am i type 1 or type 2 ?? ._.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Sorry if I offered you.. but while I was researching diabetes all the site I went of said it was rare, that's the only reason I said it.. I was trying to help, sorry that I didn't..

Hope you find any answer soon x

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Lots of sites are ill-informed, too focused on generality or just plain uneducated drivel...that's one reason that this site is so valuable. Lots of people with a wide range of experiences and circumstances can express their views, post their findings and communicate sound, valid, up to date advice. I am not looking for any kind of answer...I must have been unclear there - I have done a great deal of research and experimented to arrive at an approach (having persuaded my doctors through my own notes on my own levels and how I keep my blood sugar down in the normal range without meds, despite still being on a steroid which increases it). I didn't intend to sound so cheeky in my response, sorry about that. I am sure your post was of help to the person you were answering, and if we all post our opinions and finding that can only be a good thing for everyone here. I just think that when advising someone new to the site, whether we mean well or not, it is important to be sure of what we say or to make sure the poster know that we are just expressing an opinion. That said, I am sure I do it too, eh? It's just one of these issues that always gets me as those who are not diabetic often think I have caused this condition myself..and promoting that idea even accidentally just lets people ignore the risk with steroids. I would stress too that just because someone is overweight doe snot mean that they "caused" their diabetes. I hope you get my point...and please continue to post. I have no doubt at all that you are looking to help people - so am I. Paul;)

Reactions: 4 people

liquid_ears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OP, I'm in quite a similar position to you. I was diagnosed with type 1 at age 19 in early January of this year. I had high blood glucose levels (16.5mmol/L fasting BG). In hospital for a couple of days, I started on Novomix 30 treatment (purely insulin - which is basically one injection pen with a mix of Novorapid and Lantus, although maybe not the exact same brands).

A few weeks later, the blood test I had in hospital came back and I was found to be negative for type 1 antibodies (although the doctor told me there is a slight slight chance that I am a type 1 diabetic, it was very unlikely) This caused my doctor to change my diagnosis to type 2, and I was put onto Lantus and metformin, same as you have been. Although this does not in any way mean that we have the exact same condition because we have similar symptoms. I'm just sharing my story, and hopefully after a little while you'll have your own story to tell too.

I was actually a little underweight before diagnosis, but there was no rapid weight loss that I noticed - I just assumed I had a high metabolism.

A few weeks after the type 2 diagnosis, I went back to see the doctor after having a c peptide test. The test indicated that I had low levels of insulin production. I was having lows in the mornings (the Lantus was working for me), but remaining high BG throughout the day (which is what the metformin was supposed to help me with) so since late January this year I've been back off the Lantus and metformin, and back on the Novomix 30, despite being a type 2 diabetic. I don't think being on the metformin will do you harm if your doctor suggests it. (i.e. it's not going to make your diabetes 'worse'. It's more the fact that if it's ineffective like it was for me, you'll still be having high BG which is what we're trying to avoid.)

If your doctor suggests you use a specific dose of insulin (like mine did for me) maybe you could try something like this: what I did was write down exactly what I ate with the meal that I was injecting the dose with, and then recorded my BG before and then about 2 hours after eating. I took the results to my doctor to help adjust my doses. Even if you are on Lantus and dont inject right before a meal like with the rapid, it can still be helpful for yourself to gauge how your levels are before and after the meal, whatever it may be. You'll get used to it over time with the help of your doctor, just stick with it!

It seems like there are some people who fit into this 'gray area', I've been told by my diabetic educator - being diagnosed with type 2 but being insulin dependent. But hey everyone's journey is different. I wish you all the best with whatever happens next, and I hope you can decide on which doctor to keep seeing. Trust your gut (and maybe not your pancreas ;)).

LE

Reactions: 4 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
I can relate to you's also,after having been diagnosed last year with type 1 diabetes after spending 3 nights in hospital with DKA. After leaving hospital I was put on solarstar 10u morning and night but during the next month or so I gradually came off insulin altogether and still on nothing at all,I had GAD done and all came back negative.

I've Always been active,maybe my diet wasn't the best but never could put weight on,always around the 11 stone mark. I spoke to my diabetic nurse a couple of weeks ago about my situation and said to her maybe I'm type 2 maybe I'm a skinny fat man,mind the phase :) Always though I had a good metabolism could eat anything and not gain weight,maybe I was wrong and maybe I contributed to a possible type 2,she said that I'm LADA supose we'll have to go with that for now ;)