can metformin help with depression in pcos?

B17Fan

I am suffering with depression and anxiety. I have been on sertraline for 12 weeks now but it hasn't helped a lot. I have insulin resistance and just wondered if I took metformin to treat it, would it help alleviate the depression? I think my mood problems are hormonal related because I get depressed about 8 days into my cycle. Any advice would be helpful

rebeccalong13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am suffering with depression and anxiety. I have been on sertraline for 12 weeks now but it hasn't helped a lot. I have insulin resistance and just wondered if I took metformin to treat it, would it help alleviate the depression? I think my mood problems are hormonal related because I get depressed about 8 days into my cycle. Any advice would be helpful
hey I'm type 1 and PCOS sufferer. always struggled with mental health issues which I've recently discovered was due to the pill. I have been on Metformin for 6 months almost and touch wood mental health is alot better due to a more normal hormonal cycle!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had to stop metformin due to upset tum.
I restarted it and boy I was flooded by hormones. Crying a lot and a mini period then nothing til my normal end of month period and it was less painful that a one 2 myths ago when on full metformin 2000mgs.

Yes metformin causes emotional hormones like a proper woman than a testosterone filled one from pcos. I even first thought it was the change but nope, all good again on 2000mgs metformin. Period came on time following month.
Oh so much crying on metformin disruption but tummy couldn't take it's extra pressure, nor my liver.
Excellent advice on stopping metformin in tummy bug times thou. Electrolytes reduced dramatically if sickness and diarrhea bout. I drink plenty of water then return to metformin once no longer being sick or loose.
Once every few months for me with very young kids passing on germs.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have never read that Metformin helps Depression nor has it helped mine.