Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi I need help I try and eat healthy then out of the blue I eat food that I shouldn't eat I mean just an hour or so ago I just binged on handful of fantales chocolates and ***** bears. I can't work out why I do this it is not only this occasions when I binge it is often not lollies only sometimes its craving of food and I get so depressed about it as this is not helping my diabetes and other health issues. Do anyone else do the same what do you do to overcome these binges. I have seen a psychologist about a 15 months ago who was suppose to help people with eating disorders will sadly it didn't help me. we talked about what I ate and feelings I had before I binged but never really got any help on how to stop it. been told having diabetes can make you crave food and binge as well I have Ulcerative colitis someone once told me I don't get my nutrients so I am binging to try and get them.
I've looked at LCHF diet but too much fat affects my colitis. and even when I do eat low carb (without to much fat) I am still binging.

If there is anyone out there that can help or if they go through the same issues how do you cope with it any ideas suggestions on what I should do.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I had a coronary,then 3 stents and newly diagnosed diabetes, all at the same time.Eating habits had to be completely changed unless I wanted craving for forbidden food and a saltcellar on the table.Forget psychological counseling because it`s very simple; indulge or die.It`s up to you to make a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @annabell1

It must be very hard balancing things.

What are the dietary requirements of your ulcerative colitis? I have only known one person with UC, and they had very specific foods they had to avoid. Do you find the same?

Reactions: annabell1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I need help I try and eat healthy then out of the blue I eat food that I shouldn't eat I mean just an hour or so ago I just binged on handful of fantales chocolates and ***** bears. I can't work out why I do this it is not only this occasions when I binge it is often not lollies only sometimes its craving of food and I get so depressed about it as this is not helping my diabetes and other health issues. Do anyone else do the same what do you do to overcome these binges. I have seen a psychologist about a 15 months ago who was suppose to help people with eating disorders will sadly it didn't help me. we talked about what I ate and feelings I had before I binged but never really got any help on how to stop it. been told having diabetes can make you crave food and binge as well I have Ulcerative colitis someone once told me I don't get my nutrients so I am binging to try and get them.
I've looked at LCHF diet but too much fat affects my colitis. and even when I do eat low carb (without to much fat) I am still binging.

If there is anyone out there that can help or if they go through the same issues how do you cope with it any ideas suggestions on what I should do.

Hi Annabel - We've had a couple of members who have had ulcerative colitis as well as their diabetes to contend with. It certainly adds an unwanted dimension, for sure. I do recall they have had some challenges trying different foods and combinations.

I don't know what you were actually eating when you tried LCHF, but a trap some can encounter is thinking they need to eat a lot of fat, whereas the secret is just eating enough fat to satisfy your funger. I don't have colitis, but if I overdo my fat intake, my system objects unpleasantly (I'll spare the details!).

The person who mentioned that you might not be getting your nutrients may not be too far off the mark, although your binge targets aren't incredibly nutrient rich. Is it always sweet things you binge on, or savoury stuff too? My understanding is folks often binge on sweet things because of the sugar rush and quick burst of energy.

What sort of things do you like to eat?

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi Annabel - We've had a couple of members who have had ulcerative colitis as well as their diabetes to contend with. It certainly adds an unwanted dimension, for sure. I do recall they have had some challenges trying different foods and combinations.

I don't know what you were actually eating when you tried LCHF, but a trap some can encounter is thinking they need to eat a lot of fat, whereas the secret is just eating enough fat to satisfy your funger. I don't have colitis, but if I overdo my fat intake, my system objects unpleasantly (I'll spare the details!).

The person who mentioned that you might not be getting your nutrients may not be too far off the mark, although your binge targets aren't incredibly nutrient rich. Is it always sweet things you binge on, or savoury stuff too? My understanding is folks often binge on sweet things because of the sugar rush and quick burst of energy.

What sort of things do you like to eat?
Hi yeah I do eat savoury as well like bag of chips or twisters not only the sugar fix. I can sometimes be low in iron at moment I been very fatigued since switching to a new dosing of my medication for my colitis . so yes agree with your statement about the burst of energy and think it is also boredom.

the foods I eat are bread sourdough as it seems to be ok for my colitis but it can play havoc on my diabetes that is why i thought i should try the LCHF approach. I try eating some sort of protein and tolerated vegetables or salad making my own salad dressing and sometimes using butter on the vegetables or sour cream and sometimes add rice or pasta and some fruits. I drink mostly water, coffee and tea. but have the occasional alcohol drink and or soft drink. On Friday I was in town for an appointment and I hadn't eaten since 7:30 am it was 2pm and I went to have lunch which was Chinese take away and soft drink as my sugar was 4.5 so needed to eat after I ate that meal I don't know why but I ended up craving sweets and went into the supermarket before boarding my train trip for my 2 hour commute home and brought 2 bags of lollies and munched on a few, then stopped. I hid the bags when I got home but for some reason last night after dinner it happened again and I munched away. I think you might be right about the energy burst.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi @annabell1

It must be very hard balancing things.

What are the dietary requirements of your ulcerative colitis? I have only known one person with UC, and they had very specific foods they had to avoid. Do you find the same?

yes it can be hard at times I try and avoid certain foods due to my UC but sometimes I am tempted and eat them since having UC I try and avoid grains and fibre rich foods. so I eat white bread white rice I eat protein mainly chicken but have meat or fish white sweet potatoes tolerated vegetables and home made soups and salad dressings.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again :)

If you are finding that temptation strikes at a particular time of day - as you go home at the end of the work day, or when you are v hungry for lunch - then that looks to me like it is a bit of a blood glucose dip, triggering hunger/cravings.

I get this too, and once you know it, and understand it, then it is matter of getting for coping get mechanisms in place. :) so you can avoid it.

My coping mechanisms were to ALWAYS have something low carb and tasty in my bag to snack on, so that it was actually easier to reach for that than to have to go out shopping. For me that was either a Baby Bel, a peanut 9bar or some 70% dark choc. Hard to binge on any of them!

My second strategy was knowing the ‘danger times’ when the cravings were likely to strike (if my lunch was going to be late, on the way home from work, and before bed), and I tried to make sure I was never hungry then. I had a habit of eating a virtuous low calorie evening meal. Then getting ravenous and snacking before bed. Ended up switching to a bigger evening meal and those cravings just disappeared.

Hope that helps!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi again :)

If you are finding that temptation strikes at a particular time of day - as you go home at the end of the work day, or when you are v hungry for lunch - then that looks to me like it is a bit of a blood glucose dip, triggering hunger/cravings.

I get this too, and once you know it, and understand it, then it is matter of getting for coping get mechanisms in place. :) so you can avoid it.

My coping mechanisms were to ALWAYS have something low carb and tasty in my bag to snack on, so that it was actually easier to reach for that than to have to go out shopping. For me that was either a Baby Bel, a peanut 9bar or some 70% dark choc. Hard to binge on any of them!

My second strategy was knowing the ‘danger times’ when the cravings were likely to strike (if my lunch was going to be late, on the way home from work, and before bed), and I tried to make sure I was never hungry then. I had a habit of eating a virtuous low calorie evening meal. Then getting ravenous and snacking before bed. Ended up switching to a bigger evening meal and those cravings just disappeared.

Hope that helps!
Yes that makes heaps of sense I do have a bad habit sometimes letting sugar drop and then have to get something into me. Your ideas sound like good idea . Especially when I'm out and about as dont work anymore I had to medical retire because of my UC. And just don't prepare things as no idea what to take to eat. Also my UC makes me very fatigued or not hungry and some days so tired to cook. I need to plan my days better and make foods I can just grap out of the freezer and heat up.

Thank you appreciate your reply and help.