leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
20170501_140300.jpg
I used to be ashamed to admit I was diabetic. I tried keeping it under wraps and out of sight. But over time I met other diabetics that changed the way I viewed this condition. It is not a conviction, it is not a crime. If people reject you because you are diabetic, they are less than you are. I wear the wrist band with pride. It has helped through some awkward moments and ensured my continued good health.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
View attachment 22820 I used to be ashamed to admit I was diabetic. I tried keeping it under wraps and out of sight. But over time I met other diabetics that changed the way I viewed this condition. It is not a conviction, it is not a crime. If people reject you because you are diabetic, they are less than you are. I wear the wrist band with pride. It has helped through some awkward moments and ensured my continued good health.
Being diagnosed with diabetes was a real come down for me. I have always been very independent and strictly my own man. Now I am tethered to insulin for life! But I make the best of it. I known that I am not the only one.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Our acceptance must be related to our prior exposure. I remember the nurse coming to comfort me after my first meeting with the endocrinologist. I told her that I wasn't upset about the diagnosis but the endocrinologist was obviously away the day when they did bedside manner. Appalling man! Still there after 20 years as well. Amazing!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The media portrayal of blame, or someone 'deserving' their diabetes, can contribute to the feeling of shame.

Sometimes if other people know you have diabetes they make judgements about what you should it, why you got it, etc. Only thing to do is to own it. Find out as much as you can and deal with the condition in a way that suits you, and your own circumstances.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@leslie10152 I'm still independant but immobility due to (hopefully just) obesity is what's causing my ball and chain.
I hate it!
Like @Pipp said Own it and brush ignorance into the corner.
I admirer people who fight their diabetes. When i say that i just mean keeping on top of high bgs. Regardless of ignorance. Its imperative we stay healthy in good bg range, regardless of circumstance.
We are luckily the nhs want the same. An allie.
Of course our forum angels of diabetic soldiers too. ;)

I need the same to reverse my heart disease now!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never hidden my diabetes from anyone. I told my family and all my close friends straight away, and anyone else who was within earshot. The label has never bothered me.

I did have a short period of denial and disbelief, and used the fact my diagnostic tests were on 4th January so all the over indulgence at Christmas, my birthday, a holiday, and New Year would have caused it, and it would disappear by my next test. It hadn't, of course. (I notice some of our newly diagnosed also use that same excuse sometimes!)

S

serenity648

I hide it. I got so many negative comments about my weight, and about ME not being real, that the comments I got about deserving Type 2 and it being my fault were just too much. Although I dont engage with those people (I dont call them friends anymore) it hurts. I dont have the energy to keep defending myself. Just as well I am at home most of the time.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I hide it. I got so many negative comments about my weight, and about ME not being real, that the comments I got about deserving Type 2 and it being my fault were just too much. Although I dont engage with those people (I dont call them friends anymore) it hurts. I dont have the energy to keep defending myself. Just as well I am at home most of the time.
I'm with you on this. I have told loved ones, but it is not strangers' business. Neither does my mental health status get broadcast due to past experiences of discrimination and cruelty. Once bitten...not doing the same with diabetes while there are still so many nasty people about. These things do not define me though so not a biggy, just private :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes me too, and some of those comments were from HCPs.

I didn't have a period of denial at all when diagnosed. I knew I had been insulin resistant for years and that was why I couldn't lose weight.

I am proud of how I have fought the problems I have had with weight, ME, depression and other stuff too. Those who judge me are the ones who should be ashamed.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You need like minded friends. We are here for you. ♡♥♡
Maybe a meet up with diabetic friends, regularly will help?
Can you make this happen?

S

serenity648

You need like minded friends. We are here for you. ♡♥♡
Maybe a meet up with diabetic friends, regularly will help?
Can you make this happen?
coming on here helps tremendously. Not only do I learn a lot, but the support, even when disagreements occurr, is great.

Reactions: zand

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only told close friends and family, plus a couple of key people at work. I just don't feel ready to come out to the world yet. I keep thinking that I'll leave it until it's obvious that I've lost lots of weight (being hopeful here - I've lost 6 kg already but have a long way to go) - and then I can explain. That's probably down to stupid levels of pride and vanity. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes me too, and some of those comments were from HCPs.

I didn't have a period of denial at all when diagnosed. I knew I had been insulin resistant for years and that was why I couldn't lose weight.

I am proud of how I have fought the problems I have had with weight, ME, depression and other stuff too. Those who judge me are the ones who should be ashamed.
I felt relief to know why I was always fat when I ran, gym'd, swam and participated more than most. It was weird.
In fact only this forum has taught me that it's ok to be diabetic. Only diabetic in family and only adventurous one too. I did feel odd one out. Well until older sister started adding weight after her pregnancy. She taught me that women do sometimes get fat after been very skinny. She goes skinny off and on now but no diabetes, thank god. I did same diets, same exercise and same evening eating restrictions. I had to starve on less than 600cals to just be obese rather than morbidly obese. With heavy 90mins exercise everyday.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I've only told close friends and family, plus a couple of key people at work. I just don't feel ready to come out to the world yet. I keep thinking that I'll leave it until it's obvious that I've lost lots of weight (being hopeful here - I've lost 6 kg already but have a long way to go) - and then I can explain. That's probably down to stupid levels of pride and vanity. :(
Aww it's not vanity. We don't need to share everything. You do what's best for you :)

Reactions: Polgara

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
coming on here helps tremendously. Not only do I learn a lot, but the support, even when disagreements occurr, is great.
It has taught me so much and always given support too. A great forum!
Nothing out there like it.
Because we are not there, we're here! ;)

S

serenity648

I felt relief to know why I was always fat when I ran, gym'd, swam and participated more than most. It was weird.
In fact only this forum has taught me that it's ok to be diabetic. Only diabetic in family and only adventurous one too. I did feel odd one out. Well until older sister started adding weight after her pregnancy. She taught me that women do sometimes get fat after been very skinny. She goes skinny off and on now but no diabetes, thank god. I did same diets, same exercise and same evening eating restrictions. I had to starve on less than 600cals to just be obese rather than morbidly obese. With heavy 90mins exercise everyday.

Forgot to ask if your heart problems have been sorted out? pm me if that is too off topic, or tell me to bu**er off if I am being nosey lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We all feel happier telling a story with a happy ending. Don't we. No one likes telling a sad story without hope attached.
Its ok to be in the middle of a journey thou.
It definitely helps when you know where your heading and it's in sight.