Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are any other pump users having their emergency (pump failure) back ups removed? (e.g. spare strips, penfill injections and associated paraphernalia?))

Not as yet but I've only just recently started pumping insulin, but if they did remove them they'd be hell to play........

Reactions: 2 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed GP a year or so ago because my old one tried to restrict my test strips and kept not repeating repeat prescriptions.
My new GP is much much better about that stuff, but sadly, like the OP, extremely keen on annual reviews and other entirely pointless appointments (I have at least annual reviews at the hospital clinic).
They genuinely do care and they have reasonable basic knowledge, but their system is very inflexible - if it happens to flag up that they don't have a recent hba1c (very recent - and the hospital, like all hospitals are terrible at sending them in a timely way) or their annoying computer flags that you have high blood pressure (when you don't - you just have one bonkers reading that they took once that was clearly wrong), they won't renew prescriptions until you come and see them.
It drives me nuts! They're always very sympathetic about it and efficient once you get in there, but they don't seem to understand that real people can't take time off work every month or two for yet another pointless appointment of pointlessness!

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pharmacists just come over as having more listening and assesing skills. I can remember a pharmacist contacting me a couple years ago, becsuse they knew I had a pump and some warning had been received by them. The GP's must have had the same warning, but it was the pharmacy that contacted me.
No wonder the NHS are trying to het Pharmacists to help out GP's!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It drives me nuts! They're always very sympathetic about it and efficient once you get in there, but they don't seem to understand that real people can't take time off work every month or two for yet another pointless appointment of pointlessness!
A pointless appointment would be a disappointment ;)

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I changed GP a year or so ago because my old one tried to restrict my test strips and kept not repeating repeat prescriptions.
My new GP is much much better about that stuff, but sadly, like the OP, extremely keen on annual reviews and other entirely pointless appointments (I have at least annual reviews at the hospital clinic).
They genuinely do care and they have reasonable basic knowledge, but their system is very inflexible - if it happens to flag up that they don't have a recent hba1c (very recent - and the hospital, like all hospitals are terrible at sending them in a timely way) or their annoying computer flags that you have high blood pressure (when you don't - you just have one bonkers reading that they took once that was clearly wrong), they won't renew prescriptions until you come and see them.

That is EXACTLY how I feel and what I've experienced.......Its made me want to pull my hair out with sheer frustration. In the past, I've moved mountains at work, and driven miles, to get to another pointless GP appointment.......to be kept waiting for nearly an hour in the surgery, made late and then told to keep 'stress' levels down! :banghead: :mad: :***:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not as yet but I've only just recently started pumping insulin, but if they did remove them they'd be hell to play........

Hi Noblehead, yep never know when you might need those emergency back up supplies. I only order what I need back up wise when items expire. And like DonnollyDogs, I've used Novorapid from penfills when I have found myself short.

It might be peculiar to my current GP, but prior to removing some of the back up supplies from my script, they would issue 3-4 of an item, when I only requested one, which obviously contradicts the efficiency measures. Perhaps it was just a system glitch.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Who knows, but the pump clinics do strongly emphasise how important it is to have back-up supplies in case of a pump failure, for that reason a gp surgery has no right to restrict or deny access to these supplies.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Who knows, but the pump clinics do strongly emphasise how important it is to have back-up supplies in case of a pump failure, for that reason a gp surgery has no right to restrict or deny access to these supplies.

I think this is through ignorance.... They literally think the pump just carries on working like a mobile.. They just haven't got a clue.

mattzuma

Hi. My complaint was dealt with and I received an eleven page explanation stating that no point I had made had been upheld ! I expected this from the Nhs. Anything to deny liability. However, they also stated that new safeguards have been put in place at the surgery. Hypocritical but a result. Oh and the GP quit the surgery. Hmm...

Reactions: 4 people