Blood glucose readings

barb1

I've got a blood testing kit from GP which is a MyLlife Pura but the test strips cost about £19 (Amazon). So I bought the Codefree SD meter as strips were considerably cheaper. However, when I was feeling as if I was becoming hypo this afternoon the Codefree was reading 6.0 whereas the My Life Pura read 3.6. Does anyone else have problems of higher readings with the Codefree SD system? I feel I should trust the meter that more closely matches how I feel.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
did you wash your hands thoroughly before , and did you use the second blood-drop and not the first you squeezed out ?
I think there is some inaccuracy plus minus like 10% ...
but your difference is a lot ... dont know why... but one number really doesn´t count a lot , it is the overall average that tells one how well one is doing...

maybe there was a trace of sugar on the first tests finger

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes there is human error, and sometimes there is a fault with a particular strip (or even a whole tub of strips very occasionally) and this applies to all meters. Whenever you get a reading that is totally unexpected, or outside your normal range for that time of day, it is always worth a second (or even a third) test. That is a big discrepancy ... but either meter could be wrong, or both meters.

Are you on medication that can cause hypos? Or do you need to inject insulin? If so, it really matters that you trust your meter. If not, then it isn't so important as all we look for is trends.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've no experience of the meters you have, but I've a GlucoMen meter (NHS provided) and get a calibration solution for it that I use once a year to check it is still accurate.