Can't prick my own finger

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just can't. I don't know why. I certainly have had my share of pain over the years. I couldn't even let my husband do it. I followed all the hints for a less-painful test, but still couldn't press that button. I got myself all worked up and nervous, wasted a test strip and have no reading. :(

I am NOT good with pain, at all. Any other tips to make this easier? Do you ever really get used to it?

Thanks. Feeling like a major loser at the moment.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just can't. I don't know why. I certainly have had my share of pain over the years. I couldn't even let my husband do it. I followed all the hints for a less-painful test, but still couldn't press that button. I got myself all worked up and nervous, wasted a test strip and have no reading. :(

I am NOT good with pain, at all. Any other tips to make this easier? Do you ever really get used to it?

Set it on about 3/4.
Don't look, watch telly, let your husband do it.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It does depend a bit on the brand of lancet. There has been previous discussion on this on the forums. I use One Touch and they are not the best. I'm about to move over to MyPura ones as my surgery now uses that meter and I'm told they are finer and less painful?

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Fallgal, it's actually the thought of doing it that's worse. It's really not too bad. I liken it to queuing up for a fun fair ride. Hate the queue but the ride is usually ok ! I won't lie and say it's completely pain free but it is something you get used to ! Maybe have a little glass of wine first ? Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It took me ages to prick mine, every time I thought about it, I stopped. My lancet is on 1, do it just pluck up the courage. First time is the hardest. Don't you just feel a wus! Especially after having kids etc.

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the biggest softy in the world but I got used to it. You will too. I'm guessing you're using the side of your finger tip rather than the middle? I use different lancets, some are better than others. Perhaps the least painful is the one that is built into the Accu Check Mobile meter, set it to number 1 or 2.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The accu chek aviva multiclix is worth buying the meter for I use the codefree meter but the lancets are barbaric I :eek:am the bigest coward on the planet
CAROL

Reactions: 6 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for your replies. I still haven't gotten up the courage. :( Maybe tomorrow I will be more brave. I have it set on 1, and plan to use the side of my finger. I told hubby that I had to read ALL of the enclosed paperwork, just to be thorough, ya know, before I do it. ;)

Reactions: 5 people

dixonjulie

I'm a real wimp so if I can do it, you can do. Funny enough I find the easiest place to prick my finger is in the middle of my pinky! The smallest finger but since you don't really use that finger I find there is less pain. Good luck :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you use an alternate test site? (probably not if you are on insulin). I test using my forearm - totally pain free, don't feel a thing usually. Just make sure your meter permits alternate site testing.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the pricker that came with my Glucomen meter. It has a number of depth and force settings. I use it on the lowest of both settings as that's all I need. Having used it now for eight months, I wouldn't want to change. I no longer use the Glucomen meter as the strips were too expensive, but I have kept the pricker.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Use a ticking clock to help you - y'know, tell yourself you'll press it on the third tick, shut your eyes, listen to the clock, and PRESS. The thought of it is so much worse than the actual doing. If you have a new lancet in and you put it on the lowest setting to start with (unless you know you have tough skin), it won't hurt.

I know it's really difficult - I got to be like this with injections, just couldn't make myself push the needle in (and it was really really tiny) which is one of the reasons I managed to get a pump. It was all psychological, but even now I often have to shut my eyes to do a finger prick. You'll get the hang of it after you've done it a few times.

Good luck!!

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Just did my very first glucometer test a few minutes ago and the lancing was barely felt. I kept in on the most shallow depth, Level 1. I think what gave me "courage" with this was that I've known a few people who used this method of daily testing BG and they said that once you get used to it its just a daily routine like brushing your teeth. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just did my very first glucometer test a few minutes ago and the lancing was barely felt. I kept in on the most shallow depth, Level 1. I think what gave me "courage" with this was that I've known a few people who used this method of daily testing BG and they said that once you get used to it its just a daily routine like brushing your teeth. Good luck!
You do get used to it. A few weeks ago it was a big deal but it soon becomes second nature. Today for instance I was in River Island looking at new jackets and I felt a bit odd so as I was walking around I got my accucheck mobile out and tested on the shop floor without thinking. Nobody batted an eye.

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
You do get used to it. A few weeks ago it was a big deal but it soon becomes second nature. Today for instance I was in River Island looking at new jackets and I felt a bit odd so as I was walking around I got my accucheck mobile out and tested on the shop floor without thinking. Nobody batted an eye.
:p In todays world you could get picked up for terrorism while doing something like that in public! Glad nobody batted an eye.
I'm expecting to get into the routine very quickly now that the initial first step is over.
Hope it doesn't become a "thing", like I start placing bets against myself as to how low, or, high the BG reading will be. :rolleyes:

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:p In todays world you could get picked up for terrorism while doing something like that in public! Glad nobody batted an eye.
I'm expecting to get into the routine very quickly now that the initial first step is over.
Hope it doesn't become a "thing", like I start placing bets against myself as to how low, or, high the BG reading will be. :rolleyes:
I know, I decided not to make it a private thing, for the first few days I'd lock myself away when testing or injecting. I don't now. I test or inject wherever I happen to be, In the middle of the city centre, in a restaurant or even when with clients. Most of them are my friends now and know that I'm newly diagnosed type1. Everyone is fine with it.

I guarantee it will become a "thing" I think that's a good thing. We're in it for the long haul so I think it's perfectly normal that we treat it like a game almost. You can see people publicise their hbA1c results in their signatures. That's because in the world that we now find ourselves it's an achievement. Never again will you need to play Farmville on Facebook. You have your own Blood Glucose game going on in real life. Learn to enjoy it. When linked to carb counting it's actually quite fun. Nothing better than going to bed at 5.3 and getting up at 5.3 :)

Reactions: 8 people

Andrew26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I was exactly like that to begin with. My heart would start racing and I'd start sweating with the anticipation. Ridiculous really! I'll happily join you in the "major loser" camp!

What I've been doing is to just push the lancet into my finger using the other hand. I find different areas on my finger require a different depth and with a bit of practice you can learn exactly how deep to push it before being able to squeeze some blood out. Pushing it in slowly means that you can learn what it feels like to know you have pushed in far enough. Doing it this way makes me feel much more in control, and I don't dread it at all. It also stings far less in my experience. I also noticed that my self-punctured marks seem to heal up much faster, presumably as I don't go to such a depth.

Anyone else do this?

I tend to focus on the side of the finger, or else grip my fingers and notice where the skin goes red quickly, and focus on that area. A tiny scratch above your finger nails also produces loads of blood, although you obviously have to be really careful around your nails. I definitely don't do finger tips as that is way too sensitive.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Though I'm not diabetic, I've had to test my blood on a few occasions and have had the chance to use a few different lancing devices. I think the kindest one on my fingers has been the OneTouch Delica :)