Blood sugars

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugars over the last week have been good usuall 5 to 6 in morning n I haven't been testing as much during day maybe after tea n aroun 6 or 7 I have been eating low carb diet I had a couple of Pilsner last night n tested 2 hours after first one they were 6.7 good today I have done lots of exercise never checked till 2 hours after a roast dinner I had a couple of roast potatoes don't usually tested 2 hours after 5.6 . Then again half hour later 4.7 The nurse the other week said that my sugars would never go low and I know it's not too low but wondering why not reacted to carbs

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's diabetes for you, you worry if your blood sugars to high then you worry if there to low. I think the aim of LC diet is to get control and maintain sugars within the normal range it would seem you have succeeded. It may be congratulations are in order I certainly do hope so.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people can eat potatoes. I know I can as long as I only have 2 or 3 small ones. With me it is flour that causes me to spike, so gravy is very difficult, which is sad when having a roast dinner. Other people cannot eat potatoes. This is why we test, to eliminate our personal danger foods and reduce the portion sizes on ones we tolerate better.

It is also possible you peaked well before the 2 hour mark and recovered by the time you tested, which is good. This is why I test between 1 and 2 hours.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't say if you are on meds. If not there is little fear of too low.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did test 1 and 2 hours don't usually but the guilt of eating the potatoes made me check I know obsessive tested again 5.3 over the last few days my exercise has gone up by a lot back to the low carb though I was wondering if Holstein pills had any affect even though not high after it

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry kristin no meds at all
Don't be sorry about no meds... sounds like you have good control and can manage a few more carbs than most.. as always keep testing and see what you can have without spikes and enjoy eating it! not to excess obviously..
All the best
Mark

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your insulin resistance has probably improved, so that you can have a few more carbs than you're used to.
But you still need to keep testing to see what happens.

I still don't know why you didn't go high with the pilsner!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing to be sorry about. I envy you. As mark said just keep testing. Things can change when the wind blows. Without meds and if yiu don't have RH the chances of you going to low is slim to none. Your liver will take care of that. I have always liked being under 100. I feel best at 85. I call it my bingo number. Even on insulin I stay very close but there was lots if testing. When your new and testing foods there is no such thing as obsession as far as I'm concerned it's called gathering information
I understand the feeling guilty eating something and that's why low carb works for me. The guilt causes anxiety and I would rather not feel either of those.

As nosher said your insulin sensitivity has probably improved. Reducing carbs grains dairy and other foods you may be sensitive will all help with your IS.

Keep up the good work:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It still has alcohol and alcohol is said to improve insulin sensitivity. My thinking is they balance each other

Wine has cRbs and will lower me unless I drink a ton..haha
If I am slightly high before bed I will have a small glass of wine and wake up lower.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou everyone's advice amazing I am gonna continue with low carb I feel better in myself n a couple of drinks occasionally but will monitor my no go area is wine it sent it higher

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be odd for me unless it was sweet or white. I like dry reds but vodka will lower me more and faster. I drink it with water. Beer raises me and very sad as I love stouts. My hubby drinks it so I will steal a few sips. And savor the flavor.

I have 2 drinks every night. One before dinner and the second lasts through dinner. Part of my routine and bs likes it too. I could do much worse. I was actually advised to have a drink with dinner when I was T 2. Now with insulin I need a small snack and need to keep an eye on it. The good news for you is if you go a little high a short walk should take you right back down. Envy again, haha

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aww bless least u know what ur doing and what works and doesn't I was told I had Lada by nurse n she told me only to test once a day I may try red dry I usually have white it spikes me though trial and error but test always

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also advised to have a glass of wine with dinner, but told not to treat wine as medication!
I like a glass before dinner and find this lowers me.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Least it works for you I try not to drink once a week is enough

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you. I like the stress relieving factor as well as the flavor. Whites are higher carbs. Try a Merlot or Cabernet if you wish. If you like sweet though you probably won't like it

LADA and rest once a day? Odd. If you're LADA how are you not on meds?

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dunno I don't understand the nurse at all I asked her she didn't explain said I could have gad n c peptide test she offered me meteor in but said I didn't need it at moment I reckon I am type 2 my nan type 1 she said glucose intolerance test high I will try the wine though