asymptomatic diabetes?

gogok

is it possible for someone who is 181cm/54kg to develop any form of diabetes or insulin resistence while eating just very low cal vegetarian diet? can diabetes be asymptomatic for some ppl? cheers

S

serenity648

Yes. Not every diabetic is overweight on diagnosis. And the carbohydrate content of someones diet can be important.

Reactions: Freema
S

serenity648

I dont understand what you mean by 500cal carbs. Sorry. How many grams of carb do you have a day?

But to answer your original question, our bodies are complex and some people can become diabetic in a variety of ways, not only their weight. Some overweight people do not become diabetic, some slim people do become diabetics. Have you had and blood tests?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are many different types of diabetes. What you are eating and how much you weigh is not the whole story. Age, Genes, family history, environmental factors, medication, illness and ethnic heritage are all factors to be considered.

Also many people are diagnosed without symptoms through routine screenings. Doctors are now encouraged to tell people about the early signs of diabetes and what they can change to stop it progressing. These people in the early stages are diagnosed with prediabetes.

S

serenity648

so why are you worrying about diabetes? are you feeling unwell?

can you give us an idea of your daily eating?

gogok

There are many different types of diabetes. What you are eating and how much you weigh is not the whole story. Age, Genes, family history, environmental factors, medication, illness and ethnic heritage are all factors to be considered.

Also many people are diagnosed without symptoms through routine screenings. Doctors are now encouraged to tell people about the early signs of diabetes and what they can change to stop it progressing. These people in the early stages are diagnosed with prediabetes.
thanks. it's just everyone has the impression that only overweight ppl get diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
like bananas and apples that won't go up 500-600 cals a day. sorry i don't count the carbs in grams

no, not yet, i'm kinda in the middle of nowhere atm.
Carb calories have changed into glucose well before energy can be used from them. Calories are energy!
Carbs cause damage to type2s at consumption. Gut health has been interferred with as early as that stage in metabolising it.
We think grams are easier to count to monitor its affliction.

gogok

so why are you worrying about diabetes? are you feeling unwell?

can you give us an idea of your daily eating?
i eat around 500-600 cal fruits, usually apples and banans and vegs like cucumbers or carrots or tomatos. i think i can't gain weight. i have to stay under a certain bmi for my job but recently i tried to gain weight and failed (i ate like 2000cals a day for a weak) so it got me paranoid. i get blurry eyes if i read something for a certain time too.

Reactions: Firuza

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are worried about diabetes please seek routine tests from a medical professional.

Are you taking suplements along with your restrictive diet for missing nutrients?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

i eat around 500-600 cal fruits, usually apples and banans and vegs like cucumbers or carrots or tomatos. i think i can't gain weight. i have to stay under a certain bmi for my job but recently i tried to gain weight and failed (i ate like 2000cals a day for a weak) so it got me paranoid. i get blurry eyes if i read something for a certain time too.
You have a bmi of 16.5? What kind of job do you do?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It sounds like you're simply not eating enough calories. That's far more likely to cause damage to,your body. You need to eat properly for longer than a week to,gain weight.

I don't understand why you'd think you have diabetes. Your low weight would be because you're not eating properly. Your blurry vision could also be because of this. You need a balanced diet.

If you have concerns about your health or weight, you should speak to a doctor. If you find it difficult to deal with weight issues and choosing appropriate foods, then there are organisations that can help you with that too. Eating such a restricted diet isn't a good idea for anyone.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will damage your health on a diet like that. You need proper food. Meat, fish, butter, olive oil, vegetables and other things in quantities that can support your body.

If you choose a job that requires you to starve yourself and then worry about health?

It's possible you have diabetes. Get your blood glucose, iron, vitamins and other vital things checked asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks. it's just everyone has the impression that only overweight ppl get diabetes.

No, that's not correct. But it doesn't mean that everyone, no matter what their weight, is therefore destined to get diabetes.

You've listed no symptoms of diabetes at all, so I can't see why you think you might have it. You presumably have no symptoms as you're asking about asymptomatic diabetes, but you also presumably have no symptoms of many other health conditions....

That doesn't mean you have any of those either.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can actually die from eating so single minded . A person Who's normal weight would be like 50 kg would if totally lean like you need 50 grams of best quallity proteins and you just cant get all the 9 kinds of essential proteins from fruit alone , essential proteins are the ones that the body can not make by itself . You can also get diabetes from eating totally malnutrienting like eating foods that do not really feed your body . People that wants to be slim very often do avoid fats totally if They know nothing of nutrition and the bodies varied needs the hormonal system can go out of whack if one never eat the different kind of fats also the saturated fats which one can get from coconut oil if one will not eat meat and animal fats One of the other foods that contain all the needed proteins are eggs so as 1 egg is around 7 grams of protein a 50 grams protein person would need 7 egg to have her needs fullfilled .

People on hunger strike seems to die when They have used They fats on their body so not eating any fats at all is a slow Road to suicide
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/29/health/steve-jobs-all-fruit-diet/

Last edited: