Best cost-effective PC-linkable monitor?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, on reflection I can't see myself doing multiple readings every day - the lancing business is going to see to that; not just the discomfort but my continued difficulty in getting decent sized blood droplets!
To get a better blood flow for testing .. Make sure your hands / fingers are warm ... Leave your hand down by your side and wiggle your fingers for a few mins before lancing also you can rub Gentley the area your going to use for the test just before you lance. Have you got the lance set right the higher the number the deeper the lance goes into your finger ... It's gets easer ...honest :confused:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys,

Sorry, late to the party (again).

I didn't actually ever send off for the SD Codefree cable thingy.
It didnt seem worth it, in the end, because I no longer test with the same, er... fervour... that I was during the spring and summer. I ran out of new foods to test, really, and there's only so many times you need to test bacon and egg. ;)

But I'm interested in finding out how anyyone is doing with theirs... Is it good?

I can feel that new toy gadget fever simmering in the background. :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys,

Sorry, late to the party (again).

I didn't actually ever send off for the SD Codefree cable thingy.
It didnt seem worth it, in the end, because I no longer test with the same, er... fervour... that I was during the spring and summer. I ran out of new foods to test, really, and there's only so many times you need to test bacon and egg. ;)

But I'm interested in finding out how anyyone is doing with theirs... Is it good?

I can feel that new toy gadget fever simmering in the background. :happy:
Some time the old fashioned paper and pencil are good .. The wife loves drawing charts from my numbers .. Tried to show one to the DBN .. But she just dropped it in the bin ... Never even asked if I wanted it back !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some time the old fashioned paper and pencil are good .. The wife loves drawing charts from my numbers .. Tried to show one to the DBN .. But she just dropped it in the bin ... Never even asked if I wanted it back !

I would hold that grudge a looooong time!
And avoid her forevermore...

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read through this thread and decided to get the instructions out for my Accu Chek Aviva monitor and to my amazement it has a built in IR (infra red) thingy. Went online and found this site https://www.accu-chek.com/us/estore/buy-cables-and-adapters.html?4 . Apparently they can supply 2 types of cable.
one of them is a usb type $25 USBAdaptor_Full.gif the other a compact type $20CompactCable_Full.gif Just need to find somewhere in the uk that supplies them now.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a miserable cow! :mad: I hope it hasn't put your wife off her charting.

I tend to keep a backup log in a notebook (or occasionally on scraps of paper) mainly because I couldn't ever get my first contour meter to upload its data) but I can now upload with my current one, and the Bayer software will draw graphs for me. My diabetics doctor did actually look at my printouts, comment on, and file them. it's about the only nice thing I can say about him though...

Robbity

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a miserable cow! :mad: I hope it hasn't put your wife off her charting.

I tend to keep a backup log in a notebook (or occasionally on scraps of paper) mainly because I couldn't ever get my first contour meter to upload its data) but I can now upload with my current one, and the Bayer software will draw graphs for me. My diabetics doctor did actually look at my printouts, comment on, and file them. it's about the only nice thing I can say about him though...

Robbity
The wife will do it for fun ! She is an artist .. Horticultralist and garden designer .. As she started before the computer designs started she can do both, but the hand drawn are more for fun now including my graphs.
Some how the harder my wife is put down the more she will fight .. I am so lucky she found the LCHF diet for me :)

Reactions: 3 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just ordered the PC cable for my SD Codefree
It is £19.99 via Amazon and £39.99 on the Home Health website
Once received I will review on here

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i got a brand new Bayer Contour Next starter kit for free just before Christmas and reading through the instructions I noticed that you can actually add a cable to the monitor and download info to your PC. i went on the Bayer website and found to my amazement that you can order the cable for free and not only that, you can download some software for your PC in the form of charts etc. I think the charts and info that you download from the monitor actually synchronize together and the info gets placed on the charts. Still to find this out yet.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@adrian207 The Contour Next will take any usb cable that has a small thin connector on the meter end; some of the older meters do need a special usb cable though. I already had one for my KIndle that I can also use with the Contour Next, so didn't need to order one. The software gets updated each time you connect it to your PC, and will keep a full record of the data. Your meter will keep the last 800 readings.

Bayer seem to be quite generous with their freebies.

Robbity