Breakfast cereal

D

Deleted Account

I eat whatever I fancy. Rarely cereal but also rarely low carb.
Anything from a bowl of fresh fruit, toast and marmalade (both home made), granola, egg muffins, flapjack, ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Levy and therower

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My current favourite breakfast is overnight oats. I soak a handful of rolled oats in some yoghurt, overnight in the fridge, with some cocoa powder for flavour. Followed by some fruit, most likely a grapefruit.

It's delicious, and lots of nutrients.

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bridie9408. I usually change my go to breakfast every couple of months, purely out of boredom:).
As for cereals my faves are granola and oats. The trick I find with cereals is pre bolusing, usually a good 45 mins for me. This can be awkward on work days.
Every Saturday is full English breakfast day, toast , beans, hash browns or whatever is on the menu depending on where we eat.
Other breakfast options for me are 2 boiled eggs and toast or my current favourite is...... avocado, banana, peanut butter, flax or hemp seeds and milk. All blended together and left overnight in the fridge. Makes for a very thick smoothie that has a minimum spike, requires only a small pre bolus and keeps me going for upto 5 hrs.

Bridie9408

Hi @Bridie9408. I usually change my go to breakfast every couple of months, purely out of boredom:).
As for cereals my faves are granola and oats. The trick I find with cereals is pre bolusing, usually a good 45 mins for me. This can be awkward on work days.
Every Saturday is full English breakfast day, toast , beans, hash browns or whatever is on the menu depending on where we eat.
Other breakfast options for me are 2 boiled eggs and toast or my current favourite is...... avocado, banana, peanut butter, flax or hemp seeds and milk. All blended together and left overnight in the fridge. Makes for a very thick smoothie that has a minimum spike, requires only a small pre bolus and keeps me going for upto 5 hrs.
I am not big breakfast person so I would stick to small bowl cereal and slice toast.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 3 weetabix and peanut butter, plus a piece of fruit. Considering getting rid of one or two of the weetabix to swap out for a yoghurt.

Sometimes I have toast and hot breakfast eg eggs, tomato, bacon etc instead.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge for me, 60g weighed dry, water to 300ml in the glass jug and 4 mins in a microwave, semi skim milk to taste and another 2 minutes cooking, works most days for me, sometimes with wholemeal bread if I've been busy, and poached eggs, again supper, if busy I can eat 1 or 2 Weetabix and stay level 'ish' over night mostly, or hypo without them.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm okay with "normal" breakfast cereals as long as I bolus 30-45 minutes beforehand and go for a walk soon afterwards. This is fine on weekdays as I walk to the station to catch the train to work, but on weekends it's more challenging if I'm just lazing around: will usually spike to 9-11mmol in those circumstances.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
45g jumbo oats, soaked in 170ml unsweetened almond milk in the fridge overnight, 2 min 10 sec in the microwave, put in 15g butter and zap for another 20 secs stir in the butter and mix in 60g raspberries, that's my breakfast every morning :) x

patchworks101

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
Some brioche with nutella. The brioche gives me a reasonable quick carb hit and the nutella is slow release throughout the morning. Reading some of the earlier replies I seem to eat a lot less than lots of people (I also take our dog for at least an hours walk to burn off some of the carbs :angelic: )

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 3 weetabix and peanut butter, plus a piece of fruit. Considering getting rid of one or two of the weetabix to swap out for a yoghurt.

Sometimes I have toast and hot breakfast eg eggs, tomato, bacon etc instead.
How much insulin do you take for this? Weetabix spikes me into the mid teens an hour or so after eating, but within another hour to an hour and a half im under 5 mmol. This is sometimes without insulin as well.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40g of Jumbo Oats for me with 190ml milk and a tiny pinch of salt if I'm not using any toppings (banana, mixed berries). Otherwise I like eggs for breakfast with bacon and mushrooms.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A very large boiled egg with a half slice of homemade bread cut into fingers and fried in garlic infused olive oil.

Has anyone tried duck eggs?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried duck eggs?
I haven't had them for years as it was our fish shop that used to get them in and they closed down! They are lovely but much stronger and richer than a hens egg if that's what you were wondering? xx

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much insulin do you take for this? Weetabix spikes me into the mid teens an hour or so after eating, but within another hour to an hour and a half im under 5 mmol. This is sometimes without insulin as well.

I take 6 units for 36g carbs of weetabix+peanut butter. I eat weetabix at other times during the day too and bolus the same ratio without problems. When I get spikes in the morning it is invariably a basal issue (or result of an earlier low) rather than because of the breakfast.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty often mornings are too weird to eat but if I can I have something with eggs. Not really my choice, I was always a granola person, but that doesn't seem like a very sensible idea.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it's 69g (dry) oats in 250ml skimmed milk with cinnamon and some sweenter and whacked in the microwave for a 3 mins, then stir in 1 table spoon of natural peanut butter. With this is a mug of tea and 3 poached eggs. Breakfast ready to go!!!

Reactions: kaylz91

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had them for years as it was our fish shop that used to get them in and they closed down! They are lovely but much stronger and richer than a hens egg if that's what you were wondering? xx

I would like to try duck eggs. Perhaps I should try an omelet first.

Reactions: kaylz91