Bit of a ladies topic ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

Can diabetes cause you to lose your period ? I have pcos but it seems under control as I now longer have any ovary cysts but I have only slightly raised testosterone think it was 5.7 and it's to be below 5.5 I think the Dr said

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone

Can diabetes cause you to lose your period ? I have pcos but it seems under control as I now longer have any ovary cysts but I have only slightly raised testosterone think it was 5.7 and it's to be below 5.5 I think the Dr said

Not that I've ever heard of. Could you be pregnant? An eating disorder can stop periods, any chance of that? Are you eating enough to fulfill your body's needs?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not having periods can also be a symptom of PCOS... I would say it is more likely that than diabetes. Then you should probably get checked by your doc to make sure there is nothing else going on also. I wish you the best. :)

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. Dr done the checks to see why and discovered that I was diabetic lol . We shall see. I'm not pregnant and I did a test to confirm it. Maybe stress or something. Or I have been on and off a vegan diet and I am not on it now though

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. Dr done the checks to see why and discovered that I was diabetic lol . We shall see. I'm not pregnant and I did a test to confirm it. Maybe stress or something. Or I have been on and off a vegan diet and I am not on it now though

A vegan diet can be very healthy as long as you're getting all the protein and amino acids you need. Don't blow this off, babe, could be something that needs investigation. I know this female stuff like smear tests isn't pleasant, but better to know, yeah? Then you can deal. *hugs*

Reactions: coleyd

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is more likely that PCOS stops period than diabetes, when the body is very stressed or maybe suffer from malnutrition the period also can stop for longer periods,but even that is seldome.
To be very low in iron levels can also cause periods to go away and vegans are actually prone to be too low in iron and also proteins .
The core problem in being vegan is that one has no inherited habits of well nutriented food styles developed over hundreds of years, and that one easily can prefer foods that are not all together adequate in minimum levels of essential nutrients. So to be a healthy vegan one needs to be a kind of nutrients expert.Vegans should be especially aware that they get vitamin B 12 and also iron proteins( all the needed kinds ) vitamin K2 and also omega 3 acids especially the kind like from krill containing EPA and DHA which are essential for a healthy brain and for healthy nerves... But it can be taken as supplements besides the vegan foods . Most vegans thrives for the first decade and then start to get health problems if they are not aware of the black holes in that food style

Last edited:
Reactions: coleyd

Hotpepper20000

Hi everyone

Are you on Metformin for PCOS and or diabetes?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not on anything no. My cysts disappeared just before I got pregnant as I'd lost alot of Weight and ate really well. But not sure why periods haywire as hormones all fine except that slight raisee testosterone which could indicate that it's still hanging about in my blood

Hotpepper20000

Not on anything no. My cysts disappeared just before I got pregnant as I'd lost alot of Weight and ate really well. But not sure why periods haywire as hormones all fine except that slight raisee testosterone which could indicate that it's still hanging about in my blood

A person can still have symptoms of PCOS with out having cysts.
I have most of them but no cysts. Best to go see your doctor and get everything checked out.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had PCOS for years... and the only reason I don't get cysts is because they placed me on the pill to control my hormones and stop cysts from forming. I was placed on the pill in my late 20's after a horrible run with cysts and also because my migraines were triggered by hormones and I kept getting migraines 9/10 every month. These days I couldn't tolerate a migraine every month with all the other stuff I deal with. I now only have a period every 3 cycles of the pill... they recommend that as well. So I'm really on the pill for PCOS and migraine control. If you're not on the pill, it's likely your hormones are still not balanced and this would stop your periods.... you already mentioned elevated testosterone which would no doubt stop periods. You don't need to have cysts to still have PCOS symptoms. I still have PCOS symptoms even though I'm on the pill... eg. I have a high number of skin tags that keep forming which is a symptom of PCOS.

M

ME_Valentijn

Mine was skipping months most of my life. It became normal when I started taking a vitamin B complex.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had pcos and additional underlying endocrine issues for 2 decades - with no periods for all that time.

Thought it was fabulous. No periods!!!
(At the time I had no idea of the attendant long term health risks of no periods for a woman of reproductive age)

Then I eventually came across a healthcare professional who was interested enough to listen, they ended up diagnosing the underlying endocrine issue.

As a plus, I am now healthier, though the pcos persists.
As a minus, my dratted periods came back.
But you can't have everything.

I never wanted children - might feel differently if I had, but thankfully I've never been broody.

So, anyway, I wouldn't just assume 'it's pcos' causing your current periodless. It may be. Or it may be something else (like it was with me). The trick is finding a doc who is willing to look beyond the obvious.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
My Doctors told me that it can but only if you are constantly running in or on the verge of DKA numbers. So if you are seeing good results on bgs then I'd look somewhere else for your cause. PCOS is being mentioned but it could also be Endometriosis? Pregnancy could ease the symptoms and halt cysts while still upsetting your menstrual cycle. It is near impossible to get a diagnosis though. I would try taking the pill or injections to regulate and see if things fall in line that way.