Am I Diabetic?

BobHewitt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as having T2D end of April 2016 as my blood glucose was 6.7%. I had been warned that I was pre-diabetic before that but we still celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary in Barbados early March 2016. This was all-inclusive so the alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails were being well sampled! Having been given the 6.7% reading I was put on Metformin 2 x 500mg (after one week at 1 x 500mg). In July my next HbA1C blood test was 5.9% and the Metformin was reduced to 1 x 500mg. I have just had my next HbA1C test and the result is 41 (new system of measurement) which I believe is the same 5.9%.
I have lost 2 stone in weight which I believe is due to a low-carb diet and smaller portions rather than the medication. My surgery have just told me the result is "Normal". I assume I am doing OK but wondered if the medication was necessary and should I seek an appointment at the Surgery. I have also been on the X-Pert 6 week diabetic course.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An Hba1c of 41 is below the pre diabetic range and is one point inside the normal range. Your medication is for you to decide with your doctor's approval.

Reactions: Freema

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'd discuss it at your next appointment. You could suggest discontinuing the metformin and see what your HbA1c is after that (some people see a significant rise in HbA1c after discontinuing metformin). All drugs have side effects, so I think it's better not to be on meds if possible. I stopped metformin when I went to get a new prescription (I needed one because I had switched doctors). The new doctor looked at my labs and said I should stop them and that diet usually makes much more difference in blood glucose levels than metformin.

BobHewitt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you use glucose meter? If so, are your fasting blood sugars also normal range <6.1? As I understand Metformin also helps with morning blood sugars, and a hba1c will not pick that up.
No meter used here. Surgery and X-Pert course tutor told me not to bother getting one.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No meter used here. Surgery and X-Pert course tutor told me not to bother getting one.
Can you afford one? It might be worth doing some self-testing.

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just like to say that my surgery calls an HbA1c result normal if it is under 6.5%.
That's what they say over the phone and that's what is on the print out of results.

BobHewitt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My doctor told me not to get one.... but at the end of the day, what you can't see, you can't fix, leaving you basically blind. With testing before and after meals you can start to understand how your body reacts to carbs and what limits to set for each meal, and when to add exercise to help with insulin resistance. It's also helpful to be able to see the changes over the days and months.
I have only had one finger test given to me at an eye hospital as I had a period of double vision. The result at about 10:00 am was 8.1 and I thought that was higher than expected and was told that I had just had my breakfast so it would be high. I left a little confused and as stated before the X-Pert course asked who had a meter and those that had one were clearly told that they had wasted their money. I guess it's all about personal choice.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only had one finger test given to me at an eye hospital as I had a period of double vision. The result at about 10:00 am was 8.1 and I thought that was higher than expected and was told that I had just had my breakfast so it would be high. I left a little confused and as stated before the X-Pert course asked who had a meter and those that had one were clearly told that they had wasted their money. I guess it's all about personal choice.

Hi,

Meters... "Personal choice"... I see it like driving a car without a speedo? How can one avoid those costly speeding fines & endorsements without one.. ;)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is insane that type 2 diabetics are told not themselves to have an idea of where their blood glucose numbers are... totally insane when everyone know how many gets amputations go blind have neuropathy and Diabetic Gustatory Sweating and many other sideeffects of the illness and medications , it is insane when it comes to the load of suffering in the years people are alive in the end of their lives with type 2 diabetes, and also when seen how much earlier those people without control die compared to non diabetics in general