Caffeine sensitivity

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Just wondered whether anyone has notice a sensitivity to caffeine, when they got into the LCHF?

At first, I gave up coffee/tea and alcohol completely. I have since then introduced coffee back into my diet, not the large latte I once loved, but an Americano with 30ml thick cream.

I have noticed my feet and hands are very cold again, upset stomach and palpitations or rapid heart beat.

I have decided to give up the coffee again, to see if these issues go away.

Thanks Daren

Reactions: Guzzler and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Just wondered whether anyone has notice a sensitivity to caffeine, when they got into the LCHF?

At first, I gave up coffee/tea and alcohol completely. I have since then introduced coffee back into my diet, not the large latte I once loved, but an Americano with 30ml thick cream.

I have noticed my feet and hands are very cold again, upset stomach and palpitations or rapid heart beat.

I have decided to give up the coffee again, to see if these issues go away.

Thanks Daren

Hi @darenu,

Interesting observation. Have you measured your blood sugar levels after having coffee? If your blood sugars are fine, then I probably wouldn't worry, as your body will get used to the caffeine again after a while.

Unfortunately, in my case I have observed that caffeine also caused a rise in blood sugars, so I switched to a high quality decaffeinated espresso, which kept the elevation in blood sugar levels to a modest level. This might also be an option for you.

Reactions: Freema and Chook

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont know usually dont drink coffee But Yesterday had two Big muggs didnt sleep at all
This night
So no coffee for me today

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@darenu - Some way along the way I found I was much more sensitive to caffeine, so I'm now on de-caff, and quite happy with it.

I know @Brunneria 's experience was different, so hopefully she might drop in and tell you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes, I have had to give up caffeine, even the decaff versions of tea and coffee because I found they were keeping me awake and raising my blood pressure. I guess I have a food intolerance to coffee, since I don't think that it usually raises peoples' blood pressure. Mind you, how would we know? It isn't something that my doc would ever had suggested. I only found it out by getting a bp monitor and running some home tests. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Up until my early 30s I drank huge amounts of very strong black coffee from a filter machine at home and a percolator at work. I was a jittering, very skinny, nervous wreck and had no idea what made me so hyper and depressed and unable to sleep properly. On the advice of my doctor I gave up caffeine - it took two weeks of detox with a constant headache and all kinds of withdrawal symptoms but I'm so glad I did. I felt so different after giving it up - calmer, less depressed, slept deeper and for longer. Many years on and I now find myself very sensitive to caffeine. One mug of normal coffee gives me the jitters and I can't drink even decaff after lunch time if I want to sleep that night.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The first time I gave up my beloved creamy lattes and cappachinos as I got terrible bloating and exhausted. I was thinking it was the dairy, and it was, but only part of it. Then I went to just black and still messed with my stomach but not as much

I then quit coffee for three years and for some stupid reason I started in the hospital after DX.

Then I wanted to quit again as all my keurig coffees killed my stomach and energy. Then I found nespresso which is much easier on my stomach but fat from perfect. I've been drinking 3 a day to try to stay awake and get energy.

Yesterday and today I've had the crema off the top and out it in the fridge for iced late morning early afternoon. So now one a day and energy and stomach better.

So yes, stomach and depletes my energy. The opposite of what it should. I call that a reaction. Of course I just stocked up on pods haha. I'm sticking with one a day for now.

Now that I think about it it made me moody too. I remember after quitting I didn't crave a cocktail at 5 to stop the stress of the day. For me I'm sure there's no health benefits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I still drink the same amount of black coffee in the morning, four mugs before and during breakfast. I drink one mug of black tea after dinner.

I do not get the shakes and I sleep reasonably well, must be immune to the stuff. :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I still drink the same amount of black coffee in the morning, four mugs before and during breakfast. I drink one mug of black tea after dinner.

I do not get the shakes and I sleep reasonably well, must be immune to the stuff. :D
I think it's a stomach acid thing too. I know I'm low acid but seltzer is great during the day. Should be the opposite.

Hubby can drink bubbly beer all night. No burp or bloat. Me two sips and 5 burps. On the flip I can drink sparkling water all day and if he drinks any leftover flat from overnight he'll burp 5 times.