b12

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has there been a deficiency diagnosed by GP? I have had B12 injections many years ago, it took a few weeks before I felt better.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. Not really a good idea just to stop them without asking your doctor first

desidiabulum

imhaving b12 injections
they do not seem to be doing me any good
what happens if i stop it
My B12 injections don't make me feel better, but the continued nerve damage if I didn't have them would have made me feel a whole lot worse in the longer term (and after a year of injections I did get at least some feeling back - again, it's a gradual process). Are the injections actually causing problems? (apart from the obvious discomfort if the nurse isn't a good shot!)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Untreated B12 Deficiency can lead to anaemia, cognitive difficulties and peripheral nerve damage among other things.

henryfran1938

it does not seem to be causing any probs
nurse is good with injections
im thiking of asking doc for b12 tablets
would save me going to health centre
especiallly in bad weather

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took the melt in the mouth methylcobalamin not the more common cyanocobalamin as the former is much better absorbed therefore much more useful. It’s also a bit more expensive but there is no'point taking the cheap stuff so a false economy imo. Two months of daily tabs took me from around 158 to 800. I got it in Holland and Barrett initially and then online from the states as it’s much cheaper that way.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
From my reading, not as professional advice or opinion:
I think @Scimama 's question about how was the B12 deficiency diagnosed and what is the cause of it is, need to be answered first before the discussion can continue in a logical and most helpful way.
Knowing what dose is given, how often and when injections started would also help.
Unfortunately it is not beyond the practice of a few in the medical profession to prescribe B12 injections as a 'pick-me-up' without the evidence to back its use.
And sometimes a low B12 result requires more than just B 12 injections to sort things out. Also under the tongue tablets and tablets to swallow may work for some causes of low B12 but not for others.

Reactions: jackiebee

henryfran1938

ta for all the info
as i said b12 causing no prob
i should have my b12 injection 2 weeks ago
had throat infection
at te moment i feel weak and sweaty
i will go and get my injection tomorrow
and see if it will help my tiredness
ta agaain

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @henryfran1938, If you could let us know how long you have been having B12 shots, amount per shot ( ? full vial/(glass ampoule or half)? and how often plus what the cause of the low B12 is, that may help us help you better.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There may be a particular reason for having B12 injections. Some people cannot absorb B12 in food or tablet form.
You need to sort out with your doctor why you are on B12 injections first.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree the op could do with understanding/explaining why he’s having the injections (it may be prevention of problems rather than treating any he’s currently aware of) and clarify what the issue he’s having with them is. Stopping them without a suitable plan probably isn’t a great idea.

There may be a particular reason for having B12 injections. Some people cannot absorb B12 in food or tablet form.
Would that apply to the ones absorbed via the oral mucosa too thus bypassing the digestive system entirely?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks @HSSS, re: sublingual absorption, I have heard that sometimes it suffices, sometimes not - this was with checking with a blood test after several weeks on sublingual.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @HSSS, re: sublingual absorption, I have heard that sometimes it suffices, sometimes not - this was with checking with a blood test after several weeks on sublingual.
On my personal experience of those mentioned above it was highly effective. As you said. I guess it depends on the cause of the lack. Mine has not been established unfortunately.

Reactions: kitedoc

PolarBear81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
imhaving b12 injections
they do not seem to be doing me any good
what happens if i stop it
Is your folate level good? No point having b12 if you have inadequate folate. The b12 needs the folate to form a more useful b12 (a methylated form). This is the form that the body can actually utilise. Otherwise it's floating around your body not doing very much. This is why methylcobalamin tablets are the better form of b12 as it's already formed the useful b12 and can be used immediately. I had borderline b12 deficiency and took a 1000mg tablet twice a day before meals and at 10 days I had a vastly noticeable difference in my energy levels, though depending on how low your levels were to start with it may take longer.