1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cannabis and diabetes

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Colinsryder, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Colinsryder

Colinsryder · Newbie

We have been considering using cannabis in cooking to help with various conditions that my wife and I have. These include diabetes type 2, FMS, CIDP and arthritis.

2. MH2010

MH2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Colinsryder be careful if using cannabis in any form as it can raise your blood sugar levels by quite a lot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Modern cultivation of cannabis uses carbohydrates (mainly molasses or honey) to increase the yield. This is especially so for hydroponic cultivation. Googling carbs in cannabis will give loads of info, but I could not find specific carb count /100 gms. I wonder why?

• Like Like x 9
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suppose you could treat it like a veggie stock cube?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It has also known to cause a certain amount of increased appetite (munchies anyone?:p) so use with caution if struggling with over/binge eating - have plenty of sugar free drinks to hand.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. isotsha

isotsha · Member

Any luck with the cannabis Colin?

7. isotsha

isotsha · Member

MH, have you tried using cannabis. I heard it is not as effective for T! as it is for T2.

8. MH2010

MH2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, but my brother likes smoking it.

9. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Expert

I'm all for medical use of cannabis for pain but I don't encourage recreational use. :)

10. Jkeydj420

Jkeydj420 Type 1 · Newbie

I am a type 1 since age 1 (now 28) I have used cannabis recreationally in the past but now I use it more so for cooking... I find it helps tame my irratic blood sugar levels, makes me feel better and less sluggish, more clear headed and helps with my pain which is due to neuropathy.. Smoking it doesn't give the same effect as when it's ingested from a properly prepared from decarboxylated bud - cannabutter...

11. Brit90

Brit90 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

One thing people need to remember is that the THC is not what you need. Cannibinoids are the phytonutrients you need. Smoking it - won't help you in the long term, just for the pain.
    The oil you can get from it is very good for helping your body - There are many websites people explaining and using cannabis oil to fix problems. Cannibinoids are the super vitamin :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bobby123

Bobby123 Type 1 · Member

CBD oil or cbd crystals are very good for anxiety relief and relaxation. CBD makes you become more tolerant to things that usually annoy you. I am type 1 with tinnitus. Tinnitus does not bother me anymore. And all the daily blood checking and insulin injections, careful carbohydrate counting etc., become more tolerable. So I think that CBD also helps with the HBA1C. Now as for the total entourage of cannabis ie THC, CBD, CBN etc, I don`t recommend any type 1 to take the full marijuana entourage unless one finds the proper strain. The strain should have high levels of CBD and THCV. If possible no THC or at least very low % of THC. I have tried a strain with high THC. Do not do it.

13. Deespee23

Deespee23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't bogart that joint, my friend......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bobby123

Bobby123 Type 1 · Member

Deespee23, tell us about your experience with the joint in relation to diabetes.

15. Deespee23

Deespee23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just an old song from Country Joe.....but I hear that Fish is good for LCHF dieters. ..;)

• Creative Creative x 1
    #15 Deespee23, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  16. SugarBuzz

SugarBuzz Type 1 · Active Member

Come on Bobby! We're more interested in what happened when you ' tried a strain with high THC' and why you 'advise us not to do it'.

Don't be all kiss and no tell. Spit it out. . . .

17. gavin86

gavin86 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I haven't read any studies, but have to say the biggest issue I can think of, is a bit of a buzz actually feels similar to a hypo. Could mask effects. Also as mentioned above, anything that makes you sleepy runs a risk. I guess munchies could be a problem. A big problem.

Carbs in cannabis may be a thing, but given the total "dose" is usually less than 1g, you won't be getting much unless you're cooking with stems and leaves.
    I did a lot of illicit things in my youth (long time ago now... ). When I had my first (and only so far) sub 3 hypo, it made my body feel very similar to somewhere between cannabis and MDMA... except my mind was less "whoa I feel great" and more "ohshit I don't feel right".

• Like Like x 3
  18. MartinGil

MartinGil Type 2 · Newbie

Instead of cooking, smoking or vaping with marijuana, making tea with it is a safer option in my view. .25 gram brewed with coconut oil to one cup of water. It is easier to gauge the exact amount and you are less likely to 'overdose'. I have found has lowered and stabilised my blood sugar readings. They are approx 20% lower than without cannabis. I do get the munchies yet my weight is a little less than it was before. So for me it is all good and the little bit of 'feel good' can do no harm at all. Another positive is that my blood pressure has dropped to an excellent level. So for me all good news.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook