Any thoughts on Dr Denise Faustman's BCG gig?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This thread has gne off topic. The OP has asked about the use of BCG to cure Type 1 diabetes, not the normal vaccination many people had in childhood/teenage years.

Please stay on topic.

Thank you, azure.

Reactions: azure

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tried it, didn't work.

If you meant you tried it and it didn't work, are you an immunobiologist with millions in funding? Can you show me your paper confirming it didn't work?

If you meant Dr Faustman tried it and it didn't work, she's still trying it - that's what phase 2 is doing.

If you meant others hsve tried it and it didn't work, well, plenty of others tried extracting insulin from pancreases and it didn't work, but then Banting tried it and it worked.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This thread has gne off topic. The OP has asked about the use of BCG to cure Type 1 diabetes, not the normal vaccination many people had in childhood/teenage years.
Are they not the same thing?
I know is effective against Leprosy and certain cancers and has been known to delay Burili Ulcers

So I see no reason to suppose that it may not help cure T1 in the future lets hope that it does.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tried it, didn't work.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's happened here, combination of my ineptitude with mobile phones and going to the pub on a Saturday.

You'd posted a long reply about your tests with BCG, I posted in reply, then realised I hadn't clicked the reply button, so deleted my post and then your post disappeared!

Anyway, just wanted to say that after reading your now disappeared post, I take my hat off to you, my friend, for having had a go at all the things you described in your post.

Re your reference to Daniel Darke, we're all familiar with Dawn Phenomenon, are we about to see Dan Phenomenon?

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I removed it because it was overboard / TMI / offtopic stuff.

My reason for thinking BCG is not going to form the basis of a solution for this disease is due to a recent discovery of "nonsense proteins" caused by damaged / stressed beta cells:

https://www.lumc.nl/over-het-lumc/n...ng-van-het-afweersysteem/?setlanguage=English

"The immune system of people with type 1 diabetes turns against beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, the hormone that controls sugar metabolism. The underlying mechanism has always been assumed to involve the immune system inappropriately considering insulin to be hazardous and attacking the cells producing it. LUMC researchers have now discovered that the immune system often responds to an incorrect protein that beta cells sometimes produce instead of insulin. This means that the beta cells are at fault and not the immune system."

Ergo, modulating the immune response is not the cure, it would be more like treating a symptom of the disease instead of the disease itself.

In general, I've gone waaaaay too far in trying various drugs to cure my disease, out of desperation, and have gotten burned by side effects in the past. I just decided, literally today, to focus on repairing my gut and doing FMD and see how that goes. I might even cut out GLP-1 which has some mixed reviews for long-term beta cell function. (short-term gains are indeed undeniable, and I have stopped it in that past resulting in disastrous sugar-graphs).

Until we know the real cause of the disease, and/or how Dan Darkes managed to claw his way out (if indeed he did achieve that), I figure drugs may even be stunting my regeneration gains due to FMD rather than helping.

That said, despite stopping verapamil today, it has been shown to lower A1C by one point which is statistically significant, and a far better result than BCG has shown (so far). I believe I can lower my A1C by tuning my diet + religiously run every other day, fasting, fixing gut microbe populations, etc. If I see more ironclad proof of verapamil, I can easily go back on it, perhaps at a lower dose. I just want to give FMD + fish oil + resveratrol a chance to work on their own.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1

Please stay on topic.

Let's be careful here about declarations of people being vaccinated routinely being off topic. You don't know this is true. In fact, I've seen research showing that countries where routine childhood vaccinations are still performed have lower incidence of type 1 diabetes, and furthermore, that there is a correlation (who knows about causation) between low-grade latent TB infection and type 1 diabetes. (as seen in pancreases harvested from cadavers).

I write this as someone who no longer believes BCG will likely form the basis for a cure, but let's not eliminate facts as off-side when really, there is actual scientific evidence showing that it may indeed be quite pertinent.

Type 1 incidence in western countries is rising, not falling. Is it a coincidence that BCG vaccination isn't commonly given any more? We just don't know for sure yet. TB may be partly to blame.

Last edited: