Type 2 Are you pre-diabetic and on metformin?

Tanbsymum

I was diagnosed T2 in April 2015,with Hba1c of 59. I lost 2 stone, increased my exercise considerably and went on LCHF diet and now keep my BS under 6 before meals and under 7 after 2 hrs. I have developed retinopathy despite good bloods and my GP wants to put me on Metformin. He says I am just unlucky for this to happen when my blood is under reasonable control. Does anyone else who is pre-diabetic take Metformin because of complications? Breakfast 2 eggs scrambled with butter, lunch mixed salad, prawns or chicken and olive oil, dinner grilled fish or chicken, 4 veg, full fat yoghurt and 6 raspberries. Is there anything else I can do?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 in April 2015,with Hba1c of 59.

Need more information. You imply you are pre-diabetic but 59 at diagnosis is firmly in the "diabetes" range (unless you actually mean "5.9 percent"). What is your A1C now?

Edited to add: Sorry to hear about the retinopathy. Hope some people here on the forum can help you understand what is going on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With a range of between 6 and 7 you are currently reasonably controlled, but before you took control your levels were high, and that could have been when the retinopathy was born, but possibly undetected at that time. There is also the possibility that when you test you miss your peaks, although your diet looks spot on perfect to me.

I'm not at all sure why your doctor thinks Metformin will help - did he explain? It won't help much with your blood sugar levels. It only helps to a limited extent by reducing the amount of glucose your liver produces, with insulin resistance, and is an appetite suppressant so helps the overweight more than others.

Reactions: dbr10

Tanbsymum

My A1c is 46. My GP says that in the US they are tending to treat pre-diabetics as well. Our GP practice policy is to treat those with pre-diabetes who are at risk. The other patient being treated - his sister has just had a stroke. We are the only 2 in the practice. Looking on line it seems I have a some of other factors: short sighted, do not sleep well, my BP is above 115 (125/75) and I have an under active thyroid. He thinks it may help to reduce the spikes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My A1c is 46. My GP says that in the US they are tending to treat pre-diabetics as well. Our GP practice policy is to treat those with pre-diabetes who are at risk. The other patient being treated - his sister has just had a stroke. We are the only 2 in the practice. Looking on line it seems I have a some of other factors: short sighted, do not sleep well, my BP is above 115 (125/75) and I have an under active thyroid. He thinks it may help to reduce the spikes.

My surgery has an "at risk" register. I'm not sure if this is a national thing in England or just my surgery.

Your GP needs to research how Metformin works. It most certainly will not reduce spikes. If you are overweight it may help in other ways. Diet is the key, and with an HbA1c of 46 you have every chance of reducing this to non-diabetic levels of under 42 with a tweak to your diet and a little extra exercise. However, Metformin is a safe drug so no harm in taking it, but please don't think of it as a miracle cure. It isn't. Even with Metformin you will still need to pay attention to your diet.

Your BP looks perfectly normal to me!