Anxious wife

baboom

Hi
I am a first time forum user and new to this site. My husband is type 1. For years i knew very little about diabetes and thought he managed it well but actually he never checked his sugars and probably was always high. He has had subsquent health problems including a stroke that he didn't even know about. Since we found this out I have been so anxious about his health. He now takes his glucose readings more often than before but he still could do better. He had a hypo today while he was out and is now very depressed about it. he has been drinking lots of fresh juices as part of an immune booster but I think this is making his sugars drop quickly. How can i help him have normal sugar levels without becoming a control freak?

m_brown

Hi Baboom,
It is very important your husband checks his blood sugars often so its great he is trying to improve on this. It only takes a minute to do and will let him know if he needs to take insulin to bring his blood sugar down or have something to eat or drink to bring his blood sugar up. I test my blood sugar reguarly to improve the over all control of my diabetes (I am also type 1) so do your best to encourage him to do this often throughout the day.
You mentioned he had a hypo today, was he aware he was having one at the time or was he only able to tell by checking his blood sugar? Aslong as he is not having hypos all the time and is able to tell he is having a hypo and is able to treat it in time then it is not a big issue! Try and reassure him that just because he had a hypo, doesn't mean he is failing in anyway and it is not something he should be upset about.
In regards to having normal sugar levels, it can be difficult, a healthy diet and lifestyle are important along with testing blood sugars as I mentioned.
Try not to worry! :)

baboom

Hi was out at a meeting with our son and I think he knew he was going low but did not/ could not get any sugar. apparently he fell of a chair. he won't talk to me about it and has gone to bed. His sugars are now 9 after being given sugar and milk for the hypo. he won't eat anything else and has had no dinner. will his sugars continue to drop

m_brown

His sugar being 9 is perfectly ok however if he has not had a meal before going to bed for the night then they may drop again, they may not. It is very difficult to tell. The only way he will be able to know is by testing!
If he does not have hypos often, that may be why he is feeling disappointed about having one today, especially is he did not manage to treat it before feeling unwell and falling over.
I wish I could be of more help!

baboom

It is helpful. Thank you. Its nice to know I can use this forum to talk to people like you. I know I'm not the one with diabetes but with help and support maybe I can help him manage his better and through that reduce my own anxiety. Thanks again