BG

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Through the nite my BG has went to 4.2 @ 01:31 had lunch bowl of soup,Blt sandwich two chocolate bars can full fat coke and some more sweets and my BG after 50 mins was 5.8
After one and a half hours it was 11.5
At 6:34 this morning it was 5.3 is this ok?
Thanks Jim.....

Reactions: Freema

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For the moment your body is dealing with what you are doing to it but if you keep eating like that it will not be able to deal with it for long. Over 7.8 is the level that damage to your body begins at. The more time you spend above that, the more damage accumulates. 11.5 is not OK.

Reactions: Claudio1

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For the moment your body is dealing with what you are doing to it but if you keep eating like that it will not be able to deal with it for long. Over 7.8 is the level that damage to your body begins at. The more time you spend above that, the more damage accumulates. 11.5 is not OK.

Thanks for that
So what is the best BG count then?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it is normal to be on the low 4s then?

If you aren't taking any medication for your diabetes low 4 is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, certainly not a requirement for a midnight snack.

If you are taking medication that might cause hypos you would need to eat to drive and would probably eat to sleep.

When I was at this level I did not feel very well tho

That's a false hypo. Your body has been used to being high so it thinks the normal numbers are low, you just need to retrain your body to get used to normal levels.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Because you are taking gliclazide you need to keep an eye on it and maybe have a SMALL snack if you are going to sleep or driving. Having your blood sugars going up to over 11 while taking those meds is not good. You really do need to think about the amount of sugar you are asking your body to deal with. Having diabetes type 2 means that your body does not process carbohydrates properly. Not just candy bars and coke but bread, potatoes, rice and pasta all need to be eaten in moderation. Because you are on meds that force your body to produce more insulin you need to be careful not to go too low as well. Use your meter to find out what you can tolerate and what you can't. If a food puts you higher than about 8 at 90 minutes more than once then you need to either reduce the portion or eliminate that food. That is what people are talking about when they say eat to your meter.

Because of your meds I would suggest that staying between 5 and 8 would be a good range. Preferably at the lower half of that range

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks started to try the LCHF eating and I have been in the mid 5s but last night was the lowest I have seen
Was just a wee bit worried by it that's all

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because if you aren't on the glic then it is unlikely that you will get bad hypos so it will be easier to control your BG by diet plus metformin. You won't need to keep having extra glucose 'just in case' and this in turn will help stabilise things for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because your lower carb diet is helping to lower your blood sugars so you need less medication. It's exactly what most of have done to become diet controlled. As your bloods get lower by diet you don't need the drugs (or at least you need fewer) go see your doc..but if he says eat more carbs to counteract the effects of the drugs(not unknown) then find a new doctor...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it is normal to be on the low 4s then?

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

To be in the fours are like normal blood glucose to many non diabetics... some are feeling fine in the fours also like 4.0 but some do get lower in the night and below 3.5 is considered too low blood glucose, but to type 2 diabetics that don´t take insuline affecting medications (which metformin is not ) to those it is usually not dangerous to be 3.5 and even a bit lower. But if that low right before bedtime it will be wise to eat a Little bite of something with carbs in, but only a little like max 10 grams of carbs, unless you are taking insuline affecting medications which gliazide is , then you need to be like 5.5 in the night before sleep and also before going driving and biking and other kinds of risky doings... it can get far to low if one is on insuline affecting medications.

I myself am aiming for a blood glucose at 4.5mmol in the morning and when not having been eating, that is the normal number to me like it was before I was diabetic, I haven´t succeeded yet...

MOD EDIT : Changed URL to not go through an advertiser redirect

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wiseowl_123

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glicizide works by lowering blood glucose levels.
It helps you lower your insulin resistance and improve your insulin output to clear up the excess glucose.
When near normal levels reduction of the glicizide is needed to offset hypos.

A gradual reduction with agreement from your GP is the way to go.
However, unless you are able to control your levels through diet and low carb, your levels will bounce up and down, which is not good.

This will all take time!
Normal blood glucose levels are between depending on how you can cope with carbs and sugars is usually between 3.7 and 6.0 mmols.
So a reading of four is good!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your Gliclazide was prescribed because you were eating carbs and consequently had high BG levels, Now you are eating low carb your BG levels aren't high so you need either less Gliclazide or none, but this needs to be discussed with your doctor/nurse.

The lower carb you go, the less glucose there is in your bloodstream and therefore you need less insulin to clear the glucose. As Gliclazide forces your pancreas to produce extra insulin, you end up with BG levels that are too low and are in danger of having a hypo.

Reactions: zand