eating and get nutrition information on each one. After reading your replies I should have titled this thread-"Have started low carbing but need some fine tuning!"

We all have occasional highs despite doing our best to control our blood glucose. You are absolutely doing the right thing by trying to figure out why yours is high right now.

Also, if you have been drinking regularly and just stopped 10 days ago your liver may be adjusting. I would not panic but would make an appointment to see my doctor to help get it sorted out-liver enzymes can wreck havoc with blood sugars.

Thanks for starting the thread. It has given me some idea of what could be going on. I'm basically doing the old Atkins Diet as regards to carb counting. Following advice I also took me readings 2 hours after lunch (omelette and bacon) and 2 hours after dinner (salad with cheese, hard boiled eggs, raw onion and a thin pork loin chop). The readings are 9.9 and 9.1. Still high, but it is a lot lower than my pre breakfast readings. Wondering if a fasting reading is not the best one to fret over. Going to continue this, as I said, for the next week. After that I will have a better idea of what my readings are doing.
I have, with advice received here, arranged an appointment to talk it over with my Doctor. Typical, can't get an appoint until the end of the month. Going up to see the Practice Nurse the week before to get a blood work up so hopefully I will be able to see an improvement.
Thanks again,
Colum

irish-colt

Dislikes
Perhaps you could add more fat to your diet for example butter on your veg cream in your coffee this helps you to feel full for longer I have no problem with a glass of red wine with my meal ,quite a few others on this forum also enjoy an occasional glass of wine
CAROL
Can I ask what medication you're on? You sound exactly like I was last year, even with the low carbs I could barely get my blood sugars out of double figures. My type 2 2 has been getting worse and I was on metformin, gliclaside and Victoza but still had high sugars. I've been on insulin since October and I started low carbs this month and my levels are averaging at 8. Still need to get it lower but it's a start. You might need to speak to DSN about your meds. Good luck

irish-colt

Dislikes
Sorry about the messing up with replies. Carol,I did wonder about using too much fat, butter etc. But it seems to be fine to do so on a low carb diet so I am going to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ann, I was on Metformin when I was first diagnosed. Fine at first, then I got really sick. Couldn't leave the house because of severe bowel movements. We honestly didn't know what was going on. To make matters worse, neither did the Doctor. I ended up nearly 18 months of Colonoscopy and getting Immodium as a prescription because I was so bad. Hospital finally said no to cancer (whew), took me of Metforminand put me on Gliclaside. Big difference within 48 hours. After that I must confess I wasn't to fussed about diabetic control. It had been such a scare. But got a talking to by the Doctor pre Xmas so back to being good. Thanks for your reply. It means a lot that people are perfectly happy to spare a bit of time to give information and offer encouragement .

Thanks to all who read this. Little by little seems to be the way.

Colum

irish-colt

Dislikes
I've just checked back to when I first started low carbing and from where my BS was, in the 13 & 14s, it took me 20 days to reach a 5.9, and 26 to get a 5.5, so keep on with it and I'm sure you'll get there. I tried to keep track of my carbs using My Fitness Pal, and I ditched the pasta along with the bread, potatoes and rice.
Thank s for the information Rosie. Nice to know that I don't have to worry too much as things will get better as I stick to my diet plan.
Colum