BBC new series "Hairy Dieters..."

Cowboyjim

BBC new series "Hairy Dieters Simon King and Dave Myers embark on a weight-loss campaign" was on last night and I am surprised no one on this forum has remarked about it. Maybe they have and I missed it.

Ok it was not about DM in fact it afaik got mentioned zero times despite these herberts admitting to being on meds for high BP - they look to me poor lads as if they is on a course for the dreaded DM. Luckily, (for them and their folks) they are finally embarking on a course of action to reduce their evident bulk and improve their health. Oh, and run all the way to the bank as book sales rocket no doubt. Ooh I am a cynic.

Now, I only half paid attention to this latest effort so I shall reserve judgement but imho it showed promise but I expect it to fall well short of achieving much.

What does anyone else think? Personally I find them an amusing pair but their hairiness in the kitchen is disgusting. Too few presenters pay attention to this obvious hygiene imho but that is another story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vq8c6
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...t-bbc2--the-churchills-channel-4-8002005.html

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Cowboyjim said:
What does anyone else think? Personally I find them an amusing pair but their hairiness in the kitchen is disgusting. Too few presenters pay attention to this obvious hygiene imho but that is another story.

OI! What does having a beard have to do with poor hygiene? Do you think that you evolved to have a smooth face (like a lady)?

Cowboyjim

Beards are fine (if you like that sort of thing and I do not even on men) my point is these two should wear a mask or some such when leaning over food prep. Better still a full face gas mask then we would not have to see their ugly faces...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cowboyjim said:
BBC new series "Hairy Dieters Simon King and Dave Myers embark on a weight-loss campaign" was on last night and I am surprised no one on this forum has remarked about it. Maybe they have and I missed it.

Wakey wakey Jim :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31781

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I watched this last night, even missed Corrie for it. I was hughly amused and not more than alittle touched by Simon's recollections of the humiliation he experienced at school which he thinks led him on to the comfort eating.

However, I didn't want to make judgements as these guys are not diabetic that I know of and what certainly does not work for me, might well work for them. Further to this they had a wakeup call and realised they needed to do something about their weight. All of us on this forum have had a likewise call and this is why we are here. So good luck to them!!

As for the beards, well I see chefs smoking with their whites on, hats that don't cover longish hair. and what not, so I think the hairy Bikers are OK. They are coming from a different position and they are not selling their food which would be what an EHO would be concerned about. Nobody is going to sue them.

All in I enjoyed the program and look forward to their results. What about the young woman who had lost 12st.WOW.
The only pounds I ever lost at weight watchers came flying out my purse.

kate

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Erm they are called the hairy bakers/bikers/dieters etc because they are... Do you expect them to shave it all off for telly. Does that mean my hairy man can't cook me a meal hmmmm.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Remember,the best diabetic chef in the world has a beard,the great Anthony Worral Thompson!*

*I'm being sarcastic

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dawnmc said:
Erm they are called the hairy bakers/bikers/dieters etc because they are... Do you expect them to shave it all off for telly. Does that mean my hairy man can't cook me a meal hmmmm.

Facial hair is a good source of protein, so is slightly beard fermented meat.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Paul1976 said:
Remember,the best diabetic chef in the world has a beard,the great Anthony Worral Thompson!*

Reported for trolling...

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
borofergie said:
Paul1976 said:

Reported for trolling...
Nooooooooo!!! I repent,I repent! :crazy:

Cowboyjim

H&S don't insist on special clothing in places where food is prepared just to be overly fascist all the time.
TV is all about presentation and to hell with the rules so I accept that.
My gripe I spose stems from the epidemic of food programmes and their ilk. This is just another variant on a theme that has already been done to death imho. I never watch them, this was only on because my daughter wanted to watch it and gawd knows why.
TV as regards factual programming has become utterly dire and this is just entertainment dressed up a little.
We used to watch Corrie nearly every episode and no longer, it is a pale shadow of its former comedic glory.
Thanks to US drama shows like Madmen, Sopranos, The Wire, Shield, The Killing, and others like Braquo there is more than enough to amuse me for sufficient hours in the week.
I shall return to the Bikers no doubt and wish them well. If just a few rethink their lifestyle and prolong their lives it will have been worth it. It is the least they can do given how they have led us astray for so long before with their atrociously unhealthy but tasty grub.
Leek lasagne anyone? Hmmmm... why not with spelt pasta and a smaller helping?