Best film music?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn't have to be an original film score, any music used to great effect in a film

Just heard this on classic FM so had to listen to my favourite version afterwards :)
It also happens to be one of my favourite films, and the music matches the mood of the moment perfectly! If anyone hasn't seen Brassed Off I highly recommend it, it's set in the 90s in the north of England, about a possible pit closure, ans is centred around the pit's brass band and its members.

Reactions: 4 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn't have to be an original film score, any music used to great effect in a film

Just heard this on classic FM so had to listen to my favourite version afterwards :)
It also happens to be one of my favourite films, and the music matches the mood of the moment perfectly! If anyone hasn't seen Brassed Off I highly recommend it, it's set in the 90s in the north of England, about a possible pit closure, ans is centred around the pit's brass band and its members.
I was lucky enough to be in the band of the stage version of brassed off in Coventry last year

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many to mention, but here's a few:

Mark Knopfler's soundtrack to Local Hero
Ryuchi Sakamoto ditto Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence
Anything scored by Bernard Herrman, but in particular Taxi Driver
The use of Paul Weller's You do Something to Me in Sliding Doors
Ditto Mozart's Piano Concerto no 21 in Elvira Madigan
Likewise the slow movement of the Emperor Piano Concerto in Picnic at Hanging Rock (though I'm not so keen on the Pan Pipe music)
Then there's this: a bit of a cheat because it's what the film's about, rather than providing an aural background, but it's one of my favourite musical moments (well, ten minutes, actually :)) on film. Featuring Carlos "Limited-but-thrilling-guitar-technique" Santana.

:cool:

G

gemma6549

Aerosmith for Armageddon
Iris by the goo goo dolls for city of angels
Calling all angels for pay it forward

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought of this one, really must watch it again soon! David Helfgott is an Australian concert pianist. Helfgott's life inspired the Oscar-winning film Shine, great film!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any chance of a video to show the special moments, otherwise a lot of suggestions won't mean anything to a lot of people ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oklahoma
South Pacific
Sound of Music

Homage to when great music accompanied great films

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Loved the soundtracks to Wild Things and The Matrix.

You can't really talk about this without including Baz Luhrmann films. Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby have what I consider to be stand out soundtracks for modern films.

G

gemma6549

Loved the soundtracks to Wild Things and The Matrix.

You can't really talk about this without including Baz Luhrmann films. Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby have what I consider to be stand out soundtracks for modern films.

Couldn't agree more especially Romeo and Juliet

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The music man
West side story
Carousel
The student prince

[ yes I am a wrinkle ]

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Aerosmith for Armageddon
Iris by the goo goo dolls for city of angels
Calling all angels for pay it forward

City of Angels. Fabulous film ! One of the only few films I have which isn't a horror ! Well Nicholas Cage is in it so possibly !

Oh, welcome back Gemma :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@rowan, love Brassed Off with the late Pete Postlethwaite.

Probably my top 3 for the soundtrack and fav films would be The Deer Hunter, The Godfather (part 1) and Once Upon a Time in America.

C

chris lowe

Too many to mention, but here's a few:

Mark Knopfler's soundtrack to Local Hero
Ryuchi Sakamoto ditto Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence
Anything scored by Bernard Herrman, but in particular Taxi Driver
The use of Paul Weller's You do Something to Me in Sliding Doors
Ditto Mozart's Piano Concerto no 21 in Elvira Madigan
Likewise the slow movement of the Emperor Piano Concerto in Picnic at Hanging Rock (though I'm not so keen on the Pan Pipe music)
Then there's this: a bit of a cheat because it's what the film's about, rather than providing an aural background, but it's one of my favourite musical moments (well, ten minutes, actually :)) on film. Featuring Carlos "Limited-but-thrilling-guitar-technique" Santana.

:cool:
Oh yes, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. Brilliant film but never seems to be on tv.