cold weather and insulin

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everyone does the cold weather delay insulin from working as im taking the right amounts but bgs rising high then at my next meal bolus my bgs are going too low as if previous meal insulin still on board :)

Reactions: IonutzPopa

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @karen8967 I find the change in temperature affects my BG levels and need more insulin, at the moment i'm staying pretty warm with 5 layers on so it's not had much impact, but reversely if it's really warm I need less insulin.

Reactions: karen8967
D

Deleted Account

Temperature affects all of us in different ways.
But it is likely the colder weather is increasing your BG. Maybe directly or maybe because you are not moving around as much or maybe you have picked up something in the cold.

Remember, if you go out, to keep your insulin and meter from getting too cold. The insulin will stop working/become less affective it is gets too cold. Your meter will temporarily not work if it gets too cold.

Reactions: karen8967

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everyone does the cold weather delay insulin from working as im taking the right amounts but bgs rising high then at my next meal bolus my bgs are going too low as if previous meal insulin still on board :)

Does this really happen if so it's been happening to me over the past 2 days. It never happened on the old 30/70 regime. On the MDI it is.