ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ally, have you compared the price if you had to take half as many? It could come out the same, or close. If you buy 60 caps of ala vs 60 caps r ala the price might come out the same as you'd need less caps per day.

Are you taking 300 mg? Maybe do that for a few weeks and then drop back after the neuropathy is better.
I did look at the RALA but the site I got too was an American site. So it was showing in dollars so left. The one that I saw on amazon, which just showed the one RALA, cost 57 pound for 30 capsules

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I went on the Amazon site today and ordered/bought R-ALA 100mg x 60 capsules for £13.85 (p&p was also added on of £3.99) but, when it came to pay I changed delivery to Free, so I it takes a little longer for delivery 7 - 10 days.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Amazon always say 7-10 days but I've usually found them to be quicker than that. Bigvits.co.uk are another site where you can buy them. I have always found them to be extremely quick to deliver - usually next day.

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Amazon always say 7-10 days but I've usually found them to be quicker than that. Bigvits.co.uk are another site where you can buy them. I have always found them to be extremely quick to deliver - usually next day.

Thank You @Nicksu :) - I shall go and have a look on that site:).

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I went on the Amazon site today and ordered/bought R-ALA 100mg x 60 capsules for £13.85 (p&p was also added on of £3.99) but, when it came to pay I changed delivery to Free, so I it takes a little longer for delivery 7 - 10 days.
I looked on amazon and only found the RALA at £39 per 100mg

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I looked on amazon and only found the RALA at £39 per 100mg

Hi @ally1 - On Amazon I saw all strength's and amounts of R-ALA with varying price ranges.

Reactions: ally1

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
GP has my latest figures - just had full blood works and fasting tests

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed a gradual reduction within 3 days. One week in a 50% reduction. Only got better from there. After 3 weeks only faint

300 mg R ALA and 600 regular is the recommended dose. Divided through the day

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
How long were you taking the ALA before you noticed an effect? Days, a week, ... ?
To start with, I only had one at breakfast and after 2 weeks had not made much of a difference so then had one at night and morning and noticed a difference roughly 10 days later

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 and @JohnEGreen :).
I read up about ALA on the Swansons Site and it is now clear that I have purchased the "cheaper" ALA not containing the R-ALA. I will use up what I have and will definitely purchase the right one next time.
Thank You both for the information and help, very much appreciated :).
Hubby takes these for shingles nerve pain and he takes 2 x 300mg and it does seem to be helping :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ALA comes in two isomers L-ALA and R-ALA. The isomers mean that the chemical composition is exactly the same, but the way they are put together is different. One form (R-ALA or right handed ALA) is the one that is better absorbed and thus used, and the normal ALA is not effective. The R-ALA needs extra processing and filtering to extract it ( the manufacture process produces both together, like table sugar is mix of sucrose and fructose, which are isomers of sugar.) This extra processing makes the R-ALA more expensive but more pure. Cheaper brands are generally a mix of R and L isomers, so less effective.

As pointed out above, it may be more effective to pay the extra for R-ALA but reduce the dose.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I began with ALA (ordinary) and noticed a difference in my feet almost immediately. I then changed to R-ALA. However, I have been having some issues with my post meal BS rises being a bit higher than I would expect considering the food eaten. No differences in my base levels. Looking back at my records this started when I started the R-ALA. It may be a coincidence, and there maybe another reason for this, but yesterday I decided to stop taking the R-ALA for a period to see if it makes a difference.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
That's interesting bluetit.
As I had bought the ala first, I take that in the morning and the rala at bedtime.