Carb flu - how to get past it?

alangarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nosey Bossy people
When someone is prescribed Gliclazide, they are able to get a free meter, lancets & test strips. Speak with your GP or DNS & request that the amount of test strips you are prescribed per month is increased. If you explain that you need to test regularly right now to self monitor & manage your erratic blood glucose levels, then you're more likely to be given the extra. Also, if you're a driver, you should be testing before heading off on your journey.....again, this is because of your Gliclazide. As you gain better control of your BG, you're likely to need to test less frequently. So, you can throw that into the conversation too. I wish you well. You're doing amazing with the weight loss. You should be chuffed. X
WP_20150908_002.jpg

That was my lunch today, it looks big, but it's on a side plate, reducing your plate size helps, later I my have an apple before evening meal tonight which we eat at most times around 18.30 just keep watching your carbs, keep reading the ingredients.
This huge big Family on here will help they are amazing, I will have been diagnosed a week from Thursday 10th and my numbers have come right down, my feeling of being confused and scared have been eased by my new family.

Reactions: 8 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Akindrat81 weaning yourself off things that you KNOW you shouldn't be eating is doing you no favours, just prolonging the high blood sugars.

Kebabs from a good kebab shop should be OK providing that you don't eat the pitta, have salad, and don't add sauces unless you're sure they are low in carbs. My local kebab shop does chicken kebabs using grilled chicken, peppers and mushrooms which look rather good. Their vinaigrette for salads is literally olive oil and lemon juice.

Many food places have nutritional info on their websites now. You could look them up, choose the least carby options, and make a list for your smartphone. That way, if you're hungry and walking past one of them, you can go straight in and order the healthiest things, without getting distracted by menu or photos. No buns, fries, ice cream, milkshakes.

If you go to the cinema, go for peanuts because even though they are carby, they aren't as bad as popcorn but if the cinema has pork scratchings, even better than peanuts.

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kebab meat in the UK has a lot of rusk as filler.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Kebab meat in the UK has a lot of rusk as filler.

Chicken kebab only uses chicken breast fillets which are chargrilled. No rusk, no nothing...just meat. And, it's quick, delicious & gives you a night off from cooking.

Reactions: 6 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Akindrat18 I've just been told I no longer have fatty liver. I'm eating saturated and unsaturated fat. Lchf is working for me. I now weight 123.45kgs and for a girl thats heavy. Since last tuesday I've lost 1.15kgs. I'm so happy and excited. Where will this lchf diet take me?... well worth stopping the rubbish in my diet and replacing it with fat (double cream and butter in my coffees, cheese - most cheeses, fatty meats including bacon, beef burgers and seafood, fish of most kinds. BUT NO BREAD, POTATO/OR CHIPS AND DEFINITELY NO CAKES/BISCUITS.
It seems odd but it will fill you up. It's great knowing I can have pork scratchings and double cream and have a health liver.

That's great news! I am still unsure about adding cream or butter to coffee as I prefer semi skimmed milk and drink 250ml at morning and at night. I can do without the bread, crisps, cakes, biscuit and chocolate. I've just been to Lidl and bought a lchp bread roll which i'm going to try tomorrow. I also picked up some cauliflower and broccoli gratins with 7.9 grams of carbs per one and had one with a minted lamb chop, kale and carrots and peas.

Akindrat81 weaning yourself off things that you KNOW you shouldn't be eating is doing you no favours, just prolonging the high blood sugars.

Kebabs from a good kebab shop should be OK providing that you don't eat the pitta, have salad, and don't add sauces unless you're sure they are low in carbs. My local kebab shop does chicken kebabs using grilled chicken, peppers and mushrooms which look rather good. Their vinaigrette for salads is literally olive oil and lemon juice.

Many food places have nutritional info on their websites now. You could look them up, choose the least carby options, and make a list for your smartphone. That way, if you're hungry and walking past one of them, you can go straight in and order the healthiest things, without getting distracted by menu or photos. No buns, fries, ice cream, milkshakes.

If you go to the cinema, go for peanuts because even though they are carby, they aren't as bad as popcorn but if the cinema has pork scratchings, even better than peanuts.

I can't just stop eating carbs cold turkey, but weaning myself off them is helping. my blood sugars are still high and have got a medication review tomorrow morning with a diabetes nurse. I hardly have kebabs and have never been in a kebab shop, also I hardly go to a cinema or buy food served their.

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Reactions: 8 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Akindrat18 your doing good. Rome wasn't built in a day.
My eating regime is very basic and I feel abit embarrassed posting on what I've eaten as I feel I might look simple. That is just it with me I like simple food. I'm not very creative in the kitchen. I guess we are all learning as we go along and share what knowledge we do have on. This time next week you'll feel more confident with your new eating patterns and cream. Double cream sounds very naughty but it might have been what converted my fatty liver to a non-fatty liver. Whatever I've eat or not eaten it's gone. I just need to keep it that way. I'm hoping this time next year I'm lighter and fitter with good sugar control too.
It's right what they say it is a combination of a little or alot of exercise, food and medication to fight this thing. All 3 are important but I'm putting my life in order after being reckless after a stricked regime whilst pregnant and using insulin to counteract the carbs.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's great news! I am still unsure about adding cream or butter to coffee as I prefer semi skimmed milk and drink 250ml at morning and at night. I can do without the bread, crisps, cakes, biscuit and chocolate. I've just been to Lidl and bought a lchp bread roll which i'm going to try tomorrow. I also picked up some cauliflower and broccoli gratins with 7.9 grams of carbs per one and had one with a minted lamb chop, kale and carrots and peas.

I can't just stop eating carbs cold turkey, but weaning myself off them is helping. my blood sugars are still high and have got a medication review tomorrow morning with a diabetes nurse. I hardly have kebabs and have never been in a kebab shop, also I hardly go to a cinema or buy food served their.

• Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
  • Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
  • Very low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs
image.jpg

image.jpg

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Semi skimmed milk contains 10g of sugar per 200ml. You're drinking 500ml per day, so that's 25g of sugar right there before we start counting anything else.

Can you tell us more about this weaning process? What's the timescale for coming off the carbs?

Reactions: 4 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Kebab meat it sounds so good to eat, not lol,
That report just put me off, will stick with the chicken with plenty of salads and a small amount of mayo

Yay!! We all agree...Donner meat is ****! Lol. Never liked the **** stuff. Always liked my local takeaway shops chicken kebab though. They make it with so much chicken breast, that I half the portion & eat it cold the following day. Yummy. Oh, by the way hun...on an LCHF diet, you can eat as much Mayo as you like within your personal calorie framework. Full fat Mayo has no carbohydrate. Hellmanns Real Mayonnaise is perfect. Here's a link. http://www.hellmanns.com/product/detail/97847/real-mayonnaise The nutritional information is below. It's all a sharp learning curve, huh?! ;)

HELLMANNS REAL MAYONNAISE.
NutritionFacts
Amount Per Serving
Calories 90
Calories From Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat10g 15%
Saturated Fat1.5g 8%
Trans Fat0gi
Polyunsaturated Fat6g
Monounsaturated Fat2.5g
Cholesterol5mg 2%
Sodium90mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate0g 0%
Dietary Fiber0g
Sugars0g
Protein0g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Last edited by a moderator:

alangarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nosey Bossy people
Yay!! We all agree...Donner meat is ****! Lol. Never liked the **** stuff. Always liked my local takeaway shops chicken kebab though. They make it with so much chicken breast, that I half the portion & eat it cold the following day. Yummy. Oh, by the way hun...on an LCHF diet, you can eat as much Mayo as you like within your personal calorie framework. Full fat Mayo has no carbohydrate. Hellmams Real Mayonnaise is perfect. Here's a link. http://www.hellmanns.com/product/detail/97847/real-mayonnaise The nutritional information is below. It's all a sharp learning curve, huh?! ;)

HELLMANS REAL MAYONNAISE.
NutritionFacts
Amount Per Serving
Calories 90
Calories From Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat10g 15%
Saturated Fat1.5g 8%
Trans Fat0gi
Polyunsaturated Fat6g
Monounsaturated Fat2.5g
Cholesterol5mg 2%
Sodium90mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate0g 0%
Dietary Fiber0g
Sugars0g
Protein0g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Levels on 03/09/15, 8.7
04/09/15, 8.0
05/09/15, before food 9.3, after 8.6
06/09/15, before breakfast, 9.7, then before lunch 7.2, then after lunch 7.7
07/09/15, before evening meal, 6.7
08/09/15, before breakfast, 8.2, after lunch 6.9, after evening meal 5.7

Got that book count your carbs and calories, its fab.
I think I'm losing weight to fast, I've lost just under half a stone in a week.
Thanks for all your info and help,
x

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Levels on 03/09/15, 8.7
04/09/15, 8.0
05/09/15, before food 9.3, after 8.6
06/09/15, before breakfast, 9.7, then before lunch 7.2, then after lunch 7.7
07/09/15, before evening meal, 6.7
08/09/15, before breakfast, 8.2, after lunch 6.9, after evening meal 5.7

Got that book count your carbs and calories, its fab.
I think I'm losing weight to fast, I've lost just under half a stone in a week.
Thanks for all your info and help,
x

Gonna PM you hun, rather than derail this thread any further for the OP. But WOW!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The reason you would feel unwell if you came off carbs cold turkey is that you are not adding back enough fat. Because you still think cream and butter and full fat options are bad for you. Which they're not. We have said this many times.

If you followed our LCHF recommendations (to the letter) you would likely feel unwell for about 4 days then you would likely feel absolutely brilliant, provided you stuck to the recommendations. I recently went through this and it wasn't that bad.

By slowly weaning off carbs and not adding in a small/moderate amount of fats, you are making it hard for yourself. You're getting the downsides of feeling unwell without any of the benefits of low carbing.

Have you thought any more about moving in with your nan? She seems to be able to provide you with an optimal environment for making sustainable changes. You could even do it for say 3 months and then reconsider where you want to live.

I know you love your parents and that's great. But you can still have a good relationship with them if you live somewhere else.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason you would feel unwell if you came off carbs cold turkey is that you are not adding back enough fat. Because you still think cream and butter and full fat options are bad for you. Which they're not. We have said this many times.

If you followed our LCHF recommendations (to the letter) you would likely feel unwell for about 4 days then you would likely feel absolutely brilliant, provided you stuck to the recommendations. I recently went through this and it wasn't that bad.

By slowly weaning off carbs and not adding in a small/moderate amount of fats, you are making it hard for yourself. You're getting the downsides of feeling unwell without any of the benefits of low carbing.

Have you thought any more about moving in with your nan? She seems to be able to provide you with an optimal environment for making sustainable changes. You could even do it for say 3 months and then reconsider where you want to live.

I know you love your parents and that's great. But you can still have a good relationship with them if you live somewhere else.

I have thought about moving in with my nan and I'm going to ask her about it tomorrow after my medication review at 10am this morning. I still fear some fats as my triglyceride levels have increased, along with my ldl levels. I am nervous about what to say tomorrow to my diabetes nurse as this will be the first time seeing one since February. Also I am confused on what to ask the nurse of what insulin regimen I should be on as their are so many different types that I've researched: basal/bolus, daily or twice daily injections, an insulin inhaler (afrezza).

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have thought about moving in with my nan and I'm going to ask her about it tomorrow after my medication review at 10am this morning. I still fear some fats as my triglyceride levels have increased, along with my ldl levels. I am nervous about what to say tomorrow to my diabetes nurse as this will be the first time seeing one since February. Also I am confused on what to ask the nurse of what insulin regimen I should be on as their are so many different types that I've researched: basal/bolus, daily or twice daily injections, an insulin inhaler (afrezza).
I don't know anything about the insulin inhaler, but to my knowledge there are only 2 main regimens: basal/bolus, or just basal (or a mixed insulin) (either once or twice daily). I strongly favour basal/bolus and would ask for that option if I needed insulin myself.

Sorry if I've shared this link earlier, I can't remember if I have. It explains why basal/bolus is considered better for T2s, especially those that are concerned about possible weight gain:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

Here's one option regarding fats that you could try, as an experiment. You could get your lipid levels tested now, then try a LCHF diet for 3 months, and then get your lipids tested again. It would be interesting to see if they had gone up, down, or stayed the same. I've read numerous examples on the forum of people who have done this and found their triglycerides and LDL levels went down.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Here is some info about the inhaled insulin. Being new, it might be too expensive for your nurse or GP to want to provide for you. But if you think it could help, there's no harm in asking.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/42243240.php

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I've been on LCHF for less than 2 months, and my triglycerides have gone down by over 60%. High fat does the job. Your trigs have increased most probably because of all the carbs you're still eating.

Reactions: 5 people