BG spiking before bed and around 9 am

jordan1999b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone new user here 23, 24 tomorow had t1d since i was 12
recently been put onto dexcom one which i love as i have always struggled to manage my diabetes for the last year i havent really taken it serious at all and have pretty much resulted in having no insulin to maybe just enough to get me by lost 6 stone in 9 months probably due to ketones in my blood but i have a young son an i now need to take it serious as i dont want him to grow up without me.

i have started to get my bloods down to a better range considering evverytime i was reading over 24mmol easy probably every time they now sit around 8-13mmol but spike after food and i can have up to 20 units of nova rapid sometimes before bed they have been around 11-13 and go up and down in the night then down to around 8-9mmol in the morning but i dont normaly eat till around 10-30AM at work but they seem to be rising slowly every 5 mins even without any food

coul i need to up my tresiba basal rate as i currently have 100 units of this

thanks
bloods 1.png
bloods 2.png
bloods 3.png
bloods 4.png
bloods 5.png

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the description and looking at the graphs, the rise in the morning is probably (IMO) "foot on the floor" syndrome - basically stress causing the liver to release glucose. I differentiate this from "dawn phenomenon" which I think of as a more gradual rise that usually starts in the early hours of the morning (even while you're still asleep).

I would be tempted to take a few units of bolus before the rise starts - e.g. when you first get up or when you leave for work depending on which one looks like it aligns best with the rise so that you can pre-bolus for your breakfast with your BG in range rather than needing to do a correction dose at the same time.

Is it possible to overlay meal data on the graphs (times, carbs quantity, what the food is), which might help trying to work out what the other spikes, etc., are caused by?

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Hi @jordan1999b - this won't help you in the short term (@SimonP78 will help more with that), in the mid-longer term I'd recommend you talk to your diabetes team about going on a pump.

Will make adjusting for the ups and downs easier and give you much better control - worth a thought next time you're at the GP / Hospital for your Diabetes care.