Can't be bothered anymore..

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Type 1 for 23 years and many of those were ***!!!!!!! However things have improved a huge amount with gym (weights and cardio) every 2nd day and cycling most days. It's hard work but the benefits are there in terms of less insulin and a more positive outlook. DAFNE has also helped a huge amount in fine tuning of my daily management, if you don't know what DAFNE let me know. David

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No your not the only one, sometimes it takes you into a downward spiral that is hard to get away from. Positives seem a mile away. People can become annoying saying you'll get over it etc, well today I don't feel like that. But you know you get down so you can appreciate the good times
It maybe you need to speak to your GP maybe a change of meds, Remember there is always someone hear to listen, who knows that feeling. Do you look at the jokes and humour section on here, there is a few bits on there that can bring a bit of cheer up.
Anyway your are def not alone
I wanted to give up too, diabetes is really tough to control :( i'm so glad that there are others who feel the same

Tjtommy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cant figure out how to start a post on here but im pretty much in the same boat of feeling like i cant win and have no support. For years i had given up. I was drinking loads, at uni, working behind a bar. I feel as though i may aswell do what i want cause no matter how hard i try my control doesnt get any better. I came back from uni and decided to try and get it under control so started carb counting which worked for a bit but recently thats not been working. I'll count the carbs properly and no matter how much i inject end up with high sugars. Dont know what to do anymore, feel like the insulins not working and the future doesnt look bright. My family dont even try to understand my situation or its consequences

There can be so many reasons to be high. It can be background insulin if your on multiple injections. It can be absorbtion issue if you inject in the same area. It could be stress it can be ratio issue. Rebound from hypos can cause highs through adrenalin. It you can see u doctor to get in touch with your diabetes team they can get you a CGM which will monitor your levels over 3 day period so you can make ajustmenets. Good luck getting appointments. Hope you get better!

Nick Loakes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yeah I think everyone falls off the wagon at some point and a G.P or I think theres diabetic psychological wellbeing services these days, it is a hard battle im 33 and have had the condition 31 years since the age of 2.

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
Please don't feel down. I have had my moments of thinking why me. But after having Type 1 for 48 years it does' bother me any more. I live life to the full have 3 healthy gorgeous sons. I work full time and have a gorgeous Grandaughter. I have 4 injections daily, take 4 antidepressents daily due to having clinical depression and I feel so lucky that my Diabetes was caught in time at the age of 6 after being ill from birth. Now they have Diabetic Groups, online chats about the condition. You need to have a chat with someone who you can tell exactly how you are feeling. With young people like yourself you need to see someone soon. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 9 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's a difficult condition to manage and requires us to be disciplined in the choices we make, I notice. Your mostly young and can relate to you when I was your ages (a long time ago) I felt the same, what's the point, didn't test much although it was only a urine test back then which went blue for no sugar Orange for lots of sugar so not very accurate, I decided that diabetes wouldn't beat me and manage it as well as possible, I've had this monkey on my back for 48 years but I have enjoyed my life having children and grandchildren and still working as a plasterer, I am very excited about the advances in a cure for type 1, so please keep yourselves well until the day comes when we are cured, take care.

Reactions: 9 people

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, it really helps to hear from perspectives of people with more life experience with it. Was in a bit of a rut with it but im learning to be at peace with my condition for the time being. Wanted to see how often you guys check your sugar a day if possible? I've been told im over using the strips and personally disagree but wanted some perspective?

Reactions: 4 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've not long started the pump so testing at least 7 times a day more when I do a set change, asked my doctors for more but they refused unroll I gave them a letter from the hospital consultant.

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been waiting for months for an appointment as I'd like to have the pump. Over injecting in my thighs have given me noticible bumps at the front of each and im using my stomach but am terrified of the same thing. As a young girl it would devistate me regardless of how trivial that may seem. What's your experience with the pump? And i check my sugars 6-8 times a day but hypos come out of nowhere and i work nights on my feet all the time so feel it neccessary. My doctors seem to be having a real issue with it

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I've been waiting for months for an appointment as I'd like to have the pump. Over injecting in my thighs have given me noticible bumps at the front of each and im using my stomach but am terrified of the same thing. As a young girl it would devistate me regardless of how trivial that may seem. What's your experience with the pump? And i check my sugars 6-8 times a day but hypos come out of nowhere and i work nights on my feet all the time so feel it neccessary. My doctors seem to be having a real issue with it
you keep testing as often as you need and tell your doctor to eff off ( politely )
ask him if he would drive his car without a speedometer !
I used to test about 8 times a day on MDI but since I have started on a pump about 3 weeks ago have been testing about 14 times per day,
And it has been a lifeline because the pump is determining any correction bolus doses so if I wasn't testing my bloods would be higher than they are -- you stick to your guns young lady :)

Reactions: 4 people

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha had a little chuckle at this I've definetely been checking a normal amount by the sounds of it then. where do they usually have you attach the pump out of interest?

Thanks for the confirmation in what im doing and glad your experience with the pump is onto a good start! ☺

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i am wearing an omnipod -- check out youtube for loads of peeps putting them in all places --- i have had on my stomach and arm so far but shall be trialling thigh and upper backside over the next few weeks

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll definitely check it out! Don't know a ton about it right now but hopefully i can discuss at my appointment. Hope all continues to go well

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was a bit worried about starting the pump but I was getting a lot of night time lows, so I decided to give it a try and they said if I didn't get on with it I could always go back to normal MDI, started using it around 2 months ago and so far I've been impressed, 84% of tests in the 4 to 8 range with the others only just outside of the range, it is a bit more work such as reducing the basal rate when I'm working, the handset test your blood glucose level and you enter the carbs and press for your insulin, I was concerned about being connected 24/7 but to be honest I hardly notice it

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have felt like this for a good while now, I seem to get a "kick start" in my attitude towards it all whenever I go for my routine checkup. However that doesn't last and it isn't long until I'm all doom & gloom again. So no you aren't the only one :( One thing that helps for me is just to take a nice walk, clear your head, put some music on and just let all your worries disappear for a while. Or as other people have mentioned there's always someone to turn to for support and guidance should you need it, I was only diagnosed 3 years ago and my Mother has been my rock through it all :)

Hope things get better for you, there's always positives, just gotta try your hardest to find 'em ;)

Good luck love.

naomi96___

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i literally get like this ALL the time, i hate it! i just get tired of doing blood tests/ feeling high or low/ injecting etc and just want to ignore it and forget about it! You're definitely not alone, i think sometimes it is important to have some 'normal' time- sometimes i have a day off blood testing just to give me some time away from it.
Hope you're okay
diabetes sucks, lets just hope there is a cure soon! x

rubik101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fat!
This post was deleted by a moderator - inappropriate medical advice

Last edited by a moderator:

rubik101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fat!
I have been diabetic for 17 years now, and I have had a few tough times too. A few months ago I was struggling, I would have random highs of 20 at lunch when j hadn't done anything to warrant it. I have an amazing diabetes care team, we worked together to realise it was my background insulin that wasnt carrying me through enough, although my overall hba1c was good I was having spikes and it felt so frustrating. The levemir insulin had worked for me for years, but wasn't working as well anymore. I think I felt it more this time because I was trying to exercise and the balancing act was just too extreme! I would cut my insulin because of a low and it would go too high!! It was only a short period but I felt things getting worse not better!

I am now on a different insulin and I am going on the pump in February( this is for different reasons and me and my partner would like to try for another child) but my point is things can look so so bleak at times and I know u say u have a fab support network, use them. There are ways round things and there is light at the end of the tunnel, don't struggle along, speak to your care team and see what they suggest. Even 17 years into being diabetic we have our ups and downs and things need changing, don't give up! good luck, message me any time x x

This post has been deleted by a moderator - inappropriate medical advice

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
This post has been deleted by a moderator - inappropriate medical advice

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This post has been deleted by a moderator as it referred to earlier deleted posts.