Code free reviews

Lilliepop

Hello. I use a code free tester but not sure about it, if you use one what do you think of it? I think mine gives false reading I take my sugar it reads one thing and if you I take it five mins later it's completely different.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello. I use a code free tester but not sure about it, if you use one what do you think of it? I think mine gives false reading I take my sugar it reads one thing and if you I take it five mins later it's completely different.

Hi @Lilliepop ,

It doesn't matter what meter you have, they are not overly accurate. If you take 2 tests with the same drop of blood you'll get different readings. Don't get too hung up on individual numbers, instead try to look for trends in your results.

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to admit I lost faith in my Code free as I was getting wildly fluctuating readings and was re testing quite a lot to confirm if it was correct, it would come back with 2/3mmol difference so have now purchased a Dario instead and my levels have been very steady and much more in keeping with what I expected. The code free always reads higher anyway which isn't a real problem if you take this into account but the fluctuations to me were unacceptable but many other people here are very happy with theres which obviously is absolutely fine, just down to personal preferences really.:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine seems fine.. I think the wildness of reading is probably more about my crazy body than the meter.. although I have been know to retest when I got a 10 rather than the expected 5.. must have had something dodgy on my finger .. overall so long as my readings go the right way I don't get too hung up on the absolute number.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never assume any of them are accurate - and comparison testing with the same drop of blood shows that up very clearly.

It must make calculating insulin doses very trying!

Luckily, I am T2, not on insulin, so all I need are the trends, and a rough guide of whether a meal sent me high, or whether it is time I ate again. :)

There are also other things that make the paying too much attention to the detail a hiding to nothing. Exactly the same meal can send a person up by different amounts on different days, depending on a whole host of different things - exercise, stress, tiredness, speed of digestion, alcohol, temperature... so it really is the trends that are important, not the detailed figures. :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also washing your hands before testing can make a big difference, if you had any food on your hands before the first test it will reflect on the result, if you then take a second test from the same spot then its likely the food was washed away by the first test therefore the second will be lower.

As already mentioned these test machines are not precise but they are good enough for what we need, much better than the urine tests we had to do 35 years ago :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's how they work it is just an idea of your levels just for that moment in time and 5 minutes later it will probably be different . You could eat exactly the same meal for a number of days running and you would get a different reading every time so just take the readings as an indicator of your average levels.