Comfort food

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alice, I have pork scratchings or cheese cut into small cubes for snacks, cottage pie made with either celeriac or cauliflower mash with plenty of cheese on top is nice or for a quick meal a cheese Spanish omelette is good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A coffee with cream is mine.

Before diabetes it was a coffee made with full cream boiled milk, no water. That was a throw back to childhood.

Main meal - as big a fry and grill up as will fit on my plate. Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, 97% sausage, one spoonful of baked beans, half a toasted Lidl roll with butter. Oh! and a small splodge of HP sauce.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My favourite comfort food is boiled eggs and buttered Lidl Protein Roll soldiers. I also occasionally really enjoy a minute mug cake with raspberries and full fat Greek yoghurt when I'm in a steamed pudding kind of mood.

And chocolate - I love chocolate - but nowadays I only have a square or two of 75% or above - preferably Lindt.

What I really miss is toad in the hole but I've never found a good enough recipe for low carb Yorkshire Pudding.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't comfort eat either, infact eating is a chore for me which I would rather avoid until absolutely necessary. The stress of worrying over BG puts me off constantly. I now see food as nutrition and not entertainment and have a few set meals that I eat on rotation as I know exactly what they do to my metabolism.

I drink copious amounts of coffee with cream though, probably more than is good for me.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a fairly sweet tooth at the moment and M&M's seem to be a bit of a go to snack for me (albeit only once or twice a week).

Mac n' cheese has to be up there with one of the ultimate comfort foods. I don't seek comfort from any dishes that I eat mind you, but mac n' cheese is certainly referred to as comfort food regularly:)

AliceChatsworth

Type of diabetes
Carer
What kinds of comfort foods are you looking for?

I have all kinds, both savoury and sweet :) I eat them because I enjoy them, but I stay aware of portion size and don't comfort eat in an 'emotional eating' way.
Savoury really. For stressful times when i need to eat but want something more comforting than a salad or an omelette

Reactions: deborabaratto

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Savoury really. For stressful times when i need to eat but want something more comforting than a salad or an omelette

I like cheese - either a good Cheddar or a speciality cheese. There are so many to,choose from, and going for something slightly different makes it a treat.

I also love macadamia nuts, Parma ham, stuffed olives, smoked salmon, etc

Reactions: AliceChatsworth

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy a baked avocado for lunch and eat them regularly. Treat it like a jacket potato. Split in half and remove the stone. Stuff with filling of your choice - I like tuna mayo and cheddar. V yummy! Cold sausages are good too with mayo - Heck chicken chipolatas :hungry: