Basal Test

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I've heard lots of people mention doing a 'basal test' but I'm not entirely sure what that is or what it entails. Could someone please explain for me?

Thanks in advance :)

Melissa x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @MelissaC Simply put it's where you fast then test your blood glucose results to see if you basal insulin is holding your levels steady, you need to ensure you start without any quick acting insulin or food on board for about 5 hours before you start and your BG levels need to be in target so between 4.5 and 7 .5 mmol/l, so not taking quick acting insulin or eating during a given period. So for instance you can basal test during the night by simply setting your alarm every 3 hours to check your BG results. If you find your BG levels rising or falling then you know you need to make an adjustment to your basal insulin. It's good practice to review your basal levels every so often.

Here's a good link to understand this a bit more: http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Juicyj

Thank you for the useful information. I will give it a go and see what happens. I don't actually test during the night, only before I go to bed (unless I wake up due to a hypo of course).

If you tested during the night and your sugars were high, would you give a bolus correction dose or would you leave it be and just increase your basal dose for future nights? Sorry if that sounds daft.

Melissa x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you tested during the night and your sugars were high, would you give a bolus correction dose or would you leave it be and just increase your basal dose for future nights? Sorry if that sounds daft.

The usual advice is only to make adjustments after a couple of nights testing, a high bg reading on the first night could just be a one-off, if after 2 or 3 nights the same happens then it's likely your basal insulin needs upped, if in doubt run your bg readings by your DSN who will advise further.

Reactions: MelissaC

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The usual advice is only to make adjustments after a couple of nights testing, a high bg reading on the first night could just be a one-off, if after 2 or 3 nights the same happens then it's likely your basal insulin needs upped, if in doubt run your bg readings by your DSN who will advise further.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind.