Avocado everyday?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
who eats avocado every day? And how much?

I eat about 1/3 at every meal. It's the only way I can keep protein and bs low and slow.
I get medium, about 5 or 6 oz meat. I now pay $8 for 6. Used to be $5 but the price does go up and down.

By the way, how do you convert U.K. money to US?

Avocado is almost as important to me as my insulin lol. Without it everything spikes me faster and higher. With it I rarely go up more than 10 points (us) .5 U.K.?

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like avocado. Now you will hate me! Lol.

You are nearly there with your 10 points. It is 0.6mmol/l

No idea how to convert US money to UK sterling. It changes with the wind!
But I think we all understand approximately what dollars are.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I can take 'em or leave 'em .. I know that they are good but, if I'm honest, I'd really rather leave 'em. Actually, I prefer olives ..

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love them and have one most days usually in salad or with prawns and mayonnaise yummy !!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love avacados...

World money stuff? (On the other hand.) I tend to leave that to the "experts." ;)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I looovvvveeee avocado, but my IBS doesn't........ boo hoo..........:(

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to have one a day, mainly with my evening meal in a salad with a load of OO dressing and if I am organized and having lunch one at lunchtime, with olives, feta, sauerkraut and hummus.
Two cost about £1:50 or $2:00.
Have to buy and eat pretty quickly as they go off...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You avocado haters are killing me!!!!
Thanks for the conversion!! I didn't know if a dollar was more or less. So changes like a peso?? Ours stays the same.

Hankjam, I can keep a dozen in the fridge and they never go off. As soon as they have some give put them in the refrigerator. This stops the ripening. After you bust one open put some waxed paper or plastic wrap over the flesh to seal out all air. Take the pit out and make sure that's sealed too. Then press flesh down on a flat plate. It will keep for a day. You can also put some lemon or lime juice on the flesh to help stop browning and do the air tight thing.
If you smash yours you can put it in a glass container and put the Saran on top.
I have taken it out of the skin and just wrapped it up in plastic wrap.
As long as you put them in the fridge right after some give they last over a week.
I usually have 10-12 at all times incubating at different rates.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 1 every day at breakfast with salt and pepper
CAROL

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looooooove avocado. Have you ever tried slicing one in half, removing the pit, sprinkling a bit of lime juice and garlic on it, and laying it face down on a barbecue for about 5 minutes? Then you put salsa in the hole and eat. So delicious.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use one every day - just sliced or chopped in salads,creamed for sauces for veggie noodles - just had half a one mashed on a burger topped with cheese. Great as a face mask too! I use any over ripe ones for this. Also a great ingredient in baking with chocolate etc.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get 'fancy' Now I just love it with sea salt.
Sometimes I smash it, sometimes chunk or slice. Sometimes I add fresh basil or cilantro chives or onion bits.
I add protein and veggies and mix it all together for lunch and dinner. Bf is usually just avocado and celery chunks.
So easy, so fresh and so many ways

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they are disgusting. Although I'm eating them in low carb smoothies at the moment for the high calorie count as I need to gain weight.

Half avocado, handfull of nuts, 100ml double cream, few spoons of Greek yogurt, big dollop of peanut butter And a few berries to mask the taste of the avocado. I reckon maybe 800 calories?

Not helping my fasting numbers and that concerns me but I've gained 2lb in 3 days drinking 2 a day with one evening meal.

Billy_Pilgrim

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BG spikes, Nazis, papercuts.
Is avocado supposed to taste of something? Maybe it's like a Magic Eye thing and it'll come to me eventually. I never used to eat them, but saw Kristin eulogising about them someplace and now I plough through several a week, usually smashed onto half a high protein roll with salt and lemon.

I can confirm that it seems to slow the absorption of carbs very effectively.

Reactions: Chook

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tescos sell packs of frozen avocado halves with no skin or stone. They are very cheap and convenient but unfortunately horrible with very little taste and without the creamy texture of a ripe fresh one, don't waste your money like I did.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they are disgusting. Although I'm eating them in low carb smoothies at the moment for the high calorie count as I need to gain weight.

Half avocado, handfull of nuts, 100ml double cream, few spoons of Greek yogurt, big dollop of peanut butter And a few berries to mask the taste of the avocado. I reckon maybe 800 calories?

Not helping my fasting numbers and that concerns me but I've gained 2lb in 3 days drinking 2 a day with one evening meal.
Are you drinking that huge power house at night? That many calories in any meal would never help my bs at any time of day!!! It would take days to process all that fat ! Congrats on weight gain though. Was it just avocado you added or all that other fat?

Is avocado supposed to taste of something? Maybe it's like a Magic Eye thing and it'll come to me eventually. I never used to eat them, but saw Kristin eulogising about them someplace and now I plough through several a week, usually smashed onto half a high protein roll with salt and lemon.

I can confirm that it seems to slow the absorption of carbs very effectively.
Lol. Yay! I am the avocado queen!!
You can add jalapeños or red pepper flakes to flavor them up. Fresh basil or other herbs work well. They don't taste like a lot by themselves but the healthiest fat I know of as well as so magical on bs. If you like smoked salmon smash some in there. Top chunks on salads. Add bacon bits, tomato and onion. Some people like to bake eggs in the whole and top with bacon. I like mine cold though admittedly haven't tried it. I have added it to omelets and again, prefer them cold. The list goes on.

It's so weird how I literally need them with meals to keep incredibly stable bs.

Happy you found they help bs too and I'm sure you e read me praising them all over the place!!! Best breakfast ever!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tescos sell packs of frozen avocado halves with no skin or stone. They are very cheap and convenient but unfortunately horrible with very little taste and without the creamy texture of a ripe fresh one, don't waste your money like I did.
I've tried freezing them smashed with a little lemon juice to stop the browning. It works but the texture is not the same and I actually prefer them without lemon//lime juice. Salt, pepper and herbs. Freezing them in slices is horrid when defrosted. I suppose they would work well for smoothies if you throw them in whole.

Recently became addicted to it smashed with smoked salmon!! And just a few onion it'd bits.

Never tried smoothies as I'm afraid smoothies would digest so fast and negate the fiber for slow absorption slowing bs. What do you think?

Reactions: hankjam