ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
With the advice from members here, I bought some alpha lipoic acid 600mg.
Been taking them about 3 weeks now, was sceptical.
The first two weeks, I took one aday, the past two weeks, one in the morning and one at night.
Wow what a differance.
So I would l8ke to say a big thank you for suggesting it.

Reactions: kokhongw and Struma

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the advice from members here, I bought some alpha lipoic acid 600mg.
Been taking them about 3 weeks now, was sceptical.
The first two weeks, I took one aday, the past two weeks, one in the morning and one at night.
Wow what a differance.
So I would l8ke to say a big thank you for suggesting it.

Gosh, Ally, that really is encouraging.

I'm sure others will also be interested to know, but what differences do you feel so far?

Reactions: Liam1955 and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really pleased for you Ally. I have noticed a good improvement in my feet, although my neuropathy is very mild and nothing like yours. Have you noticed any changes in your blood sugars?

Reactions: dbr10

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh yes bs levels are lower, not a huge difference but are lower though my morning bs lever still varies between 7,s into the 9,s.
By the evenings my feet used to throb so much, that is still there but about 50% better.
Nerve pain doesn,t seem so bad, the nerve pain was so bad that at one point, I was going to ask my gp about painkillers. Pain is alot more bareable

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I'm really pleased for you Ally. I have noticed a good improvement in my feet, although my neuropathy is very mild and nothing like yours. Have you noticed any changes in your blood sugars?
Yes my levels are lower, not a big difference but noticeable
My morning bs readings are still the same

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm SO happy for you ally!! You deserve a break!!!
They are a bit amazing aren't they? I started feeling a difference right away, then it kept getting a little better every day. Now it's a slight. Of course some days aren't as good as others but still far better than my best day !!

Yay for you.

Reactions: ally1

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi :). I bought Swanson Alpha Lipoic Acid Capsules 100mg and only began taking these about 3 weeks ago. Have not noticed any decrease in Blood Sugars = yet!
But, I had 2 Steriod Injections only 2 weeks ago and this has raised my Blood Sugars.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi :). I bought Swanson Alpha Lipoic Acid Capsules 100mg and only began taking these about 3 weeks ago. Have not noticed any decrease in Blood Sugars = yet!
But, I had 2 Steriod Injections only 2 weeks ago and this has raised my Blood Sugars.

Liam, are they the R Fraction -alpha lipoic acid ones? These have twice the absorbance. The ordinary type lose half their power as they don't absorb as well.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Bluetit1802 - Thanks for your post, but have to say got no idea! I have just read the bottle and see no mention of R Fraction. Can you educate me on this? - Please :).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 - Thanks for your post, but have to say got no idea! I have just read the bottle and see no mention of R Fraction. Can you educate me on this? - Please :).

ALA is the active ingredient in both these supplements. It is natural and found in plants and some of the foods we eat. The R-ALA is all ALA other than the coating. The ordinary version is a mix of ALA and synthetic products, sometimes the ALA is less than 50% of the tablet. You can see this if you look at the ingredients on the tub. Therefore, the R-ALA is at least twice as effective, and thought to be even more than that. The cheaper the tablets the less ALA will be in them because it is an expensive ingredient. If it says R_ALA it will be 100%.

Reactions: letstalk1 and ally1

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And if it says Na R-ALA it means the molecules are stabilized with a salt and can be even more potent or so I have been told.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I did look at the price of the RALA capsules and at 5he moment I just can,t afford them with being on benefits.
I will carry on with the ones I have got. They have made a bit of difference

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Bluetit1802 and @JohnEGreen :).
I read up about ALA on the Swansons Site and it is now clear that I have purchased the "cheaper" ALA not containing the R-ALA. I will use up what I have and will definitely purchase the right one next time.
Thank You both for the information and help, very much appreciated :).

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did look at the price of the RALA capsules and at 5he moment I just can,t afford them with being on benefits.
I will carry on with the ones I have got. They have made a bit of difference
Ally, have you compared the price if you had to take half as many? It could come out the same, or close. If you buy 60 caps of ala vs 60 caps r ala the price might come out the same as you'd need less caps per day.

Are you taking 300 mg? Maybe do that for a few weeks and then drop back after the neuropathy is better.