Type 1.5 Any tips for a low carb Christmas dinner?

Mustaffa

Any tips for a low carb / low GI Christmas dinner?
I've been making mung bean stuffing, boiled mung beans in stock then drained and mixed with sage and onion and wrapped in bacon.
Sweet potato cubes, rolled in rape seed oil and then tossed in gram flour with a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Baked Kalettes in sesame seed oil, Za-attar and low salt soy sauce.
Bread sauce made from gram flour chapatis, onion powder and Bristol pepper mix.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Mustaffa

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any tips for a low carb / low GI Christmas dinner?
I've been making mung bean stuffing, boiled mung beans in stock then drained and mixed with sage and onion and wrapped in bacon.
Sweet potato cubes, rolled in rape seed oil and then tossed in gram flour with a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Baked Kalettes in sesame seed oil, Za-attar and low salt soy sauce.
Bread sauce made from gram flour chapatis, onion powder and Bristol pepper mix.
Sweet potatoes and chapati don’t sound very low carb I’m afraid. But for me I am aiming for a the turkey, pigs in blankets etc. That should keep the carbs low. Lots of meat. Then aiming for lower carb veg like broccoli, cauliflower etc. I think having the meat will be good though

I will try and space out the other stuff over the period to reduce the carbs but it’s going to be tough. Most of what I like about Xmas is stuff I need to cut out a lot but will just do my best and reduce portion size. We shall see!

Mustaffa

Sweet potatoes and chapati don’t sound very low carb I’m afraid. But for me I am aiming for a the turkey, pigs in blankets etc. That should keep the carbs low. Lots of meat. Then aiming for lower carb veg like broccoli, cauliflower etc. I think having the meat will be good though

I will try and space out the other stuff over the period to reduce the carbs but it’s going to be tough. Most of what I like about Xmas is stuff I need to cut out a lot but will just do my best and reduce portion size. We shall see!

I find the carbs in gram flour (ground chick peas) and sweet potato are released more slowly for me so I don't get a sharp spike, but I'm Type 1.5 LADA in the 'honeymoon' period so still probably producing some of my own insulin. Getting by with just 37IU basal Lantus a day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I'm concentrating on the meat and veg. Mice pies are a nightmare and so are many other Christmas specials. BTW why low-salt Soy Sauce?

D

Deleted member 475901

I've been developing a fruit cake recipe - still experimenting at the moment - as it's one of the things I really miss. I found recipes for 'candied' cranberries and rhubarb and although I don't usually like cranberries the version that is soaked and briefly cooked in erythritol then dried is fine as a sub for raisins.
The base is butter, a mix of coconut flour and ground almonds and eggs, then extra spices (mixed spice, cinnamon, a little ginger) as otherwise they seem to disappear in low carb cakes. And I do use a little treacle (just one spoon in the entire cake) to add a deeper flavour.
I'm going to use home made marzipan with a little egg white and ground almonds plus almond essence and stevia sweetener.

That's the treat, along with stevia sweetened chocolate.
The main meal will be turkey with loads of green veg and cauliflower mash bit this year I'm going to try cooking then roasting some Kohlrabi to replace roast potatoes.
And stuffing made with ground almonds, onion and sage and a tiny bit of egg white to help it bind.

I'll have one spare egg yolk after all that - to make custard.
Then turkey sandwiches using 90 second bread.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I'm concentrating on the meat and veg. Mice pies are a nightmare and so are many other Christmas specials. BTW why low-salt Soy Sauce?

Mice pies?, that's a new one!!! Thanks for the chuckle Daibell. xx

Mustaffa

I have been battling resistant hypertension and my partner has familial high cholesterol so we have not had salt or sugar in the house for years. Everything is cooked from scratch with plenty of herbs and spices for flavour. My blood pressure since I started on insulin has been normal and I have been able reduced one of my medications.