Boils on Leg

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is a bit gross but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this - I find if my bs is higher than usual over a few days I often get a boil growing on my legs. Super painful, but not sure if I can link it directly to diabetes or not.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is a bit gross but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this - I find if my bs is higher than usual over a few days I often get a boil growing on my legs. Super painful, but not sure if I can link it directly to diabetes or not.

I've never had a boil, but I think they're not uncommon if your BS is high over a period of time. I hope it's not too painful, and that it goes away quickly.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@isjoberg

Boils (aka Abscess) can be very painful so I do hope you can get on top of these occuring. Have you discussed these occuring with your Diabetes Nurse? It would seem to be a sensible thing to do and maybe she can advise the best way forward for you.

High blood glucose levels will play a large part in these appearing as infection thrives on sugary environment. Would it be possible to improve your glucose control a little bit tighter and, hopefully, prevent these from happening?

Good luck ;)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you inject in your legs?

A lot of us can carry bacteria on our skin, and one common example of this is Staphylococcal. After injecting, the bacteria can get under the skin through the injection site and then start reeking havoc...

If any of the above is applicable to you, antibacterial soaps will help keep the bacterial levels on your skin down. But I think keeping your BG in range will help you the most.

S

Shar67

Same but different, my dog has acne, I have recently said goodbye to another dog.
Dog no1 with the acne developed a huge carbuncle (a group of boils) we think it was because he was a bit depressed losing his mate.
We treated it by putting a warm compress on it first thing in morning and last thing at night.
To make compress I used boiled water cooled down so I could put my finger in it for 30 seconds, I added Epsom salts to water, 1 tsp to half cup of water, using a clean lint free cloth, I immersed to cloth in the water, rung out excess water and held cloth to carbuncle for 10 minutes, I the used a cotton bud dipped in tea tree oil rubbed over area, then applied a breathable dressing. After 2 days boils burst open, I washed area with an anti bacterial soap then repeated compress and dressing routine. The boil becomes softer and a little more painful as it drains. By day 6 the boils were gone and his acne improved no end.
You can use bread soaked in warmed milk as well as a compress (old fashioned way)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Anti bacterial soap may well be a good idea but please do not use it on your lady bits. It is one of the biggest causes of thrush in women as it messes with the natural balance of things. Regular soap or body wash only down south. This is advice straight from an OB/GYN

jinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
U need to be very careful of boils/ abscesses as I didn't know I had one and ended up in intensive care. Not to panic anyone but my sugars went haywire for a few days then started getting tremors, temp and finally delirious. ... I am on strong painkillers for other pain and did not notice the perianal abscess. I then went into septic shock. Thankfully after an operation and antibiotics I pulled through. You should always go to nurse/dr when you get these as they can be dangerous.