Blood sugar 2.9 why?

samsnug

Hi, I am new here. I just wanted to Ask a question because there seems to be so much conflicting information online. I have just had a blood sugar reading of 2.9 and want to shed some light on it.

I have not been diagnosed with diabetes. However my Dad and most of his family do have or have had diabetes. I have recently been given a blood glucose meter by a friend and some test strips. This is because I often feel weird if I am overly hungry and just wanted to see if my sugar was low. I also have been having a few other potential symptoms such as frequent urination, sweats etc...

I have only tested a few times and generally from what i can make out the readings seem ok. Fasting in the morning it has been 4.6, and 2 hours after eating it has been 6. Except the other day where 1 hour after eating a bowl of custard with bananas it rose up to 9.6 - is this ok?

So today i have been busy but I have eaten. For breakfast I had a bowl of fruit and fibre, and the same for lunch as I was busy. at around 3pm I had a fig yoghurt and a banana and a small piece of chocolate. At 5pm I had 2 handfuls of Cheerios (I should stress that I don't normally eat such a lot of cereal - i was just putting the box away and my daughter asked for a handful so I did the same).
At 5.30 I started to feel faint - it felt like the blood was draining out of my head. I sat down and put my head low between my legs. I also felt a bit shaky. I checked my sugar and it was 2.9. I panicked a little and put my mouth around the squeezey honey and took a big swig. I opened the fridge and had a glass of apple and pear juice. My hands were quite shaky. 15 minutes later sugar was up to 4.6 then shortly after 5.2. I still feel quite strange in the head.

Could anyone offer advice on what is going on, and whether I should be concerned about this? Should I chat with my GP?

Sorry about lengthy post just trying to provide as much info as possible.

Thanks, Sam.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you should go and see your GP. He can check you over and do some test to find out whether you are diabetic or not. With your family history it could increase the risk of you having it, but only a GP can say. Get him to test and come back with your result. Hopefully you won't have it, but if you have you will get lots of help and advise on the Forum.

Ann

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Is this new for you or something that has always been the same? It wouldn't be abnormal for someone who is not diabetic to have low blood sugar levels-even down to 2.5. There are however conditions of the pancreas and other organs that can trigger more insulin production so you should get checked by your GP.

samsnug

HI Thanks for replies. I think I will book a GP appointment today. I;m not sure if this is new or not really. I am pretty sure that I have had low blood sugar level symptoms for a while but have not had means to test them. Maybe a year or two. Appreciate the help.

sugar2

As far as I know...non diabetics can and do get blood sugars that are very low.

I agree, go and see your GP, but personally, I wouldn't be too worried, it is just your body telling you to eat something. Obviosuly, having diabetes in eth family does make you very aware of blood sugar etc...but I don't think that anyone in teh early stages of diabetes, would get a low Blood sugar like 2.9.

Best of luck.

samsnug

Thanks Sugar2, from reading i did last night i agree, it doesn't seem like a typical diabetic symptom. I guess my concern comes mainly because i had eaten regularly yesterday, and this happened 20 minutes after having two handfuls of a sugary breakfast cereal. Maybe because I had so much sugary stuff yesterday, my body produced too much insulin? Anyway, got an appointment just to make sure.
Thanks again, Sam