Can a vegetarian/vegan diet be a problem?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is well known - read this forum - that the advice the NHS hands out on nutrition is out dated. They put the Fear of Fat into people and it is hard to convince them otherwise. Of course it is your body and you should fill it as you want but borrowing the book MIGHT be an eye opener. The MAJORITY of members know about fat and it's benefits. Unfortunately some are still waiting to be convinced.

I'll just have to take my chances with the great uninformed then.
My blood doesn't know either, it's fine without saturated fats, but if I ever do get high cholesterol, maybe I'll try loading up the saturated fats, and see if it's convinced to come back down.
Unless of course saturated fats is also the cure for other ailments, in case I develop any without it?
Until then though, I'm fine with a diet like the op's, olive oil, fish, and other healthy fats.

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always mostly vegetarian until recently, I ate some tuna and salmon, but mostly ate veggie meals.

If I eat veggie/vegan is this bad for HBA1C. Surely if I am not diabetic it isn't a problem, Does anyone else eat veggie and not find it a problem? do you still cut carbs down? I am trying to keep my carbs at 150g a day, and fats from avocados, flax seeds and olive oil.

Hi @jingyd36 a veggie/vegan diet isn't any better or worse than a traditional meat and two veg diet, its all about balance, variety and ensuring you get all the nutrients your body needs. e.g. veggie who lives on pizza is just as unhealthy as a meat eater who lives on bacon butties :yuck:
In my own experience I found my old veggie diet was very very bad for my HbA1c, I ate porridge, lots of fruit and pasta etc. I didn't realise it at the time but even though I didn't eat refined carbs and sugars (everything was wholegrain, high fibre etc and cakes and biscuits were very very occasional treats) my diet was still high carb and had lot of sugar from fruit (average apple has about 4 teaspoons of sugar in it).
I wasn't obese (never have been) but diabetes is in family. After diagnosis I bought a meter and tested my own bodies reaction to foods, I had a shockingly high blood glucose spike after porridge, So I now follow a lower carb with healthy fat veggie diet, I also had carb flu but once I upped my healthy fats (avocado, nuts etc) I felt so much better.

If you are concerned about not becoming diabetic I would suggest lowering (not cutting out) your carb intake, making swaps such as mashed cauliflower instead of/or bulking out mashed potatoes, reducing amount of fruit and increasing low carb vegetables etc. Courgette noodles instead of pasta etc

There is a veggie low carb forum that has recipes on it f you want to have a look for some inspiration.

Reactions: 3 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jingyd36 a veggie/vegan diet isn't any better or worse than a traditional meat and two veg diet, its all about balance, variety and ensuring you get all the nutrients your body needs. e.g. veggie who lives on pizza is just as unhealthy as a meat eater who lives on bacon butties :yuck:
In my own experience I found my old veggie diet was very very bad for my HbA1c, I ate porridge, lots of fruit and pasta etc. I didn't realise it at the time but even though I didn't eat refined carbs and sugars (everything was wholegrain, high fibre etc and cakes and biscuits were very very occasional treats) my diet was still high carb and had lot of sugar from fruit (average apple has about 4 teaspoons of sugar in it).
I wasn't obese (never have been) but diabetes is in family. After diagnosis I bought a meter and tested my own bodies reaction to foods, I had a shockingly high blood glucose spike after porridge, So I now follow a lower carb with healthy fat veggie diet, I also had carb flu but once I upped my healthy fats (avocado, nuts etc) I felt so much better.

If you are concerned about not becoming diabetic I would suggest lowering (not cutting out) your carb intake, making swaps such as mashed cauliflower instead of/or bulking out mashed potatoes, reducing amount of fruit and increasing low carb vegetables etc. Courgette noodles instead of pasta etc

There is a veggie low carb forum that has recipes on it f you want to have a look for some inspiration.

Apples contain fructose and a high amount of fiber which slows down the rise in blood sugars. Equating it to 4 teaspoons of sugar isn't helpful...imo

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apples contain fructose and a high amount of fiber which slows down the rise in blood sugars. Equating it to 4 teaspoons of sugar isn't helpful...imo

Fructose is not healthy. And slowing the rise only slows the rise. It doesn't prevent it.. IMO equating it to 4 tsp of sugar would be helpful to someone who doesn't understand low carb or that all carbs turn to glucose. It would give them the knowledge that just because an apple is supposed to be healthy it will still convert to blood sugar. Apples are off my menu for just that reason.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
But why do cardiologists and doctors disagree.they tell us to cut out saturated fat. Surely people who eats burgers and fries are eating food that is a risk to their heart as it's full of
saturated fat.

I read the cholesterol myth and found some of it hard to agree with. My uncle had a massive heart attack at 51 due to high cholesterol.
Saturated fat isn't the evil it is made out to be. That myth was debunked decades ago. These people done well eating fat.

http://www.theiflife.com/the-inuit-paradox-high-fat-lower-heart-disease-and-cancer/

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know for certain saturated fat raises my cholesterol a LOT. I have no fear of fat, plant fat that is. Avocados olive oil olives nuts and seeds are a part of my every day diet. Red meat only occasionally and in small amounts. One would think we would know by now that we are all individuals and every one reacts differently. I don't doubt there are people that saturated fat has little effect but to say everyone can eat it with no ill effects is proposturous.

Reactions: 3 people

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Nobody is suggesting that the "average" person should go down that road, just pointing out that saturated fat isn't bad for you. Most diabetics know this...but some don't.

Written by a GP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Chole...d=1459505580&sr=1-1&keywords=malcolm+kendrick
I know for certain saturated fat raises my cholesterol a LOT. I have no fear of fat, plant fat that is. Avocados olive oil olives nuts and seeds are a part of my every day diet. Red meat only occasionally and in small amounts. One would think we would know by now that we are all individuals and every one reacts differently. I don't doubt there are people that saturated fat has little effect but to say everyone can eat it with no ill effects is proposturous.
I agree. It affects me terribly so I'm cutting animal fat out of my diet for health and ethical reasons. Saturated fat does effect the heart otherwise they wouldn't say burgers, fries etc.. are bad for the heart and our health.

I eat plant fat too. Avocado, flaxseeds... and olive oil.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Because we are nice, helpful people. OP is trying to prevent her hba1c rising further while coping with health anxiety (mentioned on a different thread).
Thank you. Yes I'm trying to find a way of eating that'll suit both problems i have. Hopinglis to bring down the high hba1c and cholesterol. It has caused me some anxiety going from not having any health issues to suddenly having ano underactive thyroid aswell as these 2 high results.

Thank you for your help.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Has your GP tested your B12 levels and CoQ10. The body cannot make these vitamins and vegan replacements are not too easy to come across (esp B12). The CoQ10 is required in your cells as part of the glucose processing conveyor so if you are low this may also increase your HbA1c. B12 absorbtion also requires CoQ10. Just a thought!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Truth be told too when I was eating more saturated fat it was always 100% grass fed beef or lamb, bison, pastured butter etc. it was not frying oil at a restaurant so the quality of the saturated fat made little difference..
I mostly swapped out red meats and butter/ ghee for plant fats though I still eat some lamb and burgers but again small amounts and I do love Chx thighs but always organic with all visible fat cut off. I balance the 6's with lots of omega 3 fish.

Everything in moderation...

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Thank you for the great advice.

In the morning I do have oats. I have 30g of oats with 20g flaxseed and 20g chia seeds in almond milk. My lunch I sometimes have a carb meal or in the evening. I have 1 meal a day carb free, well just a veggie meal. I do eat veggie alternatives to meat such as quorn once a day.

I do worry why I can't eat carbs at each meal if I'm not a diabetic. It's not in my family and I'm not over weight. My gp tells me not to worry as hba1c is 40 so within range but I am concerned.

I am limiting fruit. Just blueberries at breakfast and sometimes a banana first a snack. Mostly I eat vegetables. Snacks I do struggle with not eating dairy I can't have a high fat/protein snack. I find as a veggie snacks tend to be carby too.

Thank you for your help.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Has your GP tested your B12 levels and CoQ10. The body cannot make these vitamins and vegan replacements are not too easy to come across (esp B12). The CoQ10 is required in your cells as part of the glucose processing conveyor so if you are low this may also increase your HbA1c. B12 absorbtion also requires CoQ10. Just a thought!
Yes my b12 was tested last summer. It was 212. Low but gp didn't want to treat. It's now up on 500. I'm supplementing myself.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Olives, nuts , seeds , avocado/ guacaole?
I am not a fan of nuts but I have almond milk and nakd bars to try to eat some nuts occasionally.

I make homemade guacamole most days. My children love it too.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes my b12 was tested last summer. It was 212. Low but gp didn't want to treat. It's now up on 500. I'm supplementing myself.
how about CoQ10?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hav a look at the foods that give CoQ10 and make sure that you get enough. Plenty of veggies like spinach