Confused and exasperated

missy1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Over the last 3years I have been checked regularly with a fasting blood test. To start with I was registering above 6.5 to 6.7, but then jumped up to over 7.0+ but the GP who I was seeing for my results didn't acknowledge it and it was several months later when my current GP was assessing my results she informed me that at one stage I was actually diabetic, but due to loosing some weight I had gone back down into pre-diabetes stages. She now tests me every 6mths and in Dec I went for my 6mthly check - the results are now in and at 7.2. Now the locum who I saw today didn't want to give me my result and insists that I am still in pre-diabetes stage........................................am I or am I not ??? How long do I have to be monitored before a decision is made? My health is **** at the best of times & I for one don't want to be dangling on a thread with regards to this condition.

I was always under the general rule that if it was above 7.0 then you were classed as diabetic?

At the mow im a confused individual as everyone I see states different things *sigh, exasperated*

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Over the last 3years I have been checked regularly with a fasting blood test. To start with I was registering above 6.5 to 6.7, but then jumped up to over 7.0+ but the GP who I was seeing for my results didn't acknowledge it and it was several months later when my current GP was assessing my results she informed me that at one stage I was actually diabetic, but due to loosing some weight I had gone back down into pre-diabetes stages. She now tests me every 6mths and in Dec I went for my 6mthly check - the results are now in and at 7.2. Now the locum who I saw today didn't want to give me my result and insists that I am still in pre-diabetes stage........................................am I or am I not ??? How long do I have to be monitored before a decision is made? My health is **** at the best of times & I for one don't want to be dangling on a thread with regards to this condition.

I was always under the general rule that if it was above 7.0 then you were classed as diabetic?

At the mow im a confused individual as everyone I see states different things *sigh, exasperated*

Sorry to be pedantic but you need to be clear about the units you are quoting and the type of test.
In the UK an a1c level above 6.5% is usually treated as confirmation of diabetes. But 7mmol/L in a spot check is not, although it would high for a fasting level.

missy1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sorry to be pedantic but you need to be clear about the units you are quoting and the type of test.
In the UK an a1c level above 6.5% is usually treated as confirmation of diabetes. But 7mmol/L in a spot check is not, although it would high for a fasting level.

I wish I could tell you but alas the locum gp nor my gp gives me the full details - all I get told is the 7.2 from the fasting test that I have done every 6mths

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting blood tests (while on a low carb way of eating) vary from the low 6s to the mid 8s (mmol/l). It seems to be affected by a lot of variables not restricted to amount of sleep, what i have been eating, stress levels, time the test was taken and time i got up.

I know it isn't the answer you are looking for, but from my own fasting blood tests, using a home meter, i don't see that a single 7.2 is definitive proof of being diabetic.

My own surgery seem to be very disinterested in registering me as a T2 (and this after I have been monitoring my own blood glucose for 3 years, and need to stick to a very low carb diet to maintain 'normal' blood glucose).

The current culture in the NHS is to encourage newly diagnosed diabetics to manage with diet and exercise (no meds) until their blood tests show a higher average reading (HbA1c test).

If you anticipate developing diabetes in the near future, you may be able to delay it, (possibly indefinitely) using diet and exercise.

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I wish I could tell you but alas the locum gp nor my gp gives me the full details - all I get told is the 7.2 from the fasting test that I have done every 6mths
Phone the surgery maybe and clarify the results ??

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definately phone and the surgery to clarify if it was a fasting blood test and if it was it might be a goid idea to request an HbA1c test to confirm whether ir not you are a diabetic as not knowing either way must be so frustrating.