Am I permanent diabetic now?

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to believe that I am not diabetic. But fasting sugar of 103 is high. I have never had it above 90 before. I also feel thirsty and dry mouth after having carb loaded meal. Also fasting of 103 and a1c of 5.1 doesn't add up.
Can you suggest apart from low carb meal what more I can do?
I am thinking to take belowsteps and will follow more strictly now-
1. I used to exercise 1 hour a day. I will increase now to 2 hours.
2. Fast out complete one day a week.
3. Have two meals a day(16:8 intermittent fasting).

I am just paranoid of diabetes. I have seen complications of it in family and really scared of it.

You should calm down, really.

Nothing you have written in this post indicates pre-diabetes or risk of developing diabetes.

Blood sugar of 126 mg/dl (7 mmol) 2 hours after eating are perfectly normal. If you were pre-diabetic it would be 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol) or more at the 2 hours mark. 126 mg/dl are not high at all, but actually pretty good and healthy.

When you start getting blood sugar over 200 mg/dl (11.2 mmol) we can start speaking of high.

Also 103 mg/dl (5.8 mmol) fasting are normal and does add up pretty well with your HbA1c, as both test are within normal and not even pre-diabetic range. Fasting over 108 mg/dl (6.0 mmol) are pre-diabetic, while fasting over 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol) indicates diabetes. So 103 mg/dl are really not bad.

Also I would say feeling thirsty or dry mouthed after eating carbs are not enough to convince me you’re diabetic. It could simply be your tastebuds overreacting because you aren’t used to the sweet taste because of low-carb or keto diet.

If you really were diabetic you would easily drink loads of water, constantly thirsty. Urinating often, and when I say often I mean several times in an hour, getting decent amounts each time. Feeling thirsty alone aren’t all to it.

You have all reason to believe that you’re not diabetic. You’re not close to being diabetic by far :)

Stop to think about what you should or not should do, and instead live and eat normally. Anxiousness can elevate blood sugar slightly, explaining your fasting blood sugar being close to 108 mg/dl. But it is still normal, and you should not worry :)

Reactions: Prem51

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My advice is don't over do the exercise, this is the icing not the cake; the split is around 85% diet 15% exercise.

I have been promoting (raving) about compound weights as my N of 1 has produced excellent results with minutes of exercise. So seen as you already exercise, you might want to try barbell deadlifts and barbell squats. When I do these 3 x 5 sets as a minimum, sometimes 5 x 5 I get good results in the blood sugar department every time, both fasting the next day and post prandial. It's got to be the amount of muscles recruited on each rep.
thanks for the advice, I do weights 4 days a week and two days cardio. I will include deadlifts in routine.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should calm down, really.

Nothing you have written in this post indicates pre-diabetes or risk of developing diabetes.

Blood sugar of 126 mg/dl (7 mmol) 2 hours after eating are perfectly normal. If you were pre-diabetic it would be 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol) or more at the 2 hours mark. 126 mg/dl are not high at all, but actually pretty good and healthy.

When you start getting blood sugar over 200 mg/dl (11.2 mmol) we can start speaking of high.

Also 103 mg/dl (5.8 mmol) fasting are normal and does add up pretty well with your HbA1c, as both test are within normal and not even pre-diabetic range. Fasting over 108 mg/dl (6.0 mmol) are pre-diabetic, while fasting over 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol) indicates diabetes. So 103 mg/dl are really not bad.

Also I would say feeling thirsty or dry mouthed after eating carbs are not enough to convince me you’re diabetic. It could simply be your tastebuds overreacting because you aren’t used to the sweet taste because of low-carb or keto diet.

If you really were diabetic you would easily drink loads of water, constantly thirsty. Urinating often, and when I say often I mean several times in an hour, getting decent amounts each time. Feeling thirsty alone aren’t all to it.

You have all reason to believe that you’re not diabetic. You’re not close to being diabetic by far :)

Stop to think about what you should or not should do, and instead live and eat normally. Anxiousness can elevate blood sugar slightly, explaining your fasting blood sugar being close to 108 mg/dl. But it is still normal, and you should not worry :)
the problem is, i do feel constantly thirsty after the meal. I am not loading up alot on carbs.
It just started two days back when I had Idli and dosa(made from white rice) , morning fasting sugar was 101.
Next day even I had dal(lentil) and roti(wheat) i felt thirsty,morning fasting sugar 103.
This is what troubles me, fasting sugar rising. My numbers sure are within range but symptoms doesn't feel right. I am stuck between numbers and not feeling alright.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
the problem is, i do feel constantly thirsty after the meal. I am not loading up alot on carbs.
It just started two days back when I had Idli and dosa(made from white rice) , morning fasting sugar was 101.
Next day even I had dal(lentil) and roti(wheat) i felt thirsty,morning fasting sugar 103.
This is what troubles me, fasting sugar rising. My numbers sure are within range but symptoms doesn't feel right. I am stuck between numbers and not feeling alright.

It is normal for fasting values to fall or rise from each day, and 103 are not high.

My fasting blood sugar were usually around 120, before starting on insulin.

And well I have struggled alot from high blood sugar, and thirst is not my only problem, that is just one of them.

You do not have much symptoms, I can feel thirsty as well when eating carbs, even when I manage to keep my blood sugar in range. So just feeling thirsty because of the sweet taste does not sound like much of a symptom to me, to be fair.

When I do get high, I can get so thirsty that I easily can drink 1-2 liters and still be thirsty, thats alot worse then just feeling thirsty. Don’t know if you can drink those amounts if water when thirsty, but if you don’t I wouldn’t be so concerned if I were you :)

There is also alot of more symptoms and discomfort when having high blood sugar besides being thirsty. So if that is the only «symptom» diabetes would be very unlikely.

Also your blood work seem perfectly normal. I think the problem here is your anxiousness, and fear of «what if I am diabetic».

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are all high carb foods - grains and lentils - I'd not be feeling well if I ate them, even though these days my BG levels don't shoot up high like they used to - and I'd tend to put on weight too.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just my opinion but 103 mg/dl or 5.7 is not terrible for fasting, but outside the American standard 70 - 100 mg/dl (3.9 to 5.6 mmol). I would say being vigilant is a good idea.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just my opinion but 103 mg/dl or 5.7 is not terrible for fasting, but outside the American standard 70 - 100 mg/dl (3.9 to 5.6 mmol). I would say being vigilant is a good idea.
It's impaired glucose in my country too.
Maximum is 100. Thats what is worrying me.
I will stay cautious.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are all high carb foods - grains and lentils - I'd not be feeling well if I ate them, even though these days my BG levels don't shoot up high like they used to - and I'd tend to put on weight too.
Yes it is high carbs , but not like white rice or refined flour. So I was expecting less glucose rise.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is normal for fasting values to fall or rise from each day, and 103 are not high.

My fasting blood sugar were usually around 120, before starting on insulin.

And well I have struggled alot from high blood sugar, and thirst is not my only problem, that is just one of them.

You do not have much symptoms, I can feel thirsty as well when eating carbs, even when I manage to keep my blood sugar in range. So just feeling thirsty because of the sweet taste does not sound like much of a symptom to me, to be fair.

When I do get high, I can get so thirsty that I easily can drink 1-2 liters and still be thirsty, thats alot worse then just feeling thirsty. Don’t know if you can drink those amounts if water when thirsty, but if you don’t I wouldn’t be so concerned if I were you :)

There is also alot of more symptoms and discomfort when having high blood sugar besides being thirsty. So if that is the only «symptom» diabetes would be very unlikely.

Also your blood work seem perfectly normal. I think the problem here is your anxiousness, and fear of «what if I am diabetic».
I dont have any other symptoms. I will be cautious and as you say will try to relax a bit.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is high carbs , but not like white rice or refined flour. So I was expecting less glucose rise.
I'm afraid that simply isn't the case - the carbs are the same starches, you really need to eat low carb foods - my limit is 10 percent carb content and rice and flour are over 60 percent, just too high to cope with.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam yes I understand that, I have been on very low carb diet. Just eating greens,lemon ,chicken ,fish,mutton and bone broth for a month.
I have relaxed my carbs since last 4 months. I was doing pretty well on it, then two days back saw the spike. So I will go back again to low carb.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid that simply isn't the case - the carbs are the same starches, you really need to eat low carb foods - my limit is 10 percent carb content and rice and flour are over 60 percent, just too high to cope with.

You should not advice people to live like they were diabetic when they do not have any medical condition. Just because you’re type 2, and have to follow a strickt diet, does not apply that non-diabetics should do the same.

This will just results in more stress and anxiousness for OP. It does not help veryanxious to be scared to think she needs a diet suited for type 2 diabetics to prevent diabetes, when she isn’t even in the danger of developing pre-diabetes.

Veryanxious should be encouraged to live normal, and not stress herself with blood sugar.

@Resurgam yes I understand that, I have been on very low carb diet. Just eating greens,lemon ,chicken ,fish,mutton and bone broth for a month.
I have relaxed my carbs since last 4 months. I was doing pretty well on it, then two days back saw the spike. So I will go back again to low carb.

You do not have spikes, all the values you mention here are normal. It’s normal for blood sugar to rise slightly when eating, that does not mean you’re diabetic. If you had hyperglycemia, that would be a spike of concern.

D

Deleted member 308541

My worry is I am working out and still my blood sugar is on the rise. Should I continue with low carb meal for rest of life.? Will be never be able to come out of diabetic zone.? This is the last thing I wanted and always been cautious about not getting it. I feel disappointed.
Diabetes symptoms, like diamonds, are forever...

Edit: Clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should not advice people to live like they were diabetic when they do not have any medical condition. Just because you’re type 2, and have to follow a strickt diet, does not apply that non-diabetics should do the same.

This will just results in more stress and anxiousness for OP. It does not help veryanxious to be scared to think she needs a diet suited for type 2 diabetics to prevent diabetes, when she isn’t even in the danger of developing pre-diabetes.

Veryanxious should be encouraged to live normal, and not stress herself with blood sugar.
You do not have spikes, all the values you mention here are normal. It’s normal for blood sugar to rise slightly when eating, that does not mean you’re diabetic. If you had hyperglycemia, that would be a spike of concern.
It is probably because I tried to eat low carb for about 45 years before being diagnosed and always felt great, controlled my weight had loads of energy and hardly ever even caught a cold whenever I could get away with it.
When doctors and nurses intervened and ordered me to 'eat a healthy diet' I had prolonged bouts of ill health, almost lost a baby, so I was told afterwards, put of stacks of weight and slept in the afternoons.
My diet is hardly strict - it is really luxurious, I think. Far better than the stodge I was told to eat to lower my cholesterol - and it didn't even do that. I got to 264 lb before I stopped weighing myself, and last week I was demonstrating Cotswold jigs.
From my Hba1c results I have not been in danger of diabetes for about 18 months now.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It is probably because I tried to eat low carb for about 45 years before being diagnosed and always felt great, controlled my weight had loads of energy and hardly ever even caught a cold whenever I could get away with it.
When doctors and nurses intervened and ordered me to 'eat a healthy diet' I had prolonged bouts of ill health, almost lost a baby, so I was told afterwards, put of stacks of weight and slept in the afternoons.
My diet is hardly strict - it is really luxurious, I think. Far better than the stodge I was told to eat to lower my cholesterol - and it didn't even do that. I got to 264 lb before I stopped weighing myself, and last week I was demonstrating Cotswold jigs.
From my Hba1c results I have not been in danger of diabetes for about 18 months now.

Well thats great :) Good to here that you are in charge with diabetes :)

I never gone low carb, and have not really eaten that healthy to admit. But I still felt great and usually didn’t get sick. So guess it can be different from person to person maybe.

I didn’t start to feel ill before my blood sugar started to mess up, but I am at good health again now thanks to medications, so well I kind of live like I did before I got ill.

I agree that diet is very important in type 2, and that there is several health benefits with eating healthy, even if you aren’t diabetic. I just think that strict diet aren’t necessary and might not always be for the better if you don’t have any conditions that require it :)

I thought OP sounded kind of anxious and a bit scared of having diabetes. So I kind of thought that advicing OP to diet or live like she were diabetic just cause more stress or fair of developing diabetes for her. Precautions for diabetes shouldn’t be necessary for OP, since there is nothing that indicates pre-diabetic from what I’ve read in this thread :)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As many people have found - a low carb way of eating is not a strict diet restricting choices to lower carb foods often opens up far more choices than when the plate is loaded with bland stodge.
I am just going to go to the shops and my list - excluding meat and fish options is eggs cheese nuts cream coleslaw yoghurt celery radishes tomatoes mushrooms sweet peppers, mixed green salad courgettes and an aubergine.but before I go I will put the chicken to roast.
Not only do I have a great diet, I don't need medication, which is lucky because I have never felt so ill as when taking the tablets.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Emile_the_rat and @Resurgam for you valuable advice and support. I am really glad I found this forum.
I started low carb diet to loose weight. I was 10 kgs overweight and my a1c in Feb were 6.0 and I had really bad edema in legs, which I am pretty sure was due to excessive carbs I was having. I dropped all access weight quite easily and felt great too on low carb diet.edema was gone and I could work out in intermittent fasting mode without feeling dizzy. But this diet is tough for me. Cannot afford to cook for three or two meals are day. Work hours(10hours a day and 3 hours of traveling) here are simply insane and I find Mostly carbs in office canteen. So I fell off the diet and routine. I kind of came anxious because I have been really cautious of not catching diabetes as it runs in family and got lab report of 103 which is impaired blood glucose here in India.
I am much calm now. Will look into it for a more sustainable diet and not go overboard with cautiousness.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I completely understand why you are anxious @Veryanxious - you had been diagnosed with an HBA1c of 6.0/42. Great that you brought it down to such healthy levels by lower carbing and exercise! And you are keeping an eye on your HBA1c to make sure it stays healthy. Well done indeed.

Anxiety, or not being calm, is a way we humans get cracking especially when something crucial to our survival is at stake. Not getting type two diabetes is a very good thing, imho, to get cracking for. And a prediabetes diagnosis is a good push to getting healthy. Which is what Veryanxious did.

I understand that "you should calm down really" is and can be very good and standard advice for Anglo-Saxons, or northwestern Europeans generally perhaps, @Emile_the_rat. I too have seen the tea towels and the cups! But there are entire peoples, countries, and cultures that do not hand out the cup or the phrase every time anxiety or emotion is expressed. (I have some great Greek friends, for instance, who do not own the cup.) There are many peoples, countries and cultures where emotion, including anxiety, can be openly expressed. Many folks even think it is healthier to do so. (I know! Shocking!) (Irony alert there.) And, just as importantly, if you tell folks not to express emotion, you can sometimes get a very emotional response to your response! :). This is an English-language, UK-based website and forum, but not everyone on this forum is English. Such is the nature of the world wide web!

Keep calm and drink tea.png

Reactions: briped