• Start Date

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Urggg .. I now have my blood taken from a vein between my hand and elbow on the upper side . Much better ( for now ! )

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The health care assistants at my GPs surgery are not very good. I did faint once so they are nervous and it always goes a bit wrong with lots of bruising. What I do now is take the signed form and go to a big hospital about 12 miles away when they have a walk in first come / first served clinic - the ladies there are excellent - very fast, no pain and no bruising.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
General answer is you need a phlebotomist not a general nurse if you have any problems with them taking blood.

Good if your GP surgery has one, if not it is probably better to go to the nearest general hospital which has an outpatient clinic.

There is a lot of difference when you are seen by someone who does nothing all day but take blood samples.

D

Deleted member 83869

Dont have the option of going elsewhere at this surgery as they dont give you a form....they send a request to the phlebotomist in our surgery and then we make an appointment for the blood test

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
They started doing that at my surgery - but I just insist on the form as I can't be bothered with having to make an appointment for a blood test with the health care assistants there, especially as nowadays the earliest you can get an appointment is at least a week away.

D

Deleted member 83869

They started doing that at my surgery - but I just insist on the form as I can't be bothered with having to make an appointment for a blood test with the health care assistants there, especially as nowadays the earliest you can get an appointment is at least a week away.
Ahh they are pretty good with blood test appointments at my GP, generally the next day....sometimes same day!!

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my three months bloods yesterday since diagnosis, had a call today, lost my bloods, back tomorrow for some more....:arghh: