Cheat day

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I've found that I've changed my lifestyle so much under LCHF that I don't want to go back to what I perceived to be 'treats'. Sticky Toffee Pudding - a whopping 83gs of carbs in ONE SERVING - used to be what I loved, I honestly now enjoy my cheese just as much, if not more. I still drink Red wine, though less so I can afford to buy better wine. I still eat chocolate - just 85% and only occasionally.

Maybe ask me again in 6 months though, I'm only 3 months in - but honestly feel SO MUCH BETTER

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will stick my head above the parapet here! Although I generally stick to a lowish carb, full fat diet I still enjoy the occasional treat or high carb food but I tend to stick to the same ones which I've tested and know how they affect my BS

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anna, I completely understand the envy and jealousy. It can get the best of us at times. Hard to understand why we can't eat like everyone else. Although I do know a lot of diabetics that don't care and eat what they want anyway and just pay the consequences later. I try to picture in my head that whoever is eating what I want that they are spiking their bs and will pay the price. That turns me off and I move on. Takes time to get to that point though.
Like you, I say I'm going to allow it occasionally but when the time comes j never do.
I just got back from vacation and the highest I saw was 101. I was pretty happy. I don't celebrate with food anymore but it does take strength willpower and determination. However I did but myself some treats at a prime outlet mall. Haha
And yes, always dark choco

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Personally I've found that I've changed my lifestyle so much under LCHF that I don't want to go back to what I perceived to be 'treats'. Sticky Toffee Pudding - a whopping 83gs of carbs in ONE SERVING - used to be what I loved, I honestly now enjoy my cheese just as much, if not more. I still drink Red wine, though less so I can afford to buy better wine. I still eat chocolate - just 85% and only occasionally.

Maybe ask me again in 6 months though, I'm only 3 months in - but honestly feel SO MUCH BETTER
@PenfoldAPD Hi Mate, I'm Squeekyboy (Steve) I'm just starting out today on the LCHF after much reading on the forum & stuff people on here have kindly directed me to, such as Diet Doctor etc. Your words here, as with others, help me to believe that I can do this but like so many others on here, I like a chunk of chocolate & for me a bag of prawn flavour Crips poured over a couple slices of thickly buttered bread, is just fantastic but they have to go, I know. Someone sent me a shopping list that has been really helpful too (thanks again) but it looks like the cost of my weekly/monthly shopping bill is going to hit the roof, money wise, so do you have any tips please? Steve

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Squeekyboy yes for me LCHF has worked wonders. It does take a while to make the change - pace yourself, and also don't be hard on yourself - but be committed to the cause. Also, shopping takes a bit longer, be ready for that.

I agree it is maybe more expensive, but having said that I was spending money on takeaway and food deliveries that I never do now. It's just easier over the first few weeks I think to try eat at home.

My tip, if you can, is ensure you always have good food in your fridge. Dump the bad stuff now. I have a weekly food delivery - Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco etc all do them - which brings me good food so I don't have to find time to shop. Keep the same regular things coming - check the carbs, order the things you know are good for you.

Breakfast is usually eggs for me, maybe with spinach - add some cheese. This isn't expensive. Get some salad leaves in, that is a good lunch - or soup (but watch the carbs). Also do make sure you are eating enough - soup isn't high in calories and I felt a bit low afterwards.

If you really want bread look at LivLife bread - 3.8g of carbs a slice, just have 2 slices. It's small and thinly sliced but it is proper bread.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/ is another website I've found useful.

Good luck Steve, my results show LCHF can work. I'll be honest, it's not easy but 3 months later I honestly don't miss those pies and pasties. If you need anything else please message me.

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Hi @Squeekyboy yes for me LCHF has worked wonders. It does take a while to make the change - pace yourself, and also don't be hard on yourself - but be committed to the cause. Also, shopping takes a bit longer, be ready for that.

I agree it is maybe more expensive, but having said that I was spending money on takeaway and food deliveries that I never do now. It's just easier over the first few weeks I think to try eat at home.

My tip, if you can, is ensure you always have good food in your fridge. Dump the bad stuff now. I have a weekly food delivery - Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco etc all do them - which brings me good food so I don't have to find time to shop. Keep the same regular things coming - check the carbs, order the things you know are good for you.

Breakfast is usually eggs for me, maybe with spinach - add some cheese. This isn't expensive. Get some salad leaves in, that is a good lunch - or soup (but watch the carbs). Also do make sure you are eating enough - soup isn't high in calories and I felt a bit low afterwards.

If you really want bread look at LivLife bread - 3.8g of carbs a slice, just have 2 slices. It's small and thinly sliced but it is proper bread.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/ is another website I've found useful.

Good luck Steve, my results show LCHF can work. I'll be honest, it's not easy but 3 months later I honestly don't miss those pies and pasties. If you need anything else please message me.
@PenfoldAPD Hi again & thanks for the tips, I shall make good use of them & will ask only as needed, when not too sure about things. Much appreciated. Squeeky (Steve)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When people ask what I eat ( my grocery list) I say above ground veggies, avocado, all varieties of protein and some healthy fats. Done. Nothing else.
So fish poultry red meats eggs
Lots of green veggies mainly salad greens radish celery. Some broccoli asparagus and green beans
Avocado nuts seeds olives olive oil for fats.
I stopped trying to find replacements for carbs except veggie.
This makes my shopping list short cheap and easy.
It takes time to get a routine but once you do it's very easy and much easier to stay on track

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a cheat day today. Had a Jumbo cod in batter with chips. My 2hr PP bgl went up by 0,3mmol/L according to my SD Codefree, but dropped 1.2 on my NEO. Success! but maybe the protein bump will be large - it was a huge chunk of fish

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've just had a chinese take-away. No starchy carbs. Just crispy duck and watered down hoisin sauce. Lovely. My reward for all my hard work in reducing my bgs and fbgs for months now.
Might have a half shandy and nuts before bed. Its late night tonight. Yipee! :)

Reactions: 6 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had a chinese take-away. No starchy carbs. Just crispy duck and watered down hoisin sauce. Lovely. My reward for all my hard work in reducing my bgs and fbgs for months now.
Might have a half shandy and nuts before bed. Its late night tonight. Yipee! :)
You are keeping quiet about its resulting effect on bgl, i note. Hope you post this info when convenient??????

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It was daughters birthday today and I had a small slice of chocolate cake well I thought it was small anyway these things tend to be subjective any way. I have had a slice of my daughters birthday cake every year for the last 39 years and was not going to miss that for anything.

It only raised BG to 7.4 so far that is.

Reactions: 5 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You are keeping quiet about its resulting effect on bgl, i note. Hope you post this info when convenient??????
I'll give it another hour to see what my 2hr result will be. Although just started my shandy. Might be a very late test.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I peaked at 8.6 before bed. Ate 4 nuts and insulin and woke on fbg 6.4. :)
Sounds good, and is in line with your Jan HbA1c result. I asked because we use sachet stir fry hoisin sauce, and it gives me gyp. Chinese takeaways are notorious for spiking, and for me i think it is the MSG in the gravy that I am sensitive to.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know why a "treat" equates to Carbs.
Nor do I!!! :wideyed: I've found there as more than enough low carb treats both sweet and savoury that I can have without upping my glucose levels.

I believe that many people must have been brainwashed by an evil Carbs Monster.:wideyed::D

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have the Sainbury's Chinese which you just put into the oven. Usually have crispy chicken with a little S&S sauce, fried beef with sweet chilli sauce and some Chow Mein. Had it last night and was 6.8 after 1 hr and 6.4 after 2 and 5.2 this morning so it moved in the right direction!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nor do I!!! :wideyed: I've found there as more than enough low carb treats both sweet and savoury that I can have without upping my glucose levels.

I believe that many people must have been brainwashed by an evil Carbs Monster.:wideyed::D

Robbity
I haven't been brainwashed by any body or anything - I just know what I can and can't eat. If I try something and get a high BS reading I may try it again but, if I get the same results I won't have it again. For example I know I can eat seeded bread but not tortillas or Thins without my BS rising so I don't eat them!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Robbity
Nope. Just groomed effectively by the advertisers.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please dont throw stuff at me lol :) ...........

I "cheat" about once a month and its not just a day either :angelic:

I have a couple of days where I dont specifically "cheat" but I just do what I would have done most weekends before I was diagnosed... so a few beers friday night (just a couple) and then red wine which was my usual tipple "before" T2... and some cake:angelic:

Took my daughter for a meal yesterday and had fish n chips:) , sunday lunch today and a few beers and back on track tomorrow.......

The thing is I am quite strict with myself at all other times , I use myfitnesspal and hit my 1650 cals a day (40g carbs) spot on every day and dont cheat at all (tea total) and workout 3/4 times a week.......

Lost 3 stone in the last 6 months of LCHF and my last HBa1c was "not in the diabetic range" according to my DN....

One thing I have found tho is my bloods dont move from their normal 4.5-5.5 range.....i did some reading up and it seems to be that the carbs are used to resupply your stores so dont effect blood sugars as much ( non technical I know, but worth looking up)....

After a bit of experimentation I found that they start to creep up after about 3 days of not LCHFing, ......

I heard this quote years back and loved it "Everything in moderation , including moderation"

For me personally I think the odd blowout keeps me on track, but we are all different.........

Reactions: 4 people