chocolate

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I too was a complete choco-holic-still am...but 1 oe 2 squares of the darker chocolate for me satiates me brilliantly.....now you have reminded me that it is shopping day tomorrow!!!!!! Something else to add to the list!!!!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Another tip I learned on this forum was to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings by taking a spoonful of creme fraiche instead.

Works wonders for me. :p

anniep

That's the brilliant thing about the co-op 85% chocolate, they make a 40gm bar which is more than enough for a treat, without being tempted to eat the whole 100gm bar (which I would do). One bar does no affect my BG at all and is sufficient for one of those ladies chocolate emergencies.

If I remember correctly 100gm has about 18gm carb so a 40 gm bar has 7gm carbs - though as I am going near the co-op today, I must go in a buy a bar to check out just how many carbs there are in it - purely for research purposes you understand :twisted:

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
anniep said:
That's the brilliant thing about the co-op 85% chocolate, they make a 40gm bar which is more than enough for a treat, without being tempted to eat the whole 100gm bar (which I would do). One bar does no affect my BG at all and is sufficient for one of those ladies chocolate emergencies.

If I remember correctly 100gm has about 18gm carb so a 40 gm bar has 7gm carbs - though as I am going near the co-op today, I must go in a buy a bar to check out just how many carbs there are in it - purely for research purposes you understand :twisted:

Thankfully I shop at the co-op. So I will check also -- As you suggest - Just for research purposes of course :wink:

naomif57

I've just joined the forum having being diagnosed with T2 last summer, on Metformin 1000 mg slow release - which has killed my appetite and I've lost about 2 stone. Have a virtually vegan diet but love chocolate but doing my best to avoid it! Have taken to buying the occasional buy of raw chocolate on the grounds that the ones I buy are sweetened with Agave Nectar and are low GI. Has anyone else tried raw chocolate 0 my favourite at the moment is Lucoma Gold by Consious Chocolate.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Ardbeg, if you eat a whole 100g bar of Lindt 90% proof chocolate, you'll spend much of the next day locked in the bathroom :shock:

Viv 8)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I like a few squares of 85% Green & Blacks after my evening meal :) I seem to be fine with it too.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just read that dark chocolate has a good amount of magnesium which is good for DBs
Yipee :lol:
I like mine melted with Jersey double cream whipped into it poured over raspberries and/or strawberries ,but I am a skinny
CAROL

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I look out for 100% chocolate and you can get it!! I think Lindt do a 95% . Moser Roth from Aldi is 85% with Carb content 21.4g.
I bet Green and Black have added more sugar!!!
I never eat the sugar free varieties as they contain Maltitol which spikes my blood sugar as I found out when I bought sugar free halva!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ardbeg said:
I guess my problem was and still is WILLPOWER.

I could never have just "one or two squares". I ate the whole family sized bar or the whole packet of biscuits. :oops:

I seem to have lost my chocoholic cravings since being diabetic nut I have to agree re the biscuits I could easily polish off a packet of Jammy Dodgers given the opportunity.

An individual bar of 85% cocoa Sainsbury's Taste The Difference dark chocolate is all I eat now, each 25g bar is 4.3g of carbs. Finishes off a meal nicely with a black coffee
thumbsup.gif

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I buy Tesco's own brand plain dark chocolate and have about four squares most nights, it does not seem to have any detectable influence on my BS, but does satisfy my choc cravings.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Just bought a bar of Tesco's own 85%. Its 21g per 100, so 2g per square. 2 squares does it for me.
And only 91p per 100g bar!

Wife's non diabetic and she loves it. Once you get used to it, "normal" sweet milk chocolate becomes too sickly and unappealing!.

All the best - Steve

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Ricky said:
I look out for 100% chocolate and you can get it!! I think Lindt do a 95% . Moser Roth from Aldi is 85% with Carb content 21.4g.
I bet Green and Black have added more sugar!!!
I never eat the sugar free varieties as they contain Maltitol which spikes my blood sugar as I found out when I bought sugar free halva!!

Well, 100% would be cocoa, not chocolate. lol

Yeah, Lindt do a 95%. I had the Lindt 90% once and it wasn't OK, but not really the treat that G&B's 85% is. I think you are right, they have added more sugar.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ricky said:
I look out for 100% chocolate and you can get it!!

I buy 100% Hacienda Iara from Hotel Chocolat - it is an aquired taste and something you need to build up to - It's more expensive than your average choc at about £6 a bar but I got 3 at Christmas and I am only half way through the second one so a little goes a long long way. Though it took me a little while to decide if it was pleasure or pain I was feeling :lol: :lol: - but I love it now - although I don't eat it every day - My "everyday" choice is Lindt 95%

I was never a big sweet eater anyway and my son is the same - hubby was but has been following same lifestyle as me for 12 months and has lost 4 st so he doesn't bother much now either.

In fact as I am writing this I am looking at a bowl half full of Roses chocs on the desk that has been there since Xmas - they need chucking! - must do it today :lol:

galgal

daveosman said:
Diagnosed type 2 Jan this years. Put on 3 x Metaformin and 1 simvastatin. I weighed 15 stone waist was 40 inch and blood levels were 21.5 cholesterol ws 7.3

I now weigh 12.5lbs blood levels between 5 and 6 cholesterol 3.5 waist is now 34 and I'm feeling great.

Can someone tell me if eating 3 squares of Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate last thing at night every night is ok? I have been eating 3 squares every day for the last 6 weeks and the results above are the ones I have been getting.

well god how can you even have the strength to pick up that chocolate with you being only 12.5 lbs in weight - I've seen bigger babies :lol: