Autism and monitoring Type 1.5

n-Tempest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all. First post and not too sure what I expect to come of it... I guess I just want to scream about this and hope someone can learn something from it haha

The doctors diagnosed me with type 1 a while back, but because I'm 25, they are surprised it did not manifest sooner. But since I already have a type of auto-immune condition, they're simply saying that's the likely cause.

I'm autistic. With a 130+ IQ, apparently, it's hard to tell for the most part until you realise I need people to remind me how old I am. (25. It's on a sticky-note)
This makes it pretty difficult when it comes to diabetes monitoring.
I can't really tell when i'm hungry, thirsty or in pain as accurately as others and this has led to a fair few unpleasant moments.
I live with arthritis and chronic regional pain syndrome, which means that day-to-day, i can be in constant agony, or background soreness. Both change how my insulin works.
Top that off with an uncertainty of time durations, remembering to test, inject and even remembering how to calculate the appropriate dosages, it's a bit of a nightmare.

I've never thought about my own mortality until i lost four stone in four weeks and got this diagnosis... now, I know without any doubt that it's only a matter of time before I make one stupid mistake and... well, you know...
I've had lots of fun with stress (again, something I can't detect or explain until i realise my insulin isn't working) and am so far making an excellent habit of making loads of notes... only to lose them after a day or so.

Advice to other autistics struggling with this:
Make notes on something you won't lose (phone for example)
set alarms for anything you need to do on-time
make reminders of times and dates you need to do things
make sure friends and family are aware of your limitations and what they need to be cautious of
know your limits
try to get into a routine.

Hope this helps :)

any questions, feel free to ask

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
n-Tempest, your make-up in your avatar is both frightening and amazing. Who's the talented artist? Welcome to the forum. :)

n-Tempest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
n-Tempest, your make-up in your avatar is both frightening and amazing. Who's the talented artist? Welcome to the forum. :)
sadly, no makeup... it's a photomanipulation of myself and a picture of a plastic skull haha. But as for the artist, I suppose that would be me

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

n-Tempest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
for now, it's just for fun... I do a little ilustration for my books from time to time, but I have a Deviant Art profile if I ever want to show my things off... can't say I've logged into it this year though haha

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
[QUOTE="n-Tempest, post: 853563, member: 183096"...

I'm autistic. With a 130+ IQ, apparently, it's hard to tell for the most part until you realise I need people to remind me how old I am. (25. It's on a sticky-note)
This makes it pretty difficult when it comes to diabetes monitoring.
I can't really tell when i'm hungry, thirsty or in pain as accurately as others and this has led to a fair few unpleasant moments.
I live with arthritis and chronic regional pain syndrome, which means that day-to-day, i can be in constant agony, or background soreness. Both change how my insulin works.
Top that off with an uncertainty of time durations, remembering to test, inject and even remembering how to calculate the appropriate dosages, it's a bit of a nightmare.

...[/QUOTE]

Friend, I know what you mean- aspie myself, and diagnosed type II a few years back now. Pain is, apparently, different for me (like I was supposed to know how THEY feel it?)- I don't know about you, obviously, but for me it is just dicomfort up to a point- then is true pain, agony even. Which made for problems early this year when a (huge) kidney stone blocked off a kidney completely- they reckon it had been building years and had I recognised the pain it would have been far easier dealt with. Instead, needed a full operation. Nasty.

Memory troubles too, so phone alarms and a fantastic wife are more useful than I can tell you.

As for changes in routine- such as altered drugs, laser appointments for my retinopathy, work problems- well, let's just say I have difficulties.

Hi ho.

Thank the gods for the NHS!

n-Tempest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not like theres a test for pain threshold is there?
Had kidney failure a while back and the doctor was saying 'how bad is this pain' and apparently what i was considering an inconvenience was most people's agony...

Ive been reminded of appointments by txt a few times when i had no idea.
Thank (insert deity('s) of your choice here) for the NHS all right...
But for anyone in redditch, you will know of the 'alex' hospital... Lets just say being given a syringe of insulin a few hours after admission with the words "you're diabetic you know what to do"... Not what i wanted to hear after being diagnosed a few hours ago :-(

People keep telling me " lots of people have diabetes and live a fine life". None of them seem to forget to inject, or what to inject, what they ate, cant tell if the shaking is a hypo, cold or hunger, forget to eat, forget to bring their insulin... Yeah... I can tell ill just rant forever if i keep on that :p

Us autistics are certainly wired differently... It makes things that bit harder i guess...

Sorry to hear about your kidney stone dude... But im glad you have someone there to help out.
If im honest, im a bit scared ill have a hypo in my sleep and not wake up. Nobody would know until friday when a friend of mine drops by.

Reactions: 4 people