change in diet

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I find it really strange that for years iv been told to eat low fat foods in order to loose weight! But now I'm allowed to eat tahini ,cheese, oil, full fat yoghurt etc and wondering how I can still loose weight eating these foods?

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find it really strange that for years iv been told to eat low fat foods in order to loose weight! But now I'm allowed to eat tahini ,cheese, oil, full fat yoghurt etc and wondering how I can still loose weight eating these foods?

It's one of the reasons why this forum and web site exists!

If you want to know the science then you will have to Google it!

However, full fat makes you less hungry longer and is really slow to digest, therefore your blood glucose levels go up slower and don't spike as high.'
Because you eat less carbs, your energy has to come from your muscle fat rather than the carbs! Natural fats are better for you than polyunsaturated fats!

Low fat or no fat foods usually have the good fats taken out and replaced by production sugars just like all processed foods, these do you no good whatsoever as a prediabetic or diabetic!

What we have been recommended to eat for decades has been good advice if you are healthy.
If you are diabetic, then by the advice from actual diabetics who have had huge success by low carbing and having full fat is the diet to follow to get consistently normal blood glucose levels.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 10 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's one of the reasons why this forum and web site exists!

If you want to know the science then you will have to Google it!

However, full fat makes you less hungry longer and is really slow to digest, therefore your blood glucose levels go up slower and don't spike as high.'
Because you eat less carbs, your energy has to come from your muscle fat rather than the carbs! Natural fats are better for you than polyunsaturated fats!

Low fat or no fat foods usually have the good fats taken out and replaced by production sugars just like all processed foods, these do you no good whatsoever as a prediabetic or diabetic!

What we have been recommended to eat for decades has been good advice if you are healthy.
If you are diabetic, then by the advice from actual diabetics who have had huge success by low carbing and having full fat is the diet to follow to get consistently normal blood glucose levels.

Hope this helps!
Ah right, feels like I'm being really naughty! Lovin it, have to say iv not been that hungry and not missing the spuds etc, although its early days.

Reactions: 11 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you keep your positive attitude, and perhaps try to look for suitable alternatives if needs be, e.g mashed cauliflower instead of the potatoes, or nutty flours like coconut, sesame seed, or ground almonds for baking, you should continue doing well.

Robbity

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah right, feels like I'm being really naughty! Lovin it, have to say iv not been that hungry and not missing the spuds etc, although its early days.
The longer you low carb, the less you want them! There is a thing called carb flu, which is similar to carb cravings or like cold turkey, once you're past that phase, things improve accordingly!
I just don't miss them! Any of them!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Stick at it... Heap your plate with good amounts of meat, fish, veg or salad, berries and nuts and you won't look back or be hungry. If you have had pasta before consider getting a spiraliser and having spiralised courgettes as an alternative.. They are delicious.

The less processed foodsthe better. Thats my advice.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The longer you low carb, the less you want them! There is a thing called carb flu, which is similar to carb cravings or like cold turkey, once you're past that phase, things improve accordingly!
I just don't miss them! Any of them!
Thanks guys, going for my first appointment with nurse on Wednesday know a bit more of what to expect now, still conflicting reading on the net for some foods ie tomatoes are they ok 2 eat freely? And what's the best dressing to put on salad apart from mayo?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loads of olive oil dressing with white or red wine vinegar, 1/3 wine vinegar, 2/3rds olive oil with meditereanean herbs, teaspoon of lazy garlic, 2/3?teaspoon of mustatard, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme added is my daily lashings over my salads.. I have horrendous amounts poured over my salads!! I lick the plates after!
I'm type 1 so can have as many tomatoes I like and I have about 10 cherry ones a day in my salad with an avocado and now about 8 olives as well.

I base my lifestyle on meditereanean foods rather than heavier creams n cheese. Although I do have goat or sheep feta cheese.. Not cheddars or hard cheeses or even bries...

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Don't overdo tomatoes, especially ripe ones in my experience, although I have them most days with cooked breakfast and/or salad lunch. As for dressing, there are some good classic French dressings around at about 5g per 100 (Farrington's for example), or just make your own.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loads of olive oil dressing with white or red wine vinegar, 1/3 wine vinegar, 2/3rds olive oil with meditereanean herbs, teaspoon of lazy garlic, 2/3?teaspoon of mustatard, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme added is my daily lashings over my salads.. I have horrendous amounts poured over my salads!! I lick the plates after!
I'm type 1 so can have as many tomatoes I like and I have about 10 cherry ones a day in my salad with an avocado and now about 8 olives as well.

I base my lifestyle on meditereanean foods rather than heavier creams n cheese. Although I do have goat or sheep feta cheese.. Not cheddars or hard cheeses or even bries...
Dressing sounds fab cant wait to try that many thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I used to add honey but it really doesn't need it. Folk on here were right when they said its unecessary. I buy dried meditereanean herbs and add in a big teaspoon and herbs really that I can cut from gardens...

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Agree with all the info above. I think one reason the experts recommended reducing fat in the past was that it is more calorie-dense than carbs and protein. The focus was on restricting calories, regardless of whether they were fat, protein, or carbs. With more information these days, many experts now agree that LCHF works really well for people trying to reduce weight and blood glucose.

For breakfast, there is nothing I enjoy more than scrambled eggs, bacon, high-meat content sausages and portobello mushrooms. Yum! I used to add in baked beans, toast and tomatoes, but I don't really miss them.

For a quick breakfast I have full fat greek yoghurt, which is also yum!

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree with all the info above. I think one reason the experts recommended reducing fat in the past was that it is more calorie-dense than carbs and protein. The focus was on restricting calories, regardless of whether they were fat, protein, or carbs. With more information these days, many experts now agree that LCHF works really well for people trying to reduce weight and blood glucose.

For breakfast, there is nothing I enjoy more than scrambled eggs, bacon, high-meat content sausages and portobello mushrooms. Yum! I used to add in baked beans, toast and tomatoes, but I don't really miss them.

For a quick breakfast I have full fat greek yoghurt, which is also yum!
I thought tomatoes were ok to have? Also is celery ok?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Tomatoes are sort of ok. If you are being super strict about it, then you would want to avoid them. But they are not really that bad. People use the home blood glucose testing, before eating, then 2 hours after eating, to see if a certain food spikes their blood glucose. If someone finds that tomatoes do that, they might want to avoid them. If someone else finds they dont spike it too much, then they can eat them.

Celery is ok I think. Sweetcorn is not low carb, same with potatoes, yams, etc. generally if a vegetable grows above ground, such as brocolli, cauliflower, spinach, it is ok. I'm probably not the best person to advise on this as my own testing and low carbing experience is not that great. There are threads where this stuff is covered in more detail.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tomatoes are sort of ok. If you are being super strict about it, then you would want to avoid them. But they are not really that bad. People use the home blood glucose testing, before eating, then 2 hours after eating, to see if a certain food spikes their blood glucose. If someone finds that tomatoes do that, they might want to avoid them. If someone else finds they dont spike it too much, then they can eat them.

Celery is ok I think. Sweetcorn is not low carb, same with potatoes, yams, etc. generally if a vegetable grows above ground, such as brocolli, cauliflower, spinach, it is ok. I'm probably not the best person to advise on this as my own testing and low carbing experience is not that great. There are threads where this stuff is covered in more detail.
Thanks for that

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Amanda do you have the 'Carbs & Cals' book? You might find it useful.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get Carbs & Cals from Amazon. It was my bible when I first started.

You mentioned salad dressings apart from mayo. Why not mayo? I use mayo on all my salads. (Hellmans Real Mayo is virtually carb free but some brands do add sugar and use less reputable vegetable oils, so read the labels)

I can manage 1 ordinary tomato cooked with my fry-ups, and about 6 cherry toms with a salad, without doing my BS any damage. Your meter will tell you what you can cope with. (If you have a meter. If not, I urge you to buy one.)

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You can get Carbs & Cals from Amazon. It was my bible when I first started.

You mentioned salad dressings apart from mayo. Why not mayo? I use mayo on all my salads. (Hellmans Real Mayo is virtually carb free but some brands do add sugar and use less reputable vegetable oils, so read the labels)

I can manage 1 ordinary tomato cooked with my fry-ups, and about 6 cherry toms with a salad, without doing my BS any damage. Your meter will tell you what you can cope with. (If you have a meter. If not, I urge you to buy one.)
Thanks I will do