Codefree glucose meter readings

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP posted <<I know meters can vary but that's a big varience. Now I'm in a quandry wondering which is correct!>> i was replying to this question. I have not gone off topic. But I take your point and will not post again.

It would make a good thread subject all of its own. :)

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ost: 1061221, member: 94045"]I have been using that batch ending 37 since October. I find it consistent (other than the usual rogue readings we all get) and fine for spotting trends, up or down, and helping with dietary tweaks. I have done cross checks with my AccuChek Mobile. The AC does read a tad lower, but nothing significant when averaged over a period. Unless you rely on meter readings to inject the correct amount of insulin or swallow glucose tablets, the actual numbers do not matter. You really can't anticipate your HbA1c from the readings unless you test every 10 minutes 24/7. Just look for trends.[/QUOTE]
Thanks I know what you mean and I have noticed that some things do make me spike and I have dropped a lot of carbs from my diet. Cornflakes and crisps really raise my bg strangely chips dont its a big learning curve but I feel I'm winning.
Actually, I was replying to @lizzycat who is not medicated and therefore not going to drop into hypoland, and I did say numbers matter for injecting insulin or swallowing glucose tablets. As you fall into this group (on Gliclazide) numbers do matter for you and I understand that. They do not matter for Lizzycat to the extent that she needs to stress over meter inaccuracies. What she needs to do is put one of her meters away and stick to the other, watching for trends, and how quickly she rises and falls so she can tweak her diet. Stressing over the differences between 2 or more meters will not help her.
Actually, I was replying to @lizzycat who is not medicated and therefore not going to drop into hypoland, and I did say numbers matter for injecting insulin or swallowing glucose tablets. As you fall into this group (on Gliclazide) numbers do matter for you and I understand that. They do not matter for Lizzycat to the extent that she aneeds to stress over meter inaccuracies. What she needs to do is put one of her meters away and stick to the other, watching for trends, and how quickly she rises and falls so she can tweak her diet. Stressing over the differences between 2 or more meters will not help her.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ost: 1061221, member: 94045"]I have been using that batch ending 37 since October. I find it consistent (other than the usual rogue readings we all get) and fine for spotting trends, up or down, and helping with dietary tweaks. I have done cross checks with my AccuChek Mobile. The AC does read a tad lower, but nothing significant when averaged over a period. Unless you rely on meter readings to inject the correct amount of insulin or swallow glucose tablets, the actual numbers do not matter. You really can't anticipate your HbA1c from the readings unless you test every 10 minutes 24/7. Just look for trends.
Thanks I know what you mean and I have noticed that some things do make me spike and I have dropped a lot of carbs from my diet. Cornflakes and crisps really raise my bg strangely chips dont its a big learning curve but I feel I'm winning.

7[/QUOTE]
All. Would say about chips and other fatty scruff is to be careful of timing. Many find those a good deal slower to metabolise than other foods. Just once or twice, it might be an idea to test a little longer for those - say 2.5 and 3 hours? Of course, portion size, if you just had a couple might have impacted too.

I'm not saying that to rain on your BBQ, but more to make sure your findings are right.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried almost every meter on the market and they do vary a lot I'm using the accucheck mobile and the freestyle insulinx tight now. I'm getting as much as 2-3 point variations from the same drop of blood. One said 3.8,the other said 5.7.I knew I wasn't hypo so I didn't take any action to bring my BG up.
Both meters were checked with their control solutions and fell within the proper range.
Yes all meters must fall within gov't range here in. Canada as well.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One said 3.8,the other said 5.7.I knew I wasn't hypo so I didn't take any action to bring my BG up.
A 5.7 reading is just at the cutoff point at which we are advised not to drive. With the other reading concurrent , I would have to decide to take action to raise my levels if I was expected to be driving in the next 2 hours. If I had an incident while driving, and the law discovered my meter readings, then I could be prosecuted for driving while unsafe, and certainly for being an uninsured driver since this would probably invalidate my insurance.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This thread has left me uncertain about the accuracy of the readings I can obtain with the codefree I have just bought.:confused:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well John it is as accurate as any other meter. They have to meet the standard. What I found with the meter is that it was very consistent with its result unless it was crazily out whereas my accucheck was just random in the range when I could actually get a reading and not waste strips because of error codes.

You pay your monies and take your pick

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I suppose so. Will check it against my GlucoRx when am able and see what happens.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I suppose so. Will check it against my GlucoRx when am able and see what happens.

Best to stick to one meter, keeping the other as spare. No two tests will be the same, even from the same drop of blood on the same meter. All we are doing is looking for trends, upwards or downwards, and looking at which foods spike us unacceptably. The actual figures are only relevant if you are on insulin, Gliclazide, or similar medication and avoiding hypos/hypers.
The Codefree strips may read a tad high but tend to be consistent, as Andrew said. (There will, of course, be the odd rogue readings when you get a faulty strip or user-error, as with all meters)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 5.7 reading is just at the cutoff point at which we are advised not to drive. With the other reading concurrent , I would have to decide to take action to raise my levels if I was expected to be driving in the next 2 hours. If I had an incident while driving, and the law discovered my meter readings, then I could be prosecuted for driving while unsafe, and certainly for being an uninsured driver since this would probably invalidate my insurance.

Surely being below 5.7 is a good thing, isn't it? Sorry if I'm being stupid, but I've never heard that you shouldn't drive with a reading below 5.7. I'm Type 2 (not on meds) so is the advice re driving different for Type 2s and Type 1s, or if you are on insulin? I'm desperately trying to get my readings below 6, but need to be able to drive! My dad is Type 2 but on insulin injections, and I'm sure he drives when he has readings below 6 (which is hardly ever, tbh).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely being below 5.7 is a good thing, isn't it? Sorry if I'm being stupid, but I've never heard that you shouldn't drive with a reading below 5.7. I'm Type 2 (not on meds) so is the advice re driving different for Type 2s and Type 1s, or if you are on insulin? I'm desperately trying to get my readings below 6, but need to be able to drive! My dad is Type 2 but on insulin injections, and I'm sure he drives when he has readings below 6 (which is hardly ever, tbh).

It is only insulin users (and certain other diabetic medications) where you are obliged by law to test before driving in order to avoid any possible hypos whilst driving. You have no need to worry about it, but your father does. I don't know what the lowest legal level is, but it isn't 6! So you aren't being stupid. You can go as low as your body will allow you to as you are not in danger of having a hypo when you are unmedicated. (any more than any non-diabetic is)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the value of 5.7 came from my DSN because I can drop 6 mmol/L within an hour after eating an LC meal, and is also taking into account that my meter can read 1 mmol/L high
The DVLA rules are explained in:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/driving-with-diabetes.html

Last edited by a moderator:

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Oldvatr and @Bluetit1802. That makes sense. I will make my dad aware, although his readings are usually 10+ as he doesn't follow the advice given to him.
There was an accident in our village recently when a driver crashed his car after passing out at the wheel, it turned out he was diabetic and having a hypo. Luckily no one was hurt.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Oldvatr and @Bluetit1802. That makes sense. I will make my dad aware, although his readings are usually 10+ as he doesn't follow the advice given to him.
There was an accident in our village recently when a driver crashed his car after passing out at the wheel, it turned out he was diabetic and having a hypo. Luckily no one was hurt.
Good luck with that. We had a similar crash round the corner from us a couple of years ago, but unfortunately the outcome was 2 fatalities.
Last night i realised that i should not drive having started experiencing early hypo symptoms. i tested with both my meters. My Neo is reading 1 mmol high on the current pak of strips, and it read 4.8. My SD codefree read 9.6, I retested both, and the NEo showed 4.5, and the Codefree read 6.8, None of these readings corresponded to my status.